U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:42 AM

27 posts, read 82,887 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Wilmington in the next few months. We have a 1 yr old & really would love to be in a neighborhood that we could easily meet other familes (quickly and be close to things like restaurants, stores, beach, daycare, etc). My husband will be commuting to Jacksonville so we will have to live in North Wilmington or Hampstead. Could anyone give me suggestions on subdivisions that is known for lots of famlies, good schools, etc? Any information on north Wilmingtn or Hampstead would be great.

Also, does anyone know what is the average percentage of asking price vs selling price in Wilmington? We sold a house in Durham last year and we got very close to our selling price & now we're in NJ which is just an insane real estate market so hard to tell what real estate is like now in NC at the coast. Any suggestions on finding a realtor?THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,352,349 times
I know that ogden is a good place to live for elementary schools. that is in the northern part of wilmington. plenty of shops nearby. hampstead is a little bit too much in the middle of nowhere for my taste. there are some housing developments off of gordon road in ogden that seem to be family oriented with a soccer field within walking distance. the prices around here are strange. some people think they made $85,000 on their house in the past year, others are more realistic. housing seems stable here. just have to search for the deals. I would not recommend working with any real estate agent. go to sites like www.findwilmington.com or REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale. find your own place. in my experience with working with real estate agents here, they aren't very good. they are mostly retirees and for them, this is a retirement job. they don't know much about the area and are very new to real estate. I say find a neighborhood you like, see if there are any properties for sale, and contact the agent yourself. for me, my real estate agent was just someone with a key to get into homes. she did not help me a bit. if you find a place you like, go to the county(pender or new hanover) website and search the tax records. you can see the last time a property was bought and sold and what was paid. you can also see the current address of the owner. look for a vacant house with an owner who lives out of town. might get a better deal that way!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:26 PM

27 posts, read 82,887 times
Any idea what the taxes & home owners insurance rates are in the Ogden area?? I've heard the home owners insurance is very high. THANK YOU!!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,352,349 times
the homeowners insurance rates are going to be high in any place near the coast. you have to check out whether or not you are in a "flood zone." the flood insurance isn't that bad but you will have to pick up wind and hail damage insurance. unless you look into a townhome. a lot of condos and townhomes include master insurance in their "condo fees." it will most likely be much cheaper than what you are experiencing in jersey though.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,437 times
Hello! We live in a great neighborhood with lots of kids that is still growing fast. There are a lot cul-de-sacs and there are always kids out and about. It is called Courtney Pines. It's close to some good child care centers and a lot of in-home daycares. For more on childcare you can go to [url=http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/parents/pr_sn2_ov.asp]Choosing Quality Child Care Overview[/url] We are in a really good school district--Murrayville Elementary--i have 2children who attend there--the guy who wrote about Ogden being a good place is right--basically exactly where we are, just have to watch the school districting lines--for example Ogden elementary was just redone, but is already overcrowded and using trailers. Blair Elementary is also crowded and is an older school.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM

10 posts, read 63,663 times
Exclamation Insurance Agent

Ins rates are high in all of the 18 coastal counties. As of May 1 2007, Insurance rates went crazy (NC Dept of Ins Increase) You do have choices. Most Homeowners think that just because their insurance premiums are being paid thru their escrow accounts that they are stuck, Not True. You can change your insurance provider at anytime but best to do it 2 months before the renewal. I suggest they price their company every couple years. USAA and Alstate have just lost their minds on the coast with the rates and deductibles, increases from 83 to over 100 % increases

also Sneads Ferry is nice and really close for your husband

Last edited by ncfbagnt; 01-25-2008 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,924 times
Hampstead is in the middle of nothing really but it's not that far to Wilmington or Jacksonville. It also has some decent schools. The schools in Sneads Ferry are not great and when I move back to the area this summer I am purposely avoiding that area.

Ogden and Blair are two of the good elementary schools and are in the Northern part of Wilmington.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,698 times
Smile Just put our House on the Market in Courtney Pines

Hey,
Courtney Pines is a great Sub. We are only moving b/c we have outgrown our house. Our house is listed with Coldwell Bankers/Seacoast Realty. We moved in here as newlyweds and now have 3 kids that just won't fit anymore. It is a great home. We are in a cul-de-sac and have one of the largest yards in the subdivision. There are lots of kids around, and murrayville is an awesome school. We are minutes away from Mayfaire Towne Center and Porter's Neck (which has Food Lion and Harris Teeter). There are lots of daycares nearby also.
You are right, living in Ogden is certainly beneficial if you need to get to Jacksonville. Hampstead is growing quickly and the schools are great there too. It does take time to get use to the drive "into town" as most Hampstead residents would say. From our house it takes about 20 min to get to Hampstead, and Jacksonville is just over an hour from there? give or take
You'll love Wilmington! Whether you take a look at our house or not, Ogden is a great place to live!
Shamless plug on selling my house

Last edited by sadiedawg2; 02-25-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,698 times
Our realestate agent was born and raised in the area and is not a retiree. She's great. She has more homes for sale in the Hampstead area, b/c that is where she lives, but she is wonderful!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM

61 posts, read 269,656 times
I'm in the process of moving to Wilmington in the Monkey Junction area, bought a place for around $270. I've got a couple of insurance quotes between $1200 to $1400 including wind and hail Flood will be around another $350 on top.

Do most people down there get the flood coverage? It's not required in my area, but was leaning towards getting it just to be safe.

Also am wondering, one company I got a quote from provided wind and hail, the second one didn't so would buy through the state. Interestingly the cheaper $1200 quote was wind and hail provided via state. Are there any advantages or more important disadvantages in buying the W&H through the state vs one policy covering everything. With the split policy are you opening yourself up to get in a situation where they both point to the other and claim the other part of your coverage is responsible for the claim? Or am I thinking to hard??

As far as taxes go, unless you're in the city, you can figure on around $0.50 per $100 of home value, so on a $250k home, figure around $1300 per year for taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina