U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 07:01 PM

364 posts, read 229,190 times

Advertisements

My mother and father have asked me to help them find a new place to live. They are both retired and on SS now only requirement is lower cost of living,no big cities,near major medical center....so where should I tell them to look? Also considering SC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,847,523 times
Housing budget? Rent or buy? Whats their definition of a major city? Definition of "near"?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Housing budget? Rent or buy? Whats their definition of a major city? Definition of "near"?
Rent for now up to 800$,major city um no bigger than 20k,near the water as they can get,dog friendly,flat entrance,no stairs in house....they are liking Edenton?

Old 05-11-2015, 11:53 PM

11,313 posts, read 19,911,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Rent for now up to 800$,major city um no bigger than 20k,near the water as they can get,dog friendly,flat entrance,no stairs in house....they are liking Edenton?
I've been checking the rental listings in Realtor.com. Edenton is a nice town, but there is nothing for rent in their budget. (The cheapest was $1100/month.) It is going to be tough to find something affordable, safe, and willing to accept a dog.

Here are some other options. There are several houses in Elizabeth City, but you should check the safety of the neighborhood. I also saw a 1 bedroom condominium on the first floor in a gated community in Hertford at $750, but it was a month-to-month rental.

There are some 2-bedroom duplexes in Swansboro within their budget. Also some apartments in New Bern. I checked Oriental, but there was nothing accepting a dog. You might keep checking Washington, Chocowinity, Morehead City, Sneads Ferry, Hampstead and Southport.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-12-2015 at 12:02 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 06:55 AM

183 posts, read 242,982 times
New Bern may be possible but the 800 may be difficult.East Carolina Health System is here for medical needs.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:08 AM

Their options open up a bit if they are willing to live in a mobile home. There are also numerous houses from $650-750 in places like Plymouth. I would not want to live there because they are "in the middle of nowhere", a long distance from the water or a hospital. The parents might be OK with places like that if they accept that they will have to drive for medical services.

Note: New Bern is a little too large for their criteria, but I suggest surrounding towns like Trent Woods, or Havelock.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:36 AM

I suggest checking the various Craigslists -- Wilmington, Jacksonville and Eastern North Carolina. I happened to see a small 2-bedroom brick house in Sunset Beach for $750/month. It's probably gone now, but I thought it might be perfect for the couple.

I also suggest they use the search engines like Zillow and Hotpads. Zillow is great for moving around maps, but it doesn't filter for pet policies. Realtor is good, but you have to specifiy a town and a radius of 20 miles.

If the couple find a town they like, that they might leave their name with the listing agent for future listings.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:14 PM

They are using Zillow as far as I know. My father just said my mother found a great retirement community in Crystal Beach,Florida? Ugh...she told me she didn't want to move to Florida but he is letting her do her thing until she narrows it down and they save enough to move...

Old 05-12-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
My father just said my mother found a great retirement community in Crystal Beach,Florida? Ugh...she told me she didn't want to move to Florida but he is letting her do her thing until she narrows it down and they save enough to move...
I guess that wavering is part of the process of finding your best spot. We looked on the Internet for several years before settling on Coastal North Carolina. We thought about Florida, but year-round hot weather did not appeal to either of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or