Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:47 PM

91 posts, read 206,242 times

Advertisements

My family and I traveled from Raleigh to Hatteras this past Friday (May 22) night towing our travel trailer. It's a long ride no matter how you do it. We passed through Manteo and were excited to be heading South on NC 12 with what appeared to be plenty of time to get to the campground and set up before dark. Just after crossing over the temporary bridge at New Inlet, we became stopped in traffic, a lot of traffic. After a while we could see some lights and wondered if there were an accident. Not many cars were moving North either.

The closer we got, the more questions came up. There was no obvious accident, no emergency vehicles. Getting closer still we now noticed there were quite a few people actually off to the side, some sitting, some standing - all in handcuffs. There were cars being searched.

DUI Checkpoint? Manhunt?

Next thing we noticed were maybe around 20 police standing in the center of the road facing in alternating directions. We finally made it to "our cop" who asked for my Drivers License. He took it, walked to the back of my truck and I guess checked the plate, came back handed me my license and told me to have a nice night.

REALLY? WTF?

This little BS sting operation added 45 minutes to my trip. To add insult to injury, as we were pulling away we heard two cops talking to each other about how much money they were making doing whatever it was they were doing!

I'm all for safety on the roads. I am NOT all for random road blocks and being stopped for NO REASON so the county, or whatever jurisdiction was responsible, can "make money".

Anyone know anything about this operation or similar ones? I have been trying to look it up, there's no information out there that I can find. I figure there should be statistics regarding citations, arrests etc. since after all, this must have been paid for with tax dollars and should all be public record, no?

Would love to know more about this if anyone has info....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
so what had the handcuffed people done wrong? That is a huge waste of time and inconvenience.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:10 PM

There's no telling what the apprehended folks had done wrong. I'm guessing that there were DUIs, drug arrests, warrants served and anything else they found in the "net' they had cast.

It was very inconvenient to say the least.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Not sure why you'd post this n the Raleigh board?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:17 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Not atypical to have DUI and "click it or ticket" checkpoints on major driving (or drinking) holidays. I know it sucks to be slowed down like that, but I am thankful for the extra enforcement. I don't drink and drive (I stayed home and imbibed quite ferociously), and am thankful for getting anyone off the street that does. Moreso, I am thankful for the threat of arrest and loss of driving rights if it discourages others from drinking and driving.

I'm not trying to be snarky, and I know how bad it sucks after a long drive, but I also come to expect this on holidays.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Not sure why you'd post this n the Raleigh board?
OP should have taken the 611 instead...

Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
OP should have taken the 611 instead...
I posted in the Raleigh board because I am certain there are others who were caught up in this same event, if not property owners who may live in RDU area. I also posted in Coastal Carolina section of the forum. So, simply put, just trying to cast a wide net to see what I can find out.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not atypical to have DUI and "click it or ticket" checkpoints on major driving (or drinking) holidays. I know it sucks to be slowed down like that, but I am thankful for the extra enforcement. I don't drink and drive (I stayed home and imbibed quite ferociously), and am thankful for getting anyone off the street that does. Moreso, I am thankful for the threat of arrest and loss of driving rights if it discourages others from drinking and driving.

I'm not trying to be snarky, and I know how bad it sucks after a long drive, but I also come to expect this on holidays.
Myghost,

I don't disagree with much of what you said here. I appreciate what they do, just not losing an hour to it and hearing them comment on "all the money they were making".

Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo1 View Post
Myghost,

I don't disagree with much of what you said here. I appreciate what they do, just not losing an hour to it and hearing them comment on "all the money they were making".
They were probably working over time. Good for them, police in our state make a pittance for their job duties IMO. I make more in three days than a new officer makes in a month, it's atrocious, and I'm not even that highly paid! In fact, I bet most posters on here wouldn't even get out of bed for what police make as a salary...

I'm not sure how these things are set up but rest assured the officers doing it didn't plan it. They just work there.

Last edited by wheelsup; 05-26-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 01:28 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
My problem with this (even though it's legal) is that roadblocks are not supposed to cause an unreasonable delay to traffic. From what you described this is an unreasonable delay, therefore it shouldn't be allowed, or at the very least shut down once they saw the major delay it was causing. These types of things usually push the bounds of state law and constitutionality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina