Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:26 AM

127 posts, read 216,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
But none of this happened. They asked for you license, you complied (which, by law, you are required to do), and you went on your way. Nowhere did I post I am all for unreasonable search and seizure. You are grabbing for straws. You are pissed because you were stopped on your way for your vacation and were inconvenienced.

Would you have made this thread if some moron crashed their car and caused a 45 minute delay even though the crash could've been avoided if the drivers simply paid attention to their driving?

The officers simply checked his license. As a driver you are required to carry a license when driving and present the license when asked. The o.p. did just that and was on his merry way. No harm, no foul.

Except he was inconvenienced.

But the o.p. makes the assumption the entire checkpoint was put in place to inconvenience drivers just "to make money". If only the o.p. was man enough to stop and ask the officer what he meant by the comment. But that would've inconvenienced him further.

Are you really trying to make such a comparison?

So I make a statement that should be interpreted that I support a police officer's job by willingly complying to their request to show my license means I think the constitution is garbage? Again, it would be different if they pulled him and his family out of his car and searched it without cause. But none of that happened. He showed his license and left.

What sucks is the people in America who get pissed off about being inconvenienced on their vacation by having to wait in traffic to prove they have a driver's license.

Again, the officers did not search his vehicle or stop him any longer than required to perform their duty.

I wonder how many people actually thanked the officers (keep in mind they have to wear a bullet-proof vest because people want to KILL THEM just because of their profession) for so graciously having made the decision to accept a job knowing the day may come they don't go home from work to their spouse and children just to protect the people who gripe about being inconvenienced on their vacation? Those same officers who inconvenienced you would also stop a bullet for you.

What's wrong with y'all??

edit: I'm now thinking I need to re-read the first post. With the number of people sticking up for the o.p. I had to have missed something. There is no way people have become this disillusioned towards police in our country.

Just re-read the first post. I even checked Google maps to make sure my memory served me correctly that NC12 is a 2-lane road. Yup, it is at least just past New inlet where the o.p. stated the license check occurred.

In fact, I initially thought the officer actually ran the o.p.'s driver's license number to verify no warrants. After I re-read the post I learned the officer simply looked at the license and verified the tags were valid.

So I stand behind everything I have posted.

In closing, with all this having been said, do I agree that the inconvenience sucks? Of course I agree that it sucks. But the inconvenience of a car crash sucks also. I would much rather be inconvenienced from a license check-point that has resulted in arrests being made than from needless car crashes where people have been injured.

AMEN!

The mentality shown on this board against law enforcement saddens me. Would you have the same mentality when you are in need of law enforcement? I think not. They will be the best thing since sliced bread. They were doing their job. Period. Appreciate. Don't hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:02 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conigam View Post
The mentality shown on this board against law enforcement saddens me. Would you have the same mentality when you are in need of law enforcement? I think not. They will be the best thing since sliced bread. They were doing their job. Period. Appreciate. Don't hate.
I am a big supporter of the police, as long as they are not abusing their power. A lot of the comments on this thread have been about personal freedoms and the weakening of the 4th amendment rights by the Supremes.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:03 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
AMEN!

OK, I was a LE Officer. I have nothing against officers at all. I'm a staunch supporter of our police, military,, etc. I'm just not in support of the violation of our rights as American citizens. Police do great service for our nation, but that doesn't mean we should become a police state. Setting up roadblocks to check drivers licenses is over the top and it shouldn't be tolerated. I have a right to my freedom, unless I have violated that right.

You don't get to put all the drivers on the road in a time out, just because there might be someone out there driving on a suspended license. This isn't 5th grade, where the teacher takes away everyone's privileges, because someone won't fess up.

That's what supposedly makes this country different than almost all others. We have freedom to live our lives without interference, unless there is reasonable suspicion or probable cause we committed a violation of the law. I don't care how squeaky clean I am and whether or not I have nothing to worry about. I shouldn't be impeded by law enforcement for not breaking any laws.

Sorry, I guess I didn't bow out.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
AMEN!

I disagree. The overwhelming response (as I read it) was "that sucks that you were inconvenienced, but I'm thankful for them keeping the roads safe." That was certainly my first response.

Most of the responses that you are reading are in response to comments like "if you don't like it, don't drive". Again, PSI and I probably agree more than it appears on this and other discussions. But that kind of response brings out emotions in all. The fact is that there needs to be a balance. When people respond with "don't xxxxx, if you don't like it" or if they position everything as "you are not American if you don't agree with me", you end up with things like the Freedom Act. While (hopefully) well intentioned, that little bit of legislation stepped ALL OVER the constitution. I know it's a long way from a traffic stop at the beach to being racially profiled and phone tapped by the feds, but it's a slippery slope.

I think most in this discussion are fairly aware of both sides of the coin. There is a trade-off, and we land somewhere between 100% unrestricted liberty, and 100% protected nanny-state. There's no right answer, but somewhere there is a range of middle ground that should be agreeable to most.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I'll bow out of the conversation now, since we've all made our points.
Thought you were bowing out of the conversation !! I think everyone knows your opinion on the matter by this time. If you don't like what your reading don't follow the thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Thought you were bowing out of the conversation !! I think everyone knows your opinion on the matter by this time. If you don't like what your reading don't follow the thread
Wow, hostile much . I'm stating my thoughts in a rational manner just like everyone else. I would say, if you don't like it, don't comment, but I support your right to have a different opinion.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Two different things.
How so? People being stopped without probably cause. Is stop and frisk another step from license checks? Maybe. I guess you can call it a slippery slope.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:56 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
How so? People being stopped without probably cause. Is stop and frisk another step from license checks? Maybe. I guess you can call it a slippery slope.
Probable cause means Lord have mercy on your miserable soul if you happen to be bringing home Grandma's pot roast in a pressure cooker sitting in your backseat. I'll take it one step further. You're probably a dead man if it's a lamb roast and you're of middle eastern heritage.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:29 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,126 times
Quote:
I've been stopped at many checkpoints. Most often it was DUI checks. Twice the police were looking for fugitives. I was checked in AZ near the border for illegal alien transport. Recently I was in a license check in Lexington on a Saturday morning. Never have I ever been frisked. That's why I say it's different.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
Quote:
Yup. So if you are for these "license checks" I assume you are good with "Stop and Frisk" too.
You don't have the right to drive. You do have the right to walk down the street without being frisked. Again, no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
OK, I was a LE Officer. I have nothing against officers at all. I'm a staunch supporter of our police, military,, etc. I'm just not in support of the violation of our rights as American citizens. Police do great service for our nation, but that doesn't mean we should become a police state. Setting up roadblocks to check drivers licenses is over the top and it shouldn't be tolerated. I have a right to my freedom, unless I have violated that right.

You don't get to put all the drivers on the road in a time out, just because there might be someone out there driving on a suspended license. This isn't 5th grade, where the teacher takes away everyone's privileges, because someone won't fess up.

That's what supposedly makes this country different than almost all others. We have freedom to live our lives without interference, unless there is reasonable suspicion or probable cause we committed a violation of the law. I don't care how squeaky clean I am and whether or not I have nothing to worry about. I shouldn't be impeded by law enforcement for not breaking any laws.

Sorry, I guess I didn't bow out.
I'm not for having anyone's rights violated, either. I guess I'm confused so please explain how the o.p.'s rights were violated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina