U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 02:50 AM

75 posts, read 125,418 times

Advertisements

I live in Vermont, single with no children. I am interested in traveling to a few places and finding a good place to call home. Greenville came up as a possibility. I have some very random questions I am hoping to get some advice or answers. Thank you for your time.

How often are thunderstorms?
Explain the winter months ( I am looking to get away from long winters)
How bad are the taxes, do you have to pay yearly on your car?
How are the colleges, I would like to finish degree in business/accounting?
How congested is the traffic?
Can you recommend a safe neighborhood for a single woman? Is Greenville a place I can walk around and be safe?
Are there any photography groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 05:58 AM

11,264 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgreatweather View Post
I live in Vermont, single with no children. .....
How often are thunderstorms?
Explain the winter months ( I am looking to get away from long winters)
How bad are the taxes, do you have to pay yearly on your car?
I can only answer a couple.

Thunderstorms are common in summer every few days, especially when the heat has built up.

The winters are moderately cold from December thru February. Temperatures can get into the teens at night but rise to 40's in the day. But there are also warmer days. Most of the time I wear a lined wool jacket rather than a coat. Greenville usually does get a few inches of snow over the winter.

Property taxes are not bad if you live outside the city limits. You can Google the mil rate for where you want to live. Yes, there is a yearly personal property tax on cars, but it is not bad. I paid less than $200 on a new Buick. Sales tax is around 7% and the personal income tax rate is a flat 5.75%.

East Carolina University is improving, and I'd call it a regionally recognized school. It has long had a rep as a party school, but you could get a good education if you try.

You can search the forum for comments on personal safety in Greenville. The consensus seems to be that you should be reasonably cautious, and don't wander around alone at 2AM.

If you are looking for another option in North Carolina, I'd suggest the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area. I find the landscape more attractive than eastern NC, and there are a variety of cities to chose from. There are also several universities besides UNCG, and better air transportation. Those cities also seem to be moving faster than Greenville to make their downtowns attractive places to live.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-16-2015 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,556,687 times
Excellent post above, only one thing missing.. The summers will be very hot and humid compared to what you're used to. Be sure to visit prior to moving. You could be in for a shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina