U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Need a place with good schools, lots of families, close to the beach, slower paced, info online

Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM

22 posts, read 55,878 times
Default House is sold...need to find a home!

We close on our house at the end of February and have to be out three days later. We are planning to move somewhere between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, but are not sure where to go.

We have 2 young kids, ages 3 and 6, so I need a place where the schools are good and there is a lot of families around. I also want to be close to the beach. We lived in Wilmington 2 years ago and can't afford to live there again, as the home prices skyrocketed after we left there. Also, I would like to find somewhere a little less crowded and slower paced. We will probably rent for a year to get used to the area and figure out where we want to eventually build.

I was looking at Shallotte, but also keeping Leland and Calabash in mind. I remember the drive from Wilmington to Myrtle was pretty rural between Leland and Shallotte and don't want that. Leland seems to be up and coming, I'm just not sure what to do.

We will probably go out there in a few weeks to drive around, get a feel for the areas, and put a deposit down on a place. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 AM

709 posts, read 2,211,664 times
Smile Are you set on Wilmington-Myrtle beach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKendan View Post
We close on our house at the end of February and have to be out three days later. We are planning to move somewhere between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, but are not sure where to go.

We have 2 young kids, ages 3 and 6, so I need a place where the schools are good and there is a lot of families around. I also want to be close to the beach. We lived in Wilmington 2 years ago and can't afford to live there again, as the home prices skyrocketed after we left there. Also, I would like to find somewhere a little less crowded and slower paced. We will probably rent for a year to get used to the area and figure out where we want to eventually build.

I was looking at Shallotte, but also keeping Leland and Calabash in mind. I remember the drive from Wilmington to Myrtle was pretty rural between Leland and Shallotte and don't want that. Leland seems to be up and coming, I'm just not sure what to do.

We will probably go out there in a few weeks to drive around, get a feel for the areas, and put a deposit down on a place. Any advice?
What you are describing sounds a lot like the Crystal Coast between Swansboro and Beaufort.

We live near Cape Carteret and love it. There aren't as many services as the Wilmington area, but the schools are very good and the pace is slower. You also have the Croatan National Forest to keep things from coming completely developed.

It's a nice area with lots of friendly people.

I have lots of info online about what I call our "coastal paradise in NC."

Hope you have good luck finding the right spot. The NC coast has lots of them.

If you change you mind and want to look up the coast and have questions, I'll be glad to try to respond. We're about 65 miles from Wilmington and are lucky to have south facing beaches which catch some nice sun even in the winter.

This was sunset yesterday (http://coastalnc.org/coldsunsetatei - broken link).

It was cold this morning and our cove was iced up (http://coastalnc.org/bluewatercoveicedup - broken link). The temperature is now 35 and hopefully the Herons won't have to wait much longer before the ice melts.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM

22 posts, read 55,878 times
Thanks for the info. What can you say about available jobs in that area? My husband and I will both be looking for jobs. I have my NC real estate license, but my husband will need a factory type job, as he has an Associate's Degree in general studies.

We have been to Beaufort and loved it and what you describe sounds wonderful.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM

709 posts, read 2,211,664 times
Smile Jobs are the challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKendan View Post
Thanks for the info. What can you say about available jobs in that area? My husband and I will both be looking for jobs. I have my NC real estate license, but my husband will need a factory type job, as he has an Associate's Degree in general studies.

We have been to Beaufort and loved it and what you describe sounds wonderful.
The real estate market is a challenge now unless you have some funds to carry you until the market changes.

Long term I believe the real estate market will recover here and do very well. It takes a significant amount of time for a new agent to get going, so it might be that the market would turn by the time you were established, but it is hard to predict.

There aren't many factories in the area but there are some. You might start watching the Carteret News Times (broken link).

That's the real trade-off for the quiet beaches in the area. You have to work very hard to find a job. Many people work on the military bases.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina