U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 3,902 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I am a artist from the Boston area and would like to move down to a more temperate climate(esp after last winter!) I am looking for a fare size city (20K+)with a vibrant downtown with lots of history, arts and a waterfront. Need a place that supports artist and studio spaces. Must be near a river, port cor estuary. I have visited several area's that I an considering, Charleston SC, and Wilmington. Loved Charleston but high cost of housing on the pennisular. Visited Wilmington in late Feb and the downtown was pretty dead. It's discribedas a "vibrant downtown" so I am not sure if it was because it was still winter. Also not sure of how safe it is.Considering Beaufort NC, New Bern NC, Williamsburg VA, Alexandria VA/
Looking for a year round community on the east coast. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 01:37 AM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heya2k View Post
Visited Wilmington in late Feb and the downtown was pretty dead. It's discribedas a "vibrant downtown" so I am not sure if it was because it was still winter. Also not sure of how safe it is. Considering Beaufort NC, New Bern NC, Williamsburg VA, Alexandria VA
My opinion is that towns as small as 20K people is too small to have a really vibrant downtown. Beaufort is only 4000, and it is cute and pleasant. But if you are used to the rich resources of the Boston area, you would find it very small. It will also be much quieter in the winter than in the tourist season.

Out of the cities you mentioned, only Alexandria is large enough to have a really vibrant downtown. It does a pretty good job of supporting the Arts with the Torpedo Factory.

New Bern and Williamsburg have their attractions as places to live, but I'm not sure how much public support for the arts either has. If you want to look more at the south, I also suggest the Hilton Head Island/Beaufort SC area and Savannah Georgia.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:32 AM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Regarding Wilmington, I just found out about the Acme Art Studios: About | ACME ART STUDIOS

There is also this place: http://www.theartworks.co/

Another resource lists several more galleries and spaces for artists: http://digitalcollections.uncw.edu/r...nks_places.php

It all suggests a fairly active arts community. Comments from anyone who has visited these places?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:12 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,699,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heya2k View Post
Hi All, I am a artist from the Boston area and would like to move down to a more temperate climate(esp after last winter!) I am looking for a fare size city (20K+)with a vibrant downtown with lots of history, arts and a waterfront. Need a place that supports artist and studio spaces. Must be near a river, port cor estuary. I have visited several area's that I an considering, Charleston SC, and Wilmington. Loved Charleston but high cost of housing on the pennisular. Visited Wilmington in late Feb and the downtown was pretty dead. It's discribedas a "vibrant downtown" so I am not sure if it was because it was still winter. Also not sure of how safe it is.Considering Beaufort NC, New Bern NC, Williamsburg VA, Alexandria VA/
Looking for a year round community on the east coast. Any suggestions?
You might want o look at Occaquan, VA, too.

Real estate on the Charleston peninsula is only for the very wealthy anymore. You could live outside the city and take advantage of the excellent support for the art community there. Just know there will be lots of competition. Savannah is the same way. Los of artists from up north in both places.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:00 AM

183 posts, read 241,496 times
New Bern just hosted an Art Walk.It is small and I am not sure about vibrant but it is a small southern city on 2 rivers and laid back .Just moved to the area and love it.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 8,631 times
Your requirements sound like you are describing New Bern. You would do well to contact Janet Francoeur @ Carolina Creations (Carolina Creations | About Us). She and her husband are accomplished artists in their own right, but serve as a source for over 300 other artists' creations. They aren't natives but really found a niche here and have flourished in their business and other contributions to New Bern. It is similar to Charleston or Savannah, in that they all have a strong connection to the early days of our country's beginnings. It shares that with Boston. The old architecture is strongly protected by preservation groups. Tryon Palace served as the first state capitol (Tryon Palace) of NC. The downtown district is the "happening" area of New Bern, w/ a wide variety of shops, music venues, theater and eateries, all within walking distance to the waterfront area where the Neuse and Trent Rivers merge. While the population is small, there is a surprisingly large, vibrant community of artists in this quaint little town. There is a mix from all over the country, including your area.
Here is a link or two you may find helpful.
New Bern Now, New Bern's One Stop Information Shop with news, radio and video, 252-638-6858
New Bern, North Carolina | North Carolina History
Good luck w/ your quest.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:14 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,755,254 times
New Bern, for a town of less than 30K, has a very visible art community. In addition there are two theater groups that put on quality productions, and the NC Symphony comes to Tryon Palace several times a year (I think).

Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,636,805 times
I have visited all the art studios listed by goldenage1 , there is a large
art community in Wilmington and find it very alive year round.
If OP found downtown Wilmington dead in February he/she surely
isn't going to find any of the other small NC towns listed, more alive
during February if ever.
I think OP has it right by focusing on Charleston or Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or