U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,869 times

Advertisements

I live in CONNECTICUT and my job is tranferring me to rocky mount nc for work. I hear the town is kinda bad and high in crime. I will be moving there with 2 young children and i would like to move to a nice area with good schools, which wont be to far from rocky mount. Im willing to comute about 30 minutes if i have to, which towns surrounding rocky mount are good for raising a family and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 12:36 PM

11,264 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISHA29 View Post
Im willing to comute about 30 minutes if i have to, which towns surrounding rocky mount are good for raising a family and safe.
Previously, I recommended the New Hope Elementary School district in Wilson and the Gardner and Coopers Elementary School districts in Elm City.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
I know a number of folks with children that live in Nashville, which is an easy commute to Rocky Mount.

General rule of thumb is the Nash County side of Rocky Mount is better than the Edgecombe County side.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:53 AM

11 posts, read 9,994 times
I am looking into New Hope Elementary. What have you found out about this school? it is not highly ranked overall, but seems to be the best in Gastonia. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,818,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoundNeedHelp View Post
I am looking into New Hope Elementary. What have you found out about this school? it is not highly ranked overall, but seems to be the best in Gastonia. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Your search engine has led you astray. The New Hope Elementary referenced above is in Wilson, NC, hundreds of miles from Gastonia. My advice is to start a new thread on the Charlotte Board asking for opinions regarding NHE in Gastonia.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 9,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Your search engine has led you astray. The New Hope Elementary referenced above is in Wilson, NC, hundreds of miles from Gastonia. My advice is to start a new thread on the Charlotte Board asking for opinions regarding NHE in Gastonia.
Thanks so much

Old 10-29-2015, 11:02 PM

68 posts, read 84,621 times
Can't tell from your post if you have moved to NC yet, but will give you the best information I can in regards to the Rocky Mount and surrounding areas. Rocky Mount has some very nice areas and some areas I would not even think about going near, even in mid day. Such is with a lot of towns anywhere. We live in Tarboro, NC, which is 16 miles east of Rocky Mount. It is a small town, low crime and it is in Edgecombe County. Not all schools in Edgecombe County are low rated. There are charter schools, magnet schools and private schools as well as the public schools.

Some good things about Tarboro is that it is centrally located between some larger cities, but doesn't have the traffic and higher crime ratings. We are 16 'miles east of Rocky Mount, (as stated earlier), 30 miles north east of Wilson, 60 miles east of Raleigh, 30 miles west of Greenville and 115 miles to the coast. Greenville offers amazing medical facilities and trauma center. Duke Medical Center, Chapel Hill, and Rex Hospital are all within an hour and half away.

Tarboro has a lot of history, beautiful old Victorian homes that have been well taken care of through the years, a beautiful Main Street, just perfect for strolling and you can even stop at the "Classic Diner" for a milk shake or a glass of wine at "On The Square". A full running brewery will also be opening soon.

Housing is priced well below the median; anything from the late 1800's to the vintage era of the 60's and 70's to newer homes. And if you need something for your new home or yard, we have 3 home and garden centers, professional landscaping companies Since it is a small town, people call you by name when you walk into their establishment. Always making you feel as if you belong, giving you their full attention. When I moved here, fourteen years ago, one neighbor dropