Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 12:11 PM

23 posts, read 26,820 times

Advertisements

Looking for the best family friendly areas in and around Wilmington. We are from Michigan and are looking to possibly relocate to the area to be closer to the Ocean (long time dream of mine).

I would like to be no more than 30 minutes from the ocean and great beaches. We have 6 children 2 of whom are adopted from Ethiopia so ideally we are looking for a more racially diverse area.

Also, of course, good schools are a priority, I don't necessarily need or want the BEST schools.

We live in a smaller town now and would love to be in an area that has more to offer. My husband is a lineman (works on the power lines) and will be looking for work either with the power company or a contractor.

We welcome all suggestions!

Jillienne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 01:07 PM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiker View Post
Looking for the best family friendly areas in and around Wilmington......My husband is a lineman (works on the power lines) and will be looking for work either with the power company or a contractor.
Wilmington would be fine for you if your husband can find a job. However, you don't have to restrict your search to Wilmington, as North Carolina has 300 miles of coastline. There are 6-10 local electric power companies such as Jones-Onslow, Craven-Carteret, etc. I suggest also looking in Edenton, Elizabeth City, Manteo, New Bern, Havelock, Newport, Morehead City, Jacksonville, Surf City, Hampstead, etc.

They are all "family-friendly", and I would say the best ares is where the husband finds the best-paying job.

The multi-racial family should not be a big issue. Most of the coastal towns have a small or large African-American population. Jacksonville is a good location for acceptance as the military people have been all over the world.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:13 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,351,630 times
Since the OP lives in a small town now, and expresses a desire for a larger city, I don't think Edenton, Newport, Elizabeth City, Manteo would necessarily be good options.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:29 PM

Thank you that is helpful. My husband currently works for a contractor so I will be researching these very closely.

If there are any more companies that you know of please pass them on.

I will also continue checking in to all these areas.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
If there are any more companies that you know of please pass them on.
There is River City Construction, which currently has openings for linemen. It is based in Washington, NC. Washington is a small town, but you could live in Greenville, Winterville or New Bern if you really want to live in a larger burb.

I noticed that you have also been posting about Virginia Beach. I think that might be a better area for you if you are seeking a diverse are with many options.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:05 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,009,957 times
I'd skip the smaller towns if you are looking for diverse. As suggested, Jacksonville is a great option...very military-heavy. Wilmington would probably be good too, since it's a bigger place. The small, country towns in eastern NC are kind of backwards.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:48 PM

Thank you for your help. We are very much in the weighing our options stage.

There is a wealth of info here. And it is nice to hear different perspectives.

Golden Age 1 apparently my family will attract "looks" in the Virginia Beach area. At least according to one poster. Of course we currently live in an almost completely white community currently and we are used to that but mostly people are kind.

I do understand large diverse ocean town can be a challenge which is why we are trying to do our research. I welcome all suggestions as I want to make a great choice!

Old 05-30-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Golden Age 1 apparently my family will attract "looks" in the Virginia Beach area. At least according to one poster.
Frankly, I think that poster is speaking of a very few individuals. Virginia Beach is diverse, and the military folks have been everywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina