U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 AM

35 posts, read 53,365 times

Advertisements

I'm probably having new-town, "I-don't-know-s**t" syndrome. I've moved here. I like it here. And yes, I've considered moving back out.

I'm frustrated at having to weed through many huckster business services to find anyone who behaves competently and keeps their verbal commitments.

Specifics
  1. I ask an AC service provider to give me a quote, for what I think should take an hour, and it becomes a 3 hour relationship-building session and his boss, owner of the company shows up and I meet him and it's like we're family now. When I get the quote it is egregiously over-priced - I know, I researched multiple options, I know +/- a few hundred dollars what it should be. It's as if all that schmoozing should make me forget reason. Really?
  2. I take a computer to be fixed - what in my home town would be 2 days at most - nothing happens. I contact the owner three and four times and just offer to take back my broken machine to repeated promises of he can fix it. To no avail. I finally - after 6 weeks! - walk away and post my experience in factual, not emotional terms, on Yelp! The owner frantically calls me directly (within hours) saying I am trying to destroy his business and why would I ever do that? --- uh, you failed - badly - and I want to warn others to avoid you. By the way, this same owner pays people with discounts to write positive Yelp! postings, and harasses others who post less than 5-star.
  3. A few people I've met seem to want to mention that they know the mayor, the DA, the chief of police, etc, etc in conversation. I mean, that's OK, but am I really so impressive you have to throw out every government official in my face to raise your brand?
Not all experiences have been like this and a couple of these are fairly recent. I've been trying to reactivate my Angie's-List account (it messed up due to my move), because I am really frustrated by the frequent poor quality of businesses I am finding. Anyone else experience this in Wilmington? Is there an alternative to wading through scores of hucksters to find honest, reliable technical service businesses?

I'm thinking I should start a business here and offer reliability, competency, and fair pricing. I would be looked at as an alien walking out of a spaceship. I know, I'm a little frustrated. It'll pass.

Just don't think I'm the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:55 AM

11,279 posts, read 19,833,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley05 View Post
I'm frustrated at having to weed through many huckster business services to find anyone who behaves competently and keeps their verbal commitments..... Just don't think I'm the only one.
Get used to it-- it is normal for the area. Tradesmen enjoy a "laid-back Southern" lifestyle. We have experienced guys who don't show up for a days' work until 11AM. We joke that Onslow County is really named On Slow County. Furthermore, nobody works on Sunday because it's against their religion and family values.

Indeed, if you started a business promising reliable service, it would be a hit.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 PM

I was talking with a guy at a boatyard painting his own boat. I asked him about it, because boat paints are pretty noxious and you need some flowing air or respirator. His words "most contractors around these parts are just looking to pay for their next six pack". I'm still checking if it's there, but I think I laughed my ass off.

I would pay big bucks for a somber, earnest contractor who showed up on time, charged fairly, and didn't pretend to be my best buddy.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 PM

353 posts, read 473,372 times
It sounds like you must be hiring your "contractors" off Craigslist, but what is a "contractor", anyway? Ordinarily when I hear the term, it's in reference to a general building contractor, but you seem to be applying the term to anyone who does any sort of service work? What sort of "contractor" are you looking for?

I do want to apologize for the service technicians being too friendly. It's a terrible character flaw among Southerners, I'm afraid. Hopefully in time they will learn to be as ill-mannered and abrasive as our newcomers.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,367,962 times
Here's the deal...Wilmington is full of "entrepreneurs"...but not all of them are made equally. Many of them just live in and near Wilmington because they like the coast, like to fish...whatever.

But there are plenty of "good" businesses in town. There are also plenty of "long time" businesses that are terrible.

My recommendation is to not hire anyone who you don't have a current reference for....unless their prices are just really good and then you have to just be patient. I did that last year with a tree removal company...took them 3 months to come and do it...but their price was half what a bigger outfit offered.

In terms of Computer, I use Island Computers on Market St near Blair Elementary. We have a friend that handles our A/C issues, but he mostly does Commercial A/C systems. Have used both R/C and Cannon in the past without any problems.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
It sounds like you must be hiring your "contractors" off Craigslist, but what is a "contractor", anyway? Ordinarily when I hear the term, it's in reference to a general building contractor, but you seem to be applying the term to anyone who does any sort of service work? What sort of "contractor" are you looking for?

I do want to apologize for the service technicians being too friendly. It's a terrible character flaw among Southerners, I'm afraid. Hopefully in time they will learn to be as ill-mannered and abrasive as our newcomers.
It ain't about being friendly like polite and courteous, it's that soupy full-of-it sloppy friendliness. You charge me a fair price, and you can come for Christmas dinner. You stick-it-to-me and I'll report you to the BBB and everyone else. And no, not Craigslist either. The company comes pretty well recommended.

So, please, get off the Northerners-are-evil bandwagon. I'm North Carolinian for 10 generations. Pardon me if I like to be kissed before I'm screwed.

The work is HVAC. I know the market. I should be charged $4500, parts, labor, extras, all in. Got a quote for 10 grand.

Last edited by Marley05; 05-07-2015 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,825,233 times
Did you come here to whine, or get a rec for a good hvac contractor? You had a bad experience with one, so find another one. I can recommend Green Dot HVAC...weird name, good company.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 05-07-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Here's the deal...Wilmington is full of "entrepreneurs"...but not all of them are made equally. Many of them just live in and near Wilmington because they like the coast, like to fish...whatever.

But there are plenty of "good" businesses in town. There are also plenty of "long time" businesses that are terrible.

My recommendation is to not hire anyone who you don't have a current reference for....unless their prices are just really good and then you have to just be patient. I did that last year with a tree removal company...took them 3 months to come and do it...but their price was half what a bigger outfit offered.

In terms of Computer, I use Island Computers on Market St near Blair Elementary. We have a friend that handles our A/C issues, but he mostly does Commercial A/C systems. Have used both R/C and Cannon in the past without any problems.
He he he . I like what you say about "entrepreneurs". Amen to that. I've heard good things about Island Computers too and next time will give them a shot. I was three weeks new in town when I went to the other place.

I like the coast and the fishing too, I actually went down a little in compensation taking a job here and was surprised as heck to not get the question "Are you applying here just because of the coast?", because as I said to my wife "if this job was in Durham, I wouldn't be applying"

We were lucky in Raleigh where we knew alot of good business owners that played fair (and some that didn't). That came from experiences wading through some bad ones, to get to that point. So, we've been a little frustrated at first, but in time, we'll know who to seek out and who to avoid.

My frustration shines through in my first post, but it's starting all over again and weeding through the hucksters to get to the pros.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Did you come here to whine, or get a rec for a good hvac contractor?
Maybe I did come here to whine. Did you come here to troll?

Nah, I've got neighbors who are in business in this town many decades. I can ask them and should have. I've been asking Chewbacca, when I should have been asking Obi-wan.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,825,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley05 View Post
Maybe I did come here to whine. Did you come here to troll?

Nah, I've got neighbors who are in business in this town many decades. I can ask them and should have. I've been asking Chewbacca, when I should have been asking Obi-wan.
Umm, a troll wouldn't offer you a good rec to solve your problem. I just don't think you're looking for a solution, thus my question. Thanks for confirming that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or