U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,655,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
If any form of passenger rail travel were an economically viable option then a private company would jump all over it..
Air travel is a failure because it depends on governments to build airports and to run the system. If it was an economically viable option then a private company would jump all over it and we'd have hundreds of competing airports without government control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyk12 View Post
does amtrak have an active station in wilmington?
I am trying to travel by train from Wilmington, NC to Syracuse?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandmah View Post
I am trying to travel by train from Wilmington, NC to Syracuse?
I'm sorry but as stated in this thread there is no rail service
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 10-14-2011, 07:11 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,179,766 times
So we bump a dead thread, instead of googling which would be faster and more accurate.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:18 AM

700 posts, read 1,435,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Carolina puts way more emphasis onth eroads, than it does rail or any mass transit for that matter.
You are kidding correct??? The only thing NCDOT puts any emphasis. Is to take millions of dollars and throw at projects that are delayed and big cost over runs.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM

5,875 posts, read 8,838,193 times
If we had amtrak in Wilmington I could hop on it and go get authentic Chinese food in Cary.

(sorry, I'm on this kick today)

Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,025 times
Does AMTRAK run through Wilmington, NC?

I know there isn't an AMTRAK station in Wilmington, NC; I was wondering if AMTRAK went through Wilmington (NC)?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdroberts50 View Post
Does AMTRAK run through Wilmington, NC?

I know there isn't an AMTRAK station in Wilmington, NC; I was wondering if AMTRAK went through Wilmington (NC)?

The closest Amtrak to Wilmington NC is in Fayetteville the Palmetto #90 leaves Fayetteville to points North at 1.04 PM heading to NYC and Boston
The Palmetto #89 arrives from points North at 3.44 PM going South to FLA

Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 PM

364 posts, read 552,696 times
There are now Amtrak buses from Wilmington to connect to the Palmetto trains in Wilson NC, with stops in Jacksonville, Kinston and Goldsboro.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
If any form of passenger rail travel were an economically viable option then a private company would jump all over it. The problem with rail is speed, convenience, comfort and cost. It can't compete with auto travel on short trips and it can't compete with air travel over long distances. To take a passenger train from Raleigh to Wilmington would be a half day trip even if the actual train ride was only 90 minutes because you have to drive to the station, park your car, buy you tickets, wait to board, go through security, ride for 90 minutes, get off at your destination, catch a cab, ect.

The RORO might work if it were done by a private company but I'd still have my doubts.
I know this is 2 years old, but there is a major flaw with your thinking. Private companies would provide rail service if it were as heavily subsidized by the governemnt as air and automobile travel is subsidized. Do you think we would have an extensive network of air travel if not for the federal goverment paying to build airport runways, providing the air traffic control system, etc? Do you think car travel would be as convenient without state and federal governments building the roads and highways? Its not a matter of economic viability, its a matter of national priorities. Which is unfortunate, because I believe we would be much better off with a comprehensive rail transport system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina