U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 04:12 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflanagan View Post
I don't know, Dawg...I heard about the film industry employees/real estate directly from a local. Maybe they were mistaken.
They were. Not much inventory on the market now, sales brisk, prices rising. S'port never had many residents working in film anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,897 times
Summergal15-My wife and I are also from NJ (exit 9), are close to retirement age, and have spent some time looking at the NC & SC areas to ultimately retire to. In coastal NC, we've been to New Bern, Greenville, and Wilmington. I find New Bern a bit sleepy and, unless you are big into boating, not much attraction. Greenville and Wilmington are both college towns, which ordinarily is a plus...more sports and cultural events, more artistic and a lively vibe. But, I've walked the entire downtowns of both and find Greenville lacking. Wilmington, on the other hand, has a viable downtown with a (board) River Walk which hopefully will get even better. Wilmington also built a new ersatz downtown called Mayfaire. Wilmington has the beaches, the golf courses, the theater (Thalian Hall and UNCW), the shopping, the better medical facilities, etc. Maybe 8 years back, when Las Vegas was the fastest growing metro area, Wilmington was #2. In 2014, The Villages in FL was the fastest growing metro area and Myrtle Beach SC (about 50 miles from Wilmington) was #2. Right now, we are leaning towards one of 3 planned communities in Leland, 2-3 miles from downtown Wilmington. These communities are Magnolia Greens, Waterford and Brunswick Forest.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 34,008 times
Well, we're back from our road trip to coastal NC/SC!! As I mentioned, we didn't have much time (only 5 days) so we had to be very selective in what we could see. My fiance wanted to have a little vacation (not just be driving the whole time), so we drove directly to N. Myrtle-Cherry Grove Beach, SC, (from NJ) and stayed in a smaller motor lodge right on the beach for 2 days (beautiful!) - great way to start things (especially after 12+ hr. drive)! N. Myrtle is very nice for vacationing but seemed too congested for living year-round (Myrtle Beach - the main hub - seems too commercial for our tastes). We toured around Little River and Calabash, SC, and Sunset Beach (mainland), NC. Nice areas but hard to find a "town/neighborhood" atmosphere there. Then we drove on to Wilmington, NC, where my friend lives near the UNCW campus and stayed with her for a visit. We spent time in the city of Wilmington, NC; and as Chargeon2 notes, it has a lot to offer - liked it! (including the historic riverfront and historic area). Nearby Wrightsville Beach was also wonderful with blue-green water when we were there. There are also diverse housing developments you can live around the Wilmington suburbs. We also took a day trip to Southport, NC. LOVED! the charm of the town, "neighborhoods," and waterfront (and of course, we stopped at 'Fishy Fish' restaurant where 'Safe Haven' was filmed). Southport reminded me of a smaller Cape May, NJ, which is close to my heart. I could really see myself in Southport - quaint, small-town feel with enough amenities nearby (shopping, beaches, etc.), and looks like it would not be desolate in winter. However, the cost of even small houses in the 'in-town' area of Southport are higher-priced than other NC places. On the downside of the trip, there were record breaking hot temperatures (for June) - 100+ degrees - while we were touring, which gave us pause as to whether we could handle the sub-tropical heat and humidity of SC/NC summers (i.e., trading NJ cold winters for extreme heat in NC summers), as well as the threat of hurricanes. Before leaving on our road trip, we researched 'hurricane stats,' and Cape Hatteras and Morehead City are ranked #1 and #2 in cities and islands affected by tropical storm and hurricanes, which made us nervous about the Morehead City/Beaufort area (albeit Wilmington, NC is ranked #5 - see Hurricanes/Tropical Storms what cities and islands get hit most (rankings)). All in all, we had a great time on our road trip - it was a fun adventure! - and it was very helpful to visit SC/NC first-hand as we consider places we might like to retire. Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas - they were also very helpful!

Old 06-20-2015, 02:04 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal15 View Post
Thanks for the above ideas! I've also recently heard good things about Sunset Beach - but I wouldn't want to be on a barrier island with the common threat of hurricanes - but just in-land, perhaps, in Carolina Shores or Calabash. Are these places worth seeing during our vacation to coastal NC to consider for retiring based on what we're looking for (in my initial posting)?

So far, it sounds like possible recommendations are to take a look at: Southport, Swansboro/Cape Carteret, Morehead City/Beaufort, maybe Wilmington - is that right? Did not hear endorsements for New Bern (or Trent Woods), Edenton, Washington, Williamston. Sounds like we should not be put off by crime stats in the towns I've mentioned.

Thanks for your ideas and more thoughts if you have them!
For some reason that many of us wonder about, the area around Southport and down to the South Carolina border do not seem to get the amount of hurricane activity that Wilmington and the Outer Banks do. If night life is what you are interested in, then the closer you are to South Carolina will be your best idea. Myrtle Beach is within driving distance and is a year round place to be. Also the further south you go the warmer it gets. Alligators actually come as far north as the NC/SC border.

You may also want to know that the coast is losing ground and may want to go inland a little. I noticed a classmate of mine lives in Supply, North Carolina. She was our homecoming queen so I am sure she has picked a nice place to live. I have several friends that live in the Tabor City, Whiteville and that general area. They all seem to like it so you may end up with more native North Carolina residents that know the best places to live at the coast.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/lawa/main.php I have lived in North Carolina most of my life but just recently decided to turn off and visit this place. The lake is huge and the area is so interesting.

Last edited by NCN; 06-20-2015 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 06:50 PM

126 posts, read 147,660 times
Next time down check out the New Bern area. It has a lot to offer.
Most important, you made it back home safely, That is a lot of traveling you did.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:48 PM
NCN

We go to a timeshare at Fairfield Harbor. There are retirement homes in the area too, along with inside and outside pools, a golf course, marina, etc. I enjoy visiting there but I would be really careful buying in the area because of the amount of water the local rivers are subject to carry from further inland. If I were buying in the coastal areas, topography would be my first concern.

When we visit the timeshare we like visiting Little Washington, Beauford, and the oldest town in North Carolina called Bath. If you could find one of the older homes that have been there for years, it might be a better choice than the newer homes they stick just anywhere. We also traveled onto Cedar Island and what I saw there was alarming to me. It appeared to us that many homes had storm damage and they were being elevated during repairs. I did not know the area enough to know what was going on, but I wouldn't be interested in that area at all.

Southern Pines would be a safer retirement community without the water. I consider Beauford and Southern Pines as a more classy retirement option. You sound like you are interested in community and getting involved.

Check the average temperatures and snowfall of the towns along the coast. We have miles of coastline and the Gulf Stream keeps the temperatures warmer in the coastal region but there can be big differences in the weather near Virginia and South Carolina. I have been on the Outer Banks when it was raining sideways. My husband was having to load our car in that weather and some really strange language was coming out of his mouth. After he got the car loaded at Barrier Island Station in Duck, N. C. we had to put his shirt in the dryer and dry it before we left. That was after we squeezed the excess water out before putting it in the dryer. Personally I would not consider anywhere except Southport and south of there to buy.

We have a very flexible timeshare plan and can get very reasonable places available about any time that we are interested in doing so. www.extraholidays.com I have found a website of a couple who has spent the last two years living in timeshares and moving every week. www.fulltimetimeshare.com They have included their costs of rent. I think I would prefer to pick an area and spend several weeks in one area such as the Outer Banks. That way you could see what it is like living in the area without committing to purchase. As one timeshare owner at Edisto Island said, "I will let Wyndham worry about the hurricanes." Hurricane heads your way, cancel the reservation and move. The most you can lose is about 15 days of rent. For RCI members using "last calls" and other specials they offer that could be as little as around $200 per week. Our stay in Duck, N. C. was in a two bedroom lock-off unit that costs us $189. That was before the year 2000. It is usually a little higher now for the periodic $200 weekly specials.

Last edited by NCN; 06-21-2015 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 PM
NCN

North Carolina Major Rivers - Bing Images

Found a river map for you.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...verlay&first=1 Just keep clicking on the forward arrow and there are many maps to learn from.

What I was talking about New Bern is that the river that feeds into the area goes almost to the Virginia border and brings water from a large area. You would not only need to be concerned about the rain in the area but water coming from a long way into the state.

Beaufort not Beauford as I spelled it in the last post. Same spelling as the town in South Carolina but we say "Bowfort."

I just noticed on the maps the area I suggested has some swamps. I wish you well in your searches. Think I will stay in Sweet Union County.

Last edited by NCN; 06-21-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 AM

10,676 posts, read 11,296,076 times
I wouldn't worry overly about the hurricane situation. It's certainly something to be aware of, but I don't like the way that HurricaneCity site ranks areas. They say areas "affected most by tropical storms and hurricanes". Well, sure, the coast of NC may be "affected", but that may just be a little rain and some bigger waves. Far, far, FAR more hurricanes hit Florida than any other state. Since they started keeping records 22 category 3, 10 category 4, and 2 category 5 hurricanes have hit Florida. By contrast in that same time period 12 category 3 hurricanes and 1 category 4 hurricane have hit NC and 0 category 5s. Texas and Louisiana also have more major hurricanes than NC.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 34,008 times
Thank you for your comments! NCN - you mention Beaufort as being a possible good place to retire/live, but I would be concerned of flooding especially due to hurricanes (Morehead City/Beaufort was #2 for hurricane hits, 2nd to Outer Bank, NC), although Poppydog is not as concerned. You also mention Southport as not as much of a hurricane risk, but I've read in postings that the land in Southport is 'sinking' (a different term was used), so is that a concern? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:04 PM

10,676 posts, read 11,296,076 times
If you want to avoid hurricanes, but still want to live on the southeast coast look at Georgia and South Carolina. They have the fewest hurricane landfalls, but really it's a possibility ANYWHERE along the east coast as Superstorm Sandy showed us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or