Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,414,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Then don't drive. Plain and simple. Driving is a privilege, not a right.
sigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:19 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,249,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo1 View Post
Myghost,

I don't disagree with much of what you said here. I appreciate what they do, just not losing an hour to it and hearing them comment on "all the money they were making".
That would have rubbed me extremely wrong too. No way I would have taken it well after having an hour to marinate in delays....

(BTW: The 611 comment was a reference to another thread. That was total snark, and just trying to be funny.)

Old 05-27-2015, 05:54 AM

5,810 posts, read 6,870,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo1 View Post
I'm all for safety on the roads. I am NOT all for random road blocks and being stopped for NO REASON so the county, or whatever jurisdiction was responsible, can "make money".
Unfortunately, the Supremes ruled this is legal as long as they stop everyone. Personally, I think it is wrong.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,920,060 times
Somehow catching drunk drivers trumps the 4th amendment.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Sounds like the Police had probable cause to check the OP papers.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:20 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,534,155 times
Quote:
Submitting to unreasonable stops is not a privilege. People have rights, even behind the wheel of their vehicle. FYI - I used to work in Law Enforcement, so I understand the safety aspect. Waiting 45-60 minutes is unreasonable, period. Case law has pointed out that usually 20 minutes is the maximum time you can hold someone without probable cause. Making someone wait in backed up traffic for 45+ minutes is not reasonable, therefore IMO, not legal.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:55 AM

91 posts, read 205,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Just law enforcement doing their job. That's all you need to know. Do you know how long it took to get to Hatteras during the ferry days?
Poggly, yes, cops were doing their jobs, no doubt. How far are you willing to let that go?

I don't know what "ferry days" are, it's irrelevant in this discussion as well. If I were delayed simply by tourist volume, an accident or other naturally occurring issue it'd not have been as irritating.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 AM

91 posts, read 205,755 times
Quote:
Wow! Really all I can say to this position on your rights. What are your thoughts on being searched for no reason in this scenario? You are abiding by the law, heading to a vacation destination and get asked for a license and registration. You comply. That's not good enough, you are asked to pull over, you, your bags, your vehicle all torn apart, they find nothing, again because you are law abiding. Is this part of the privilege to drive in your opinion? I don't recall reading, learning or hearing anything about the probability of such things in driver's ed. If this is part of the equation, random searches to continue our "privilege to drive" then it should also be part of our education on driving.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:10 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,254,234 times
I would have been peeved. I've only been to the Outer Banks once (last year) - camped at Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe.

I'm surprised there were not warnings posted that random stops may be coming. Here in Massachusetts they post signs on the highway stating as such. If your vehicle wasn't searched (or asked for consent), then your only issue here is time.

What time did you hit the checkpoint? On high traffic weekends, I praise the stops that hopefully remove drivers that should not be behind the wheel, especially at times where there is a higher risk of drunk drivers (evening).

Old 05-27-2015, 07:15 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,555,816 times
Doesn't it seem odd that they'd be doing a DUI checkpoint at the beginning of a holiday weekend? How many people drive drunk to the beach?

Fundamentally I'm all for these sort of activities during periods of increased risk, regardless of cost or inconvenience. If even one drunk driver is pulled off the road it's worth it.

But still, shouldn't they have done this maybe on Saturday or Sunday evening?

Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,604,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm surprised there were not warnings posted that random stops may be coming. Here in Massachusetts they post signs on the highway stating as such.
I've seen "drug checkpoint ahead" signs along the interstate. The checkpoint is not actually on the interstate, it's on the first exit after the signs. The people hoping to avoid the checkpoint for whatever reason take the exit where the police are waiting for them. It's a sneaky trick, but serves its purpose and does not cause traffic backups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina