Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 25,053 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I live in and grew up on Long Island in New York. I am 34 years old. I am looking to relocate to the Coastal NC Region, as it's the closest place that I can find to what I grew up with, small town, beach type of communities. My area certainly has changed for the worse since the 80's.

So, for years I started to think about re-locating, and keep coming back to Coastal NC. I was thinking Crystal Coast region (Outer banks) or Wilmington and surrounding areas. I do however have a few questions that I have lacked finding answers to in my research.

I am a Master ASE Certified Auto Mechanic and have been for 15 or so years now. What is he job market here like for someone like me? What can I expect to be a fair wage? I have dealership experience as well.

I'd like to eventually open my own auto repair shop, is there a market in these regions for this, or are there a lot of repair shops with dedicated customers already?

My wife is an Equestrian, and we both love it. I am seeking to eventually to buy a house in one of these regions, where we have a decent size house, lots of land for horse stables, a big garage for me, and possibly on the water, could be on a creek, etc so we can take the boat out fishing, water sking, cruising, or into town for dinner, activities. We have no kids, and do not plan on any.

I anticipate we would likely rent a house for awhile until we get established within the community.

Idealy, along with the housing requirements listed above, we prefer low crime, and affordable living. Here on Long Island in New York, there is now High Crime, ultra liberal laws, super high cost of living, property taxes are insane (12k a year for 1 acre), sales tax, car insurance, utilities, etc. We are taxed to death into poverty. Unless you live in poverty, or are filthy rich, you can no longer make it here. The middle class is non-existant anymore.

We are not typical New Yorkers. We LOVE the outdoors, activities, 4 wheeling, shooting guns, riding dirt bikes and America. Will you have us?

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 05:45 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDude109 View Post
I was thinking Crystal Coast region (Outer banks) or Wilmington and surrounding areas. I do however have a few questions that I have lacked finding answers to in my research.

I am a Master ASE Certified Auto Mechanic and have been for 15 or so years now. What is he job market here like for someone like me? What can I expect to be a fair wage? I have dealership experience as well.
I think you could probably find a job here in one of the higher growth areas. Wilmington has the largest population, and is probably the best market for auto mechanic jobs. The Crystal Coast population between Cape Carteret, Morehead City and Beaufort is quite a bit smaller. It is still likely to experience growth in the next 10 years, so there are job prospects there. Look at the Jacksonville job market also as there are many large dealerships there. It is possible to live in Morehead City and commute to Jacksonville.

The Outer Banks (Kitty Hawk, Manteo, etc) has a very small permanent population, so I would expect very few mechanic jobs. Unless you have connections, I would not suggest locating there.

I have no idea what auto mechanics are paid, except that I am sure it is less than Long Island. We have a lower cost of living in a desirable area, so you should plan on lower wages. I'd suggest trying the GlassDoor website for an idea of of payscales.

Otherwise, I think you would fit in well on the coast.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 PM

goldenage1,

Thank You for your reply. I've heard mixed reviews on Wilmington in terms of affordability and crime rates. Can you shed any light on this, or the better, lower crime rate areas to be in?

In terms of Jacksonville and living in Moorehead, how long of a commute is that in miles round about? Looking at the map, it's hard to accurately gauge.

I'm looking to get away from long island not only for the **** poor leadership, abnormal high cost of living, but also ever increasing crime rates. I'm not as young as I used to be, and well, in my older age, I don't have time to beat those bums with a large stick! hahaha

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Thank You for your reply. I've heard mixed reviews on Wilmington in terms of affordability and crime rates. Can you shed any light on this, or the better, lower crime rate areas to be in?

In terms of Jacksonville and living in Morehead, how long of a commute is that in miles round about? Looking at the map, it's hard to accurately gauge.
I was assuming you would have to work for a major auto dealership, which normally means an urban or suburban setting. Correct me if I am wrong.

