U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 6,709 times

Advertisements

New to the site, I've seen alot of great info already. I'm getting relocated to work in Rocky MT. However, my family and I would like to east of RM, so we're closer to the water. I don't mind driving 30 minutes to an hour to get to RM for work. Can anybody suggest towns to live in?

Some of the things we want are basic, for example, low crime, good schools, family oriented town, organized sports, etc etc... I'm big into hunting and fishing, which is the main reason I'd like to stay east of RM.

I've checked out (online) Tarboro, not sure what to think of it. Greenville might be a little too far, not sure how bad traffic can be.

We're basically starting from scratch and would love a few pointers on decent towns to look at. Thanks for your help!

I've seen some decent properties in Robersonville, how far is that from RM? Is it a decent neighborhood?

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 10:31 AM

11,257 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeels View Post
Some of the things we want are basic, for example, low crime, good schools, family oriented town, organized sports, etc etc... I'm big into hunting and fishing, which is the main reason I'd like to stay east of RM.
I sympathize with your need to find good schools near Rocky Mount. The best tool for a broad overview is Schooldigger.com . It located a good elementary school in northwest Wilson: New Hope Elementary. Then Wilson also has an Early College if you have an academically gifted teenager.

Otherwise the schools close to Rocky Mount range from poor to average. Zoom around on the schooldigger maps and see what you find acceptable. You might also consider home-schooling and private schools.

I'd suggest avoiding Rocky Mount and Ahoskie as places to live because of their crime issues. Robersonville has a very poor and aging population. The schools are rated 1 or 2 out of 5, so it is not what you are looking for. Tarboro schools are mostly unrated, so I don't know about it either.

Frankly, I think Wilson might be your best bet. It is about 20 miles or 30 minutes from Rocky Mount. Try to find a house in the New Hope Elementary School district which rates a 9 of 10 at Greatschools.org .

Here's a fairly recent discussion of Wilson and the schools: Relocating to Wilson, NC You can also Google the "NC School Report Card" to zero in on the details about a particular school.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-16-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-16-2015, 07:55 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,554,110 times
Quote:
New to the site, I've seen alot of great info already. I'm getting relocated to work in Rocky MT. However, my family and I would like to east of RM, so we're closer to the water. I don't mind driving 30 minutes to an hour to get to RM for work. Can anybody suggest towns to live in?

I've checked out (online) Tarboro, not sure what to think of it. Greenville might be a little too far, not sure how bad traffic can be.

We're basically starting from scratch and would love a few pointers on decent towns to look at. Thanks for your help!

I've seen some decent properties in Robersonville, how far is that from RM? Is it a decent neighborhood?

Joe
Not sure what part of MD you're coming from, but you may be significantly underwhelmed by your options. The best bet is in Greenville and even that isn't that great.. The crime situation in RM is pretty bad..

Old 05-17-2015, 06:34 AM

Yea, I've pretty much ruled out ROM as a town to live in. We currently live southeast of Baltimore, in a more rural part of town. I am willing to give up my hopes of living near the water as long as we can find a good school system and a town with other growing families that we can get along with.

Wilson seems like a nice area, Greenville is just a little too far of a commute to RM everyday. Maybe I'll just have to start looking west of RM to find some better towns.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:17 AM

10,688 posts, read 11,314,797 times
You might look at Wake Forest or Knightdale if you want to look west of Rocky Mount. I'm sure there are nice places in Rocky Mount, too, but there are many sketchier areas also. If you steer clear of those you might be all right there. Schools are going to be better in Wake County, but you'd be looking at a long commute. It would be closer to an hour, but might be worth it. Ask on the Triangle (Raleigh) forum. Zebulon might work for you, too. Less suburban than Wake Forest — more of a hunting/fishing area, but schools are not as great. It's still Wake County, though, so schools are probably better than Rocky Mount. Look at NC Report Card to see how they rate.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:12 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,808 times
Quote:
Wilson seems like a nice area, Greenville is just a little too far of a commute to RM everyday.
Just an FYI... Greenville is only about a half hour ride from RM if you use NC 43 and don't mind passing a slow moving vehicle or two. I drive back to MD around 3 to 4 times a year and I've tried every route there is.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:25 AM

Wow, I've tried mapquest and google maps and they all say about 1 hour from Greenville to RM. I guess I'll have to get down there and try the drive myself. That is good to know.

I have a few good towns to look at for housing. But my next problem is......I want to buy a 2nd home. Keep my home in MD and rent it out. Anybody know an experience real estate agent?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 AM

11,257 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Quote:
But my next problem is......I want to buy a 2nd home. Keep my home in MD and rent it out. Anybody know an experience real estate agent?
We had a house in Maryland which we rented out for 3 years. I have to send you a PM to recommend an agent.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:42 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,808 times
Quote:
Wow, I've tried mapquest and google maps and they all say about 1 hour from Greenville to RM. I guess I'll have to get down there and try the drive myself. That is good to know.
None of them are going to use NC 43. They're probably taking you down 64 and then hanging a right on 11/13. NC 43 is an almost straight line from RM to Greenville.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 963 times
I think the best place for you will be Tarboro, it is a small town now much going on, but very safe. It is 20-25 minutes away from RKM and about 2 hrs from the coast and about an hour from the tri-county area, now Greenville is closer to the coast but about 45-60 minutes from RKM depending on where you live. I live in RKM now and that is how long it takes me to get to Greenville. I am originally from Tarboro and its a great little town, they have an underground pub, sushi truck, and On the Square which is great restaurant and a brewery is in the process of being opened, so something to look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or