U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 AM

404 posts, read 2,458,102 times

Advertisements

anyone stayed at the holiday in resort in wrightsville/wilmington.
any other great affordable places
I have a 2 and a half year old and am looking for a kid friendy hotel,any opinions on what to do and when it warms up.
We love raleigh(have been here 9 weeks so far)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 AM

934 posts, read 991,745 times
I HIGHLY recommend the Atlantis Lodge in Atlantic Beach - all rooms are ocean front, and I *think* they all have kitchens, and they have a beautiful toddler pool, nice and under beautiful shade trees. The aquarium ( pine knoll shores is about 10 min from there, and theres a putt putt place about 3 minutes from there.

Its locally owned and operated too! The owners live there! (great people!!!)

We stayed at the holiday Inn many years ago, and it was WRETCHED- the rooms were dirty, the elevator was broken ( at the time we had an infant!), and the staff was not at all friendly! We left and stayed at the Atlantis instead, and its been our home away from home for the past 10 years!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:04 AM

how much is the atlantis lodge,
holiday inn was just renovated i heard

Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 AM

not bad, considering oceanfront and great rooms and service - they have a web site atlantislodge. com probably - do a search and it will come up for you on google easily.

we always go around easter- its just before the summer rate increase!

they also have the floorplans of their different rooms to see

Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 AM

217 posts, read 1,032,165 times
The Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort on Wrightsville Beach was renovated about 6 years ago. It is really nice and I would rate it the nicest hotel on the beach (I live in Wilmington). Very family friendly. In the summers, the pool is awesome. Very tiki, tropical feel. Plenty of kids as well as fun adults. Their weekend breakfast buffets are consistently rated "best breakfast" on the beach. Not sure about the rates.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,434,495 times
The former Holiday Inn at Wrightsville Beach is g-o-n-e -- has been for a number of years. I think it's called the SunSpree Resort. It's OK. The rooms were nice and clean, nice tile bathrooms, and beautiful views from almost everywhere in the hotel. I am not sure how kid-friendly it actually is, as I seem to recall mostly adult-oriented things, not a kids' room or area.

I think the Holiday Inn is relatively expensive, in season. Not to take business away from any place or anyone, the Atlantis Lodge sounds like a better deal. Wrightsville is a beautiful beach, but once there, you are sort of 'trapped' depending upon time of the year and traffic. I only enjoyed going when my family had a house there and we didn't have to go anywhere. I think Atlantic Beach has a better reputation for being family-oriented.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 AM

so if i stay at the atlantic lodge,any tips on things to do places to eat.
When is it warm enough to go?
I have my wife,myself,and a 2 year old-is their a particular unit you suggest?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 AM

I really don't think I would go much before Easter...the temps are warm, but you have to remember there is a pretty cool breeze off the ocean quite often. This past year when we went, it was a lot cooler than in years past- we ended up having to buy some sweatshirts! lol

The unit- depends on your needs- we do a lot of cooking to save money, so we always get the one with the two beds, family room and kitchen. The hotel staff is great at making recommendations on where to eat though!

there *used* to be a place in Beaufort (right over the bridge) called the Net House- AWESOME food- go early because lines form! they do not take reservations. A few years back I became allergic to shellfish, so I havent been in a long time

theres lots of great places to eat and visit- and your 2 year old will love the aquarium!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 AM

836 posts, read 3,158,822 times
We personally prefer Wrightsville to Atlantic for a number of reasons. First, it is closer, being a quick, straight shot two hour drive from Raleigh. Second, you have a real city nearby (Wilmington) that has good shopping, restaurants, art galleries, a great river walk, carraige rides, etc. Wilmington also has a wonderful children's museum that your 2 year old will love, if you hit a bad weather day. It is fun to walk around downtown, along the river walk and get ice cream, look at the boats, etc. There are a number of places to eat out on the river (Elijah's and Pilot House, to name a few).

The state aquarium is about 45 minutes from Wrightsville in Ft. Fischer and is really great, including a two story tank with diver talks, etc. It is right on the beach too. Plus, it is right next to the ferry to Southport, so you can go across on that, take some bread to feed the gulls on the ferry and eat lunch in Southport. Then come back to WB from Southport along the mainland (about 30 minutes).

We have a place at WB, but have friends that have enjoyed it. In the summer, they have kids camps, a sitter list, a playground, plus indoor and outdoor pools. We ran into friends down there over the Christmas holidays and their kids were having a good time playing on the beach and then hitting the indoor pool. The H.I. Sunspree also has a big dining room looking out of the ocean.

We are actually headed to WB tomorrow and, despite the weather, expect it to be busy. We love it this time of year, cause the beach is not as crowded, plus I can take the kids on the beach and don't have to be on full alert, since they will not be swimming. We just hang out and look for shells and build castles, etc. None of constant viligence required in the summer. WB is a funky little beach...I don't know why the PP talked about being "trapped" here. It is on an island, like most NC beaches, with two bridges in and out, but it is just a beach like any other. There are places to eat, a great hot dog place, frozen custard place, surf shops, etc. all in walking distance from most parts of the beach.

Have fun!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 42,807 times
Default Cut to the Chase

Overall Wrightsville Beach is a very safe place for children except the ocean, and that you have to monitor constantly for rips.

The best place to stay is the Blockade Runner. It is small enough to always know what is going on, and the staff knows when there is someone there who is just not right.

You can never go wrong with them, and they will look out for you. Not the same thing at the larger resorts.

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina