U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 PM

385 posts, read 533,431 times

Advertisements

Does wooded land (for building a house) exist e.g. 10-20 miles outside of Wilmington NC, if I wanted to buy 2-10 acres or more to build a house? Does wooded land have pine trees (some google photos seem to show this but i don't see how given the heat, I come from northern MN where pine trees are common but it is cold there!), or is it hardwoods or what? I plan to visit Wilmington late autumn on a road trip to figure out where to live, I like a lot about Wilmington on paper/forums/city-data. My goal is to find a city around 100,000 or less in population, 250,000 or less metropolitan-statistical-area, and Wilmington has that, what I am used too coming from Duluth MN (sick of winters!). I hate urban sprawl, traffic. Thus I want to find such a city without winters and to buy a wooded lot and build a very simple small (600-800 square feet) house, off the grid if possible, write, do art, commute into town for events, coffee, the beach. I am really looking forward to driving across North Carolina. Still considering western NC but I really do not like the idea of winter/snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 04:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,815,901 times
Lots of pine trees in NC, hardwoods too. My suggestion is to find a realtor and get him/her to find some land for you. Lots of land out there.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:09 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Thus I want to find such a city without winters and to buy a wooded lot and build a very simple small (600-800 square feet) house, off the grid if possible, write, do art, commute into town for events, coffee, the beach.
Just a reality check: the Wilmington area has occasional snow. See the climate data on the main City-data page. Every few years there can be several inches of snow. We are a bit north of Wilmington and it hit 9 degrees this past winter and many outdoor pipes froze.

Otherwise, you can undoubtedly find what you want. There are mostly pine woods on the coast, with a few hardwoods like water oalk and sweet gum trees.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,204,220 times
The mid Atlantic area has been called the great pine forest. There are a lot of pines of various varieties. The Southern Yellow Pine is what just about every house in the eastern US is framed with.

I personally am not overly fond of pine trees. They mostly are tall with few branches except near the top. Think of a dandelion. This is OK except when there are ice storms. They can get very top heavy, and lean over until the top snaps off and falls to the ground. There are isolated and sometime widespread areas this happens in almost every winter in the south. It plays havoc on power lines. Another issue is shallow roots. Lots of rain, soft soil and high winds will push them over. Bad news in hurricanes near the coast.

Beyond that, there are also some nice hardwood stands of beautiful oaks, maples, poplar and others.

If I were buying property to build, I would much prefer my home sat in a stand of hard woods rather than pines. Or maybe just clear cut an acre of pines and plant what you want in ornamental's with your house in the middle.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:43 PM

353 posts, read 472,334 times
I never knew anyone actually WANTED pine trees.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
I never knew anyone actually WANTED pine trees.
Pehaps the OP does not realize that southern pines are not the same species as Minnesota pines. Southern pines are tall and leggy and do not give much privacy. They tend to snap under ice, which is why people consider them a nuisance in landscaping.
Attached Thumbnails
Wilmington: wooded land 10-20 miles outside of town?-loblollypine.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or