U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 AM

1,851 posts, read 5,266,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the folks in handcuffs were suspected of serious offenses. You would have merely received a citation had one of your taillights been non-functioning.

Unless they're doing something different there, the individual policemen weren't making any money, just the county/state. And they didn't "make" any money other than the fines related to offenses.

As the law-abiding citizen, who maybe didn't make it to your destination by sundown, I know how you feel. But once you got to the stop, they checked you over quickly and let you go on your way.
More likely they had failed to pay a traffic ticket, and had an outstanding warrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:56 AM

91 posts, read 178,493 times
I stand by my assessment that this road block was NOT a DUI checkpoint. Sure, they probably got some DUI people off the road but as said by others, they also got drugs, warrants, unpaid tickets, registration expiration, DL expiration, unpaid child support and whatever else can be on one's record. I did not see a single sobriety check in progress and people had just been pulled to the side. I saw a lot of personal belongings on the ground, cops rifling through cars.

I am all for security in high risk situations such as large sporting or other gatherings, the president motorcade will be coming by, a known felon in the area and so on. Again, Rt. 12 in the OBX is NOT a high risk situation AT ALL!

At the time we became stopped in traffic it was approximately 6:50pm. The time we finally cleared the check point was about 7:45pm.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 AM

3,036 posts, read 7,400,179 times
Next time, try this... Loophole helping drivers skip DUI checkpoints | WGN-TV

Old 05-27-2015, 08:48 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,368,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
sigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo1 View Post
Poggly, yes, cops were doing their jobs, no doubt. How far are you willing to let that go?

I don't know what "ferry days" are, it's irrelevant in this discussion as well. If I were delayed simply by tourist volume, an accident or other naturally occurring issue it'd not have been as irritating.
Ferry days refers to the process of taking a ferry boat ride to access the Outer Banks. There used to not be a road,still washes out occasionally.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:23 AM

91 posts, read 178,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Waterboy,

I've seen the videos of similar things to that and they don't always end so well, lol! As I've maintained all along, I was NOT breaking any rules and had zero to fear from the interactions with them. Easier to do what must be done and hope there isn't a "bad apple" in the mix that day.

My children were also with me and like it or not, my being a role model in that situation is important. We discussed the check point, what their rights in that situation are and how best to proceed, starting with NOT breaking laws in the first place!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:52 AM

3,036 posts, read 7,400,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo1 View Post
Waterboy,

I've seen the videos of similar things to that and they don't always end so well, lol! As I've maintained all along, I was NOT breaking any rules and had zero to fear from the interactions with them. Easier to do what must be done and hope there isn't a "bad apple" in the mix that day.

My children were also with me and like it or not, my being a role model in that situation is important. We discussed the check point, what their rights in that situation are and how best to proceed, starting with NOT breaking laws in the first place!
I agree with you. I'm a huge police supporter, but I'm also a huge civil and constitutional rights supporter.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:54 AM

57 posts, read 51,471 times
This sounds like a Driver's License checkpoint. They check everyone's license, look the vehicle over and send you on your way. It's an opportunity to catch expired tags, intoxicated drivers, people with warrants, etc. The only difference between a Driver's License checkpoint and a DUI checkpoint is that the DUI checkpoint is strategically located to catch drunk drivers and better equipped to process them (mobile lab, etc.).

But I would agree, what you experienced (particularly the timing) sounds unreasonable.

There's also the possibility that they were searching for a fugitive in the area and catching other violations in the mean time. Searching for a fugitive would make this reasonable, and it wouldn't necessarily be common knowledge.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 AM

3,478 posts, read 4,171,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuteach View Post
There's also the possibility that they were searching for a fugitive in the area and catching other violations in the mean time. Searching for a fugitive would make this reasonable, and it wouldn't necessarily be common knowledge.
From the first post, it doesn't sound like they searched the trailer and only did a quick visual one on the truck.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 AM

1,493 posts, read 2,130,372 times
I would gladly give up an hour of my rec time knowing bad guys were being taken off the street. Handcuffed individuals on the side of the road would seem like bad guys to me.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 AM

989 posts, read 1,650,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
I would gladly give up an hour of my rec time knowing bad guys were being taken off the street. Handcuffed individuals on the side of the road would seem like bad guys to me.
Why not allow police to just go door to door then. Bad guys would be taken off the street then. How about have police show up to business while people work. That seems like a way to find people with warrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina