U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 06:52 PM
VSB VSB started this thread

167 posts, read 725,187 times

Advertisements

We take an annual trip to the Outer Banks each summer with a group and rent one of those astronomically large rental homes on Currituck Sound on on the Ocean.

We typically stay in Duck or Corolla but we have also stayed in Kill Devil Hills.

A friend of mine wants to go down there with just he, his wife, and their 1 year old. He is into luxury, but I can't think of any truly luxury type hotels.

His view of luxury is a true resort-style hotel as opposed to a condo unit. I suppose he would go for a condo if it also had some hotel-like amenities (e.g. restaurant, beach front chairs, maintained pool, outdoor bar, et cetera et cetera).

Can this be found on the NC coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,642,963 times
For the outer banks look up Sanderling Resort
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,055,492 times
Another option would be Bald Head Island, very expensive and exclusive, rentals there are prohibitively high for most of the states' population. It is only accessable by private boat or ferry, or helicopter. You will not be able to bring your car, the island is golf carts only (except for the local police and construction efforts) Nice golf course, shops and restaurants, even a grocery story; lots of water, alligators and one of the largest snapping turtles in existence on the east coast. If you bring your dog, do not chain it outside, they tend to disappear in the night, alligator food. Do not let it roam freely, same reason. Good surf fishing at times. Check listings in the Southport area for realtors, some there will be able to book villas or beach houses by the weekend or longer. They moved "George" a huge Alligator, in excess of 15 feet long, off of the Pond on hole no. 16 a few years back. As I understand it, he now graces the area around the battleship N. Carolina.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:54 AM

844 posts, read 2,679,640 times
Default I didn't realize that NC had Alligators??

Are there a lot of them in NC? How about the New Bern to Morehead City Area?

Thank you,....marc

Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

Thank you,....marc
Bald Head Island is semi-tropical, something about currents keeps the island warmer than the mainland. YES, there are quite a few Alligators on Bald Head. While fishing the golf course we would occassionally find 15 to 20 golf balls on the fairway, nobody around. This means that a fair sized alligator has been suning itself. The golfers hit close to the beast and, rather than take a chance and turn their backs while in close proximity to an 8 to 10 foot long, low to the ground, green, heavily scaled, prehistoric critter with lots of teeth and very strong jaws; they leave the ball there, take a free drop a safe distance away and go on with the game. Sometimes the golfers may dress funny, but, many do have good sense. It is rare for an Alligator to be seen much farther north than Southport, Wilmington area. The safest way to deal with Alligators is to leave them alone. Do not pose small children with them. Do not try to feed them by hand. Do not poke at them with a stick. If attacked, jump sideways, not straight back, they can outrun you but don't corner well. If you see them coming, move, give them right-of-way and never assume they are being friendly. As I understand it, it took 8 trained wildlife officers to move George off of no. 16, attempted alligator wrestling will probably void your life insurance policy.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 01-21-2008 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 AM

713 posts, read 3,474,998 times
Smile Would second the motion on Sanderling Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
We take an annual trip to the Outer Banks each summer with a group and rent one of those astronomically large rental homes on Currituck Sound on on the Ocean.

We typically stay in Duck or Corolla but we have also stayed in Kill Devil Hills.

A friend of mine wants to go down there with just he, his wife, and their 1 year old. He is into luxury, but I can't think of any truly luxury type hotels.

His view of luxury is a true resort-style hotel as opposed to a condo unit. I suppose he would go for a condo if it also had some hotel-like amenities (e.g. restaurant, beach front chairs, maintained pool, outdoor bar, et cetera et cetera).

Can this be found on the NC coast?
I stayed at the Sanderling Inn several years ago and would agree that it is pretty close to what you want.

At that time, they had a restaurant and at least one very large suite.

They are building the Grand Villas in Indian Beach/Salter Path which is intended to be luxury condominiums with resort amenities, but it is still under construction.

The location is about half way between Emerald Isle and Atlantic beach.

Next time I am over that way, I'll take a picture.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,689,105 times
Default American Alligator in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

Thank you,....marc
http://www.city-data.com/forum/641343-post11.html

Last edited by mm34b; 01-21-2008 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
I stayed at the Sanderling Inn several years ago and would agree that it is pretty close to what you want.

At that time, they had a restaurant and at least one very large suite.

They are building the Grand Villas in Indian Beach/Salter Path which is intended to be luxury condominiums with resort amenities, but it is still under construction.

The location is about half way between Emerald Isle and Atlantic beach.

Next time I am over that way, I'll take a picture.

I'm still bummed out because they sold out Salter Path Family Campground, it was a great place to camp, in the shade even. Ah well, have been using the one in Atlantic Beach, still good camping and amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina