U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 06:54 PM

20 posts, read 21,392 times

Advertisements

I have not lived in Wilmington, so I can only speak about living in the Greenville area. We live in Winterville, but technically it's Pitt County, not a city that our house is on. I don't know why this is, but it saves us a LOT in taxes. We get water from Winterville, power from Greenville Utilities, and we have our own septic system. We live on an acre, have great neighbors who we love to death, a vital neighborhood of nice people, and paid around $60 per square foot for our house. Plus there is a guest house. We feel safe and content here in the Greenville area, and now that we have job offers from elsewhere, it is very difficult to move since property seems to cost so much more, and it doesn't seem like you get as much for your money. That's what living in Greenville has done to us. Schools should be chosen carefully, but I personally know of a few decent private schools which are affordable.

There is a great community of worthwhile people here. Wilmington is beautiful, and I'm sure it's a great place to live, but you might find Greenville gives you a much higher standard of living.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 AM

269 posts, read 348,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Lived both places...and IMO, both are desirable. I think those that beat either or both down aren't living in reality in terms of context of both cities. Are they Charlotte or Raleigh? No. They aren't supposed to be.

They are medium size cities with unique characteristics and charm. Greenville's is centered around ECU. Wilmington's is centered around the beaches and riverfront. Both cities are leading their regions in terms of economic development, education, medical, and whatever other category you want to throw in there. Wages may be higher in Charlotte or Raleigh but those are major urban centers that are not, again comparable to medium size cities.

I think what is most appealing is the continuous physical changes both cities are seeing. Both downtown's are growing, suburbs are still being built and finally...FINALLY...there are some major road projects being done in both places. By 2020 I-140 will run from Pender County to deep into Brunswick County around Wilmington. And the Southwest Bypass in Greenville will be completed as well as the 10th St connector between the Hospital and ECU.

Greenville will always have cheaper housing overall than Wilmington...because Greenville has lots of land to move out from, whereas Wilmington geographically is hemmed in by the water. I do agree that individually there are better schools in Wilmington, but Wilmington probably has some worse schools than the worst in Greenville.
I've lived in both and completely agree. Couldn't have said it better.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or