Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM

76 posts, read 365,312 times

Advertisements

does amtrak have an active station in wilmington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
no it does not closest stations are Rocky Mount or Fayetteville. Check out amtrak webstie for routes

Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 PM

76 posts, read 365,312 times
thanks. I thought I had heard on the news that amtrak was considering returning to wilmington- the tracks are still there. I had heard that over a year ago. just wishful thinking.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
Lets see it been 6 years since there been tax dollar funded studies it might be a possibility in 20 years.

NCDOT Rail Division > Future Service

Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 38,812 times
There was a study on this (see [url=http://www.bytrain.org/future/]NCDOT Rail Division > Future Service[/url]) and it looks like it may be in the works. Check out the "funds released" article here:
[url]http://www.narprail.org/cms/images/uploads/1006.pdf[/url]
Not clear on the timing though.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM

572 posts, read 1,604,670 times
Typical government project. Expensive, obsolete and way behind schedule.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,869,706 times
Carolina puts way more emphasis onth eroads, than it does rail or any mass transit for that matter.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,226,288 times
I think a RORO (Roll-on Roll-off) train between Raleigh and Wilmington could be successful. A RORO would allow people to bring their vehicles. If they could cut total time to 90minutes, I would definitely use it. Add in some free WiFi and they would be golden.

And have that at the express train, and maybe another train stop on Benson for I95 traffic.

It could work......maybe

Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 PM

572 posts, read 1,604,670 times
If any form of passenger rail travel were an economically viable option then a private company would jump all over it. The problem with rail is speed, convenience, comfort and cost. It can't compete with auto travel on short trips and it can't compete with air travel over long distances. To take a passenger train from Raleigh to Wilmington would be a half day trip even if the actual train ride was only 90 minutes because you have to drive to the station, park your car, buy you tickets, wait to board, go through security, ride for 90 minutes, get off at your destination, catch a cab, ect.

The RORO might work if it were done by a private company but I'd still have my doubts.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 38,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
If any form of passenger rail travel were an economically viable option then a private company would jump all over it. The problem with rail is speed, convenience, comfort and cost.
Funny seeing this "revival" post (since it started in 2008). We live in Toronto and for the past two summers have driven down to Wilmington for vacation - by the maps (Google/Map Quest) it is non-stop about 16 hours. But with two kids, the border, construction, traffic, rest stops and an overnight stop mid-way, we leave around 9-10AM in Toronto then arrive in Wilmington the next day around 7-8pm. (more than 16hrs!)

We love being in OUR car and packing WHAT WE WANT and not having to follow other's SCHEDULES. The concept of RORO is something I thought about (what if). So far I think India is the only place offering such a service and only to commercial vehicles.

But I think if something like that could be developed it would certainly help tourism all around. From Toronto you are talking at least 8-10 hours to get to key points - Chicago, Philly, Boston, NYC, DC. Sad. I had troubles with the trek to Wilmington staying only 9 nights - so we stayed 16 this year. And I am not against driving to a major pick up point (1-2hrs way) and then along with a few stops per state and then to drive another 1-2 hours to my ultimate destination.

Commercial already has this done - the cargo is on the trains and they just lift up and put onto the trucks with the flatbeds (not sure the term freight wise).

But even so - there is a cost to use RORO and if that cost doesn't help cut the time in at least half - really what is the point?

As Time2Travel said - the way it is today - is crap. For me to go to Montreal by train, I have to go to Union station (during rush hour - subway is really the only practical way) (0.75-1.5hrs). Then board the train at a said time for a 5 hour trip - then have the train stop at stations all the way and then arrive in Montreal. From home to hotel - you are talking at least 6-7 hours. Cripes, I can drive in Montreal in 4.5 hrs from my home when I want to - why would I spend all that time in a tin can which may or may not have working A/C and have to still spend more time after to get to my hotel?

A trip for four of us via Amtrak from Toronto to Fayettville is about $575 - leaving at 8am and arriving the next day at 344pm. What does that do for us? Saves wear and tear on the car - but we haven't saved a day traveling and I still gotta get to the station and get to Wilmington (after renting a car $$$). Add 3 hours of "place to station" "station to place" time. All that and we saved - what? an hour? But it cost us $600 more PLUS the cost of the rental.

The round trip mileage for us was 2500m - about $300US in gas - not bad.

Someone has to think big about it. My buddy and I have discussed this to no end. The only solution is high speed rail like in Japan (/China). And yes something with a RORO concept too would need to be part of that plan. To do high speed rail - you are talking MAJOR overhauls not just minor track improvement. (Angles and all that need to be modified quite radically).

Sad.

Then again trust me, I ask the same question half the time when going to and from Toronto where we live - subways are only along main streets and after that if you need MORE THAN ONE transfer by bus, forget it. No thought anywhere - unless I suppose you live in Manhattan and don't need a car to get around.

Cheers!
belly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina