U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 04:58 PM

52 posts, read 101,678 times

Advertisements

Hi There -

My family and I are considering a job move to the Wilmington area. I'm trying to do some research on the area to narrow down where we'd like to look for a house. We don't want to be in the city, as we are used to more of a rural feel for home (large back yard, quiet roads, etc). Ideally, I'd like to find a nice house, and a bit of land within 30 minutes of the city proper. We have an almost 4 year old, so any input on the school districts that are desirable would be helpful. We are in our mid-30's. I've been to the area a few times, mainly as a tourist (Carolina Beach, the aquarium, etc), didn't spend much time checking out the neighborhoods. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:21 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbour View Post
We don't want to be in the city, as we are used to more of a rural feel for home (large back yard, quiet roads, etc). Ideally, I'd like to find a nice house, and a bit of land within 30 minutes of the city proper. We have an almost 4 year old, so any input on the school districts that are desirable would be helpful.
I suggest you stay within New Hanover County, perhaps in Castle Hayne. Pender County is further out and more rural, but the schools are not great.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I suggest you stay within New Hanover County, perhaps in Castle Hayne. Pender County is further out and more rural, but the schools are not great.
Aren't the Topsail/Hampstead schools in Pender County? I thought they were fairly well regarded. Wouldn't the Hampstead area be somewhere for the OP to look?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:01 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Aren't the Topsail/Hampstead schools in Pender County? I thought they were fairly well regarded. Wouldn't the Hampstead area be somewhere for the OP to look?
Yes, my bad. The OP should be able to find a rural setting in the Topsail school district if they go north of Highway 17.

Some other Pender schools districts like Rocky Point and Burgaw are fair to average, so I won't recommend them.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:32 PM

31 posts, read 33,356 times
We choose Hampstead mainly for the Topsail school district.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbour View Post
Hi There -

My family and I are considering a job move to the Wilmington area. I'm trying to do some research on the area to narrow down where we'd like to look for a house. We don't want to be in the city, as we are used to more of a rural feel for home (large back yard, quiet roads, etc). Ideally, I'd like to find a nice house, and a bit of land within 30 minutes of the city proper. We have an almost 4 year old, so any input on the school districts that are desirable would be helpful. We are in our mid-30's. I've been to the area a few times, mainly as a tourist (Carolina Beach, the aquarium, etc), didn't spend much time checking out the neighborhoods. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Where are you moving from? Knowing that may help in the context of what you are looking for in the Wilmington area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or