If you worked in Wilmington, the dealerships are located in safe areas on automibile rows. OTOH, the crime is mostly confined to public housing and downtown areas, and it is easy to avoid those areas when you work at dealerships. See my other comments on crime in Wilmington, and those of poster HP91.

In any case, I assumed you would prefer to live out in the country. Towns like Rocky Point, Burgaw and Maple Hill would give you lots of acreage, and you would still be able to commute to Wilmington.

Regarding the Jacksonville suggestion. Morehead City is more like an hour's commute (43 miles), and that's a bit too long. However, for a job in Jacksonville, you could easily live in a closer location like Swansboro, Cape Carteret, Hubert, Maysville, etc, and be out in the country with acreage. Otherwise, there are a few dealerships in Morehead City. New Bern is another small city with auto dealerships where you could find homes with acreage and water acess.

BTW, you can also find creek front acreage in Hubert and Cape Carteret, but expect to pay a premium for it. Like anywhere else, waterfront lots are desirable and expensive.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:32 PM

goldenage1,

You bring up very valid thinking points. I dont have to be working in a major auto dealership, I could just as well work at any repair shop, though I'd wager the major dealerships, like up here, pay much more. Nonetheless, my end game is still the same, Opening my very own automotive repair shop in a decent sized town.

I've been so close to opening my own shop here in NY, but money has always been an issue. I'm conflicted as to what areas to check out now that we have spoken.

Living on acerage with backyard, or very local water way access would be ideal. I often have visions of walking down my own dock after a hard day at work, and hoping in the boat with the old lady and heading on in to town for dinner and a water front stroll through town.

My wfe has been very good to me all these years so far, and has been by my side, good and bad. I owe it to her to make her dreams come true of having her own stables and land.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Living on acerage with backyard, or very local water way access would be ideal. I often have visions of walking down my own dock after a hard day at work, and hoping in the boat with the old lady and heading on in to town for dinner and a water front stroll through town.

My wfe has been very good to me all these years so far, and has been by my side, good and bad. I owe it to her to make her dreams come true of having her own stables and land.
I think your dream is possible, but you need to find the right employer. I think there's a sweet spot to live in the triangle formed by Jacksonville, New Bern and Morehead City. The employers are going to be in the major towns.

Just a suggestion for talking with future employers: Don't talk about how bad Long island is, bacause it makes you seem like a complainer. Don't say you want to "retire" to North Carolina. Accentuate the positive about why you want to live in North Carolina.

Next, some reality checks. The homeowner's insurance covering your "wind and hail" insurance is going to be expensive. For example, on a $300,000 house we pay $2300 in homeowner's insurance and $1900 in county property taxes. You may also have to buy flood insurance if you are located on waterfront, and that may be an additional $600-1000/year.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the great replies and advice, goldenage1.

How are the hospitals up in the Wilimington area, do you have any experience with them? Are there better hospitals in the triangle areas in which you speak of?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
How are the hospitals up in the Wilimington area, do you have any experience with them? Are there better hospitals in the triangle areas in which you speak of?
The New Hanover Regional Hospital in Wilmington is very good to excellent for most things. Onslow Memorial is also OK for most things. Greenville also has the ECU Medical School and some excellent hospitals.

However, if you have a really specialized condition, you would be better off at a teaching hospital like Duke or UNC, and they are a 2 to 2.5 hour drive away.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:31 PM

Great, Thanks goldenage1. I am going to call some dealerships in Wilmington this week, see if anyone is hiring, how often they hire, pay scale, etc.

You've been a tremendous help. Thanks again

Old 05-12-2015, 09:45 AM

I was doing some research today with opening an automotive repair shop in ogden to the heart of wilmington. I must say, I was very impressed with what independent garages were charging per flat rate labor hour. Seems to be exactly in line with what we charge up here. Even without opening my own shop right away, this also gave me insight into how much techs like myself should expect to get paid. NICE!

I think once I get settled in for a few years, opening my own shop won't be as scary as it is here. Now, I need to go call some real estate agents to see what repair shops rent for.

Keeping this thread open for others, as well as any other input. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina