U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 05:37 AM

4,956 posts, read 2,198,563 times

Advertisements

I've been searching through POA documents etc for info fence rules in SJP and so far, not finding much.

I know I've seen metal fences, white picket fences and even some wood fences, which honestly, surprises me but ...

I have a neighbor that is gardening in his back yard. The way the houses are situated, this back yard is adjacent to my front yard and front porch. Apparently he has had problems with deer so his gardening is protected with strip lumber, 1x1, 1x2 etc and and what I would consider to be dog wire. He has a 10x20 fenced in area for tomatoes etc barely 30 feet from my front door. In addition, almost every shrub or bush in his back yard has a circular wire fence around it. Add 6 foot tall stakes to each tomato plant. Now he is building yet another bed and fencing it in.

In my opinion its ugly. Not only is it clearly visible next to my front yard but also from St James drive.

I hate to be the crappy neighbor and complain. But it is starting to get out of hand, again in my opinion.

I have planted a row of hedge on my side of the line. In a year or two they will grow up and I probably wont see it anymore. Its possible my future hedge will block most of his garden sunlight sunlight but I can't say I really care.

I'm bit surprised no one has said anything to him before now. Unless I'm overlooking it, SJP doesn't have too many restrictions on fencing so perhaps he is totally within his rights.

Right now I'm just trying to grin an bear it and fertilizing and watering my hedge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:54 AM

152 posts, read 183,269 times
Why don't you contact your property owner's association for help? Most of the plantations require you to submit any changes to landscaping and to the exterior of the house, after you submit the final plans for construction, for approval.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:03 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
Why don't you contact your property owner's association for help? Most of the plantations require you to submit any changes to landscaping and to the exterior of the house, after you submit the final plans for construction, for approval.
Because he/she views that as being a "crappy neighbor":

"I hate to be the crappy neighbor and complain."

Personally, I'd have no problem getting the POA or the Town Zoning official involved. Everyone knows, or should know, what they are getting into in these places, and should expect strict enforcement of the "rules".

Old 05-04-2015, 06:26 AM

152 posts, read 183,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Because he/she views that as being a "crappy neighbor":

"I hate to be the crappy neighbor and complain."

Personally, I'd have no problem getting the POA or the Town Zoning official involved. Everyone knows, or should know, what they are getting into in these places, and should expect strict enforcement of the "rules".
Well most of the plantations have an annual or semiannual inspection of the property, so it is just a matter of time. Most of these plantations have retired people who like being the neighborhood police who report any violation. If the neighbor is in violation, she will be informed.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:05 AM

784 posts, read 1,634,126 times
I respectfully beg to differ.... once the homeowner has been approved and inspected after construction and their performance bond has been refunded, there will be no more inspection by anyone at the POA... ever.

If something like ditchoc is describing has been "built / installed" on the adjacent property it may never be noticed by anyone ever... except ditchoc. It is, IMHO, that it is the "aggrieved" partys' responsibility / duty to gently bring it to the POA's attention for a drive-by and evaluation of the situation by the POA. If what has been installed is within the rules then so be it... but if it is improper / against the rules ( which, as ditchoc stated IS a bit fuzzy in the written regulations and does require a determination by the POA ) it should be addressed and / or removed / redone, so as to not infringe on dithoc's enjoyment of his property. In as much as I agree with ditchoc that I do not want to be a "snitch or bad neighbor" either, what's right is right and he still has his own rights as a dues paying member / homeowner to enjoy his property without having a neighbor wrongly intrude on it by building something that is not supposed to be there.

Athough.... there IS another route to take, one could broach the subject with the next door neighbor and see what he says, but since the "fences" have already been installed by the neighbor I would not think he would be very obliging... but perhaps I am wrong on that... perhaps.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 05-04-2015 at 07:13 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 AM

Just drove by the property in question... it is definitely in the offending property owners backyard and just a few feet from the property line ( which I would question ) and as stated earlier I do not believe that something like that is specifically covered in the written regulations.... IMHO it is definitely a call for the POA to make.... but as one drives by there it is not very noticeable from the street, because of the foliage, unless one is specifically looking for it and I still believe that they won't go there unless someone informs them of the "situation".

Old 05-04-2015, 09:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
The OP might also want to check out the Town of St. James' Unified Development Ordinance as it may contain some restrictions that the neighbor is in violation of.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:46 AM

After having built several homes here in St James... and upon further contemplation on the subject... I can state, absolutely, that nothing, no structure of any kind above ground including dog fencing or pool fencing is allowed in the rear yard setback of 30 ft.... without a submission and approval by the POA.

Furthermore, the "structure/fence" in question is not one that I believe would be approved..... "could" be wrong on that point though as it is done on a case to case basis.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:47 PM

897 posts, read 1,520,845 times
Isn't there a community garden for "farming" like what has been presented?

Old 05-05-2015, 02:38 AM

4,956 posts, read 2,198,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Isn't there a community garden for "farming" like what has been presented?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina