Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 05:57 PM

15 posts, read 25,053 times

Advertisements

Can anyone lend any insight on the process of building a house on land you purchase? I'm starting to think that the only way to get what we want, is to build it from scratch.

I Know prices can vary, dependent upon size, materials, etc, but I'm just looking for an average price, average time frame, etc? I'd say the house we would want would be 1 story, 3-4 Beds 2-3 baths 2 car garage, but would consider detached garage.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDude109 View Post
Can anyone lend any insight on the process of building a house on land you purchase? I'm starting to think that the only way to get what we want, is to build it from scratch.

I Know prices can vary, dependent upon size, materials, etc, but I'm just looking for an average price, average time frame, etc? I'd say the house we would want would be 1 story, 3-4 Beds 2-3 baths 2 car garage, but would consider detached garage.

Thanks in advance.
There are many local builders who will build on your land. I have seen quotes that you should assume a minimum of $125/square foot. However, I suspect it could be done for less, especially if you can do some finishing yourself.

For one example, H&H Homes generally builds in developments, but they will build on your land within 40 miles of Wilmington. They use their standard plans but do some customizing. Web site here: Custom Built Homes | H&H Homes

I believe that Logan Homes and Bill Clark Homes will also build on your lot. You might search the forum for others.

For timeframes, the production builders around here can finish a house in 8-10 weeks, assuming all the utilities are in place and the lot is flat. If you have to get septic permits, dig wells or build a road, it would obviously take longer.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:41 PM

15 posts, read 25,053 times
goldenage1,

Thank You! You have been a tremendous help so far! You seem to have endless knowledge and I appreciate that. I'm still considered young @ 34, but I am glad for people like you. My father was a real estate developer and builder, but he passed some years ago, and I have no one else to ask about this sort of thing. You're amazing, Thanks again!

Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
I've built 3 homes for myself or I should say, I've had 3 homes built.

The building process generally takes about 6 months.

There are so many things to take into consideration, I'll try to rattle off a few.

The house you build will at least in part be determined by where you build it. It will need to "fit in" the neighborhood and conform to HOA/Architectural guidelines etc for the community, unless you build it "out in the country" somewhere where you can do pretty much what you want.

Pretty much every piece of a house can be low end to high end. Low end quality in paint, lumber, lights and plumbing is not where you want to be. High end in a lot of things are generally reserved for the rich and famous in multi-million dollar homes. Most people are somewhere in the middle. You want a nice place, that doesn't break the bank, with reliable components. The quality of carpet, trim, appliances, etc and have a significant effect on price per square foot.

People like what they like, and want what they want, but unless you have money to burn I would not build a house that it too far from "normal". At some point in time you will want to sell it for what ever reason. It can be really hard to sell a home that is unconventional. At the same time, a lot of design features like sky lights, dormers that let in sunlight, tray ceilings, arched doorways, large windows, nice landscaping and so on can add a dramatic feel to a home, can be added for a moderate cost during construction, make the house yours and one of a kind and help resale down the road.

Talk to several builders, at least three. Go in with a reasonably clear idea of what you like. Get quotes/estimates on the same or nearly the same house from each. Get a "turn key" price. Many builders are shifting responsibility for cost on some facets of construction onto the the owner. Things like LP gas tanks, some surveys, and so on. Builders also like to put in limits, that is, they will only pour so much concrete, anything over, you pay extra for. Ask a lot of questions about every detail. Try to minimize added cost. Realize that you will end up spending several thousands of dollars more than the quoted price for some reason or other weather it is for a bonus room up grade, or moving costs, or a new grill for the patio or deck. Find a builder that has a long history of building in the area. There are regional differences in construction techniques and materials plus someone with a long history can be researched for reliability, honesty, and references. Use the builder you feel comfortable with. I would use a builder that encourages you to be involved. If they do not want you on the construction site for "liability" or other reasons, I would be leery.

During construction, live near by if you can. Visit the site regularly if not daily. Get to know the sub-contractors when you can. They are generally professionals that know their job and I have found most willing to answer questions and discuss details you may be interested in. During the mechanical phase, that is, HVAC, electrical, plumbing and so on are being roughed in, is a crucial time to think about small details such as light switch placement and so on. A good electrician will pretty much know the best spot for outlets and such and much is governed by building codes, but at the same time, you can make small choices or changes that do not affect cost and could make the house more livable.

Mistakes will happen during construction. Something you know you agreed on, just doesn't happen. Being on site often helps to spot errors. Think about issues and discuss them with the builder. A mistake could turn out to be an improvement. A mistake may not make a lot of difference in the long term, save the builder some cash because you can live with it and the builder may make some concessions in perks in other areas. On the other hand, some mistakes will simply need to be corrected.

Building a house can be a challenge and a good builder that is willing to work with you can make all the difference between a home you are proud of and a nightmare. We all have issues, life goes on. Be kind to everyone, especially contractors that helping to build your home. If you can rent or live in the area you want to build for a year or so during the building process, it will give you time to research, build relationships and make decisions that will affect you for years to come. Building a house it probably one of the biggest investments you will ever make and rushing through it just doesn't make sense.

Good luck

Last edited by ditchoc; 05-14-2015 at 04:01 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 10:35 AM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDude109 View Post

Thanks in advance.
there are so many factors to consider, just like ditchdoc said.i have seen prices of builders (we have friends currently getting ready to build in Ocean Ridge and the people we all talked to with them gave quotes of between $130 - $200 sq. ft. Also, where you build is a consideration because plantations (developments) do have special ARBs architectural review boards that want certain kinds of finishes, etc. to make the development at a certain standard. If you are in a specific development, there are certain builders who will or will not build in that development for whatever reason. Good luck with your building process!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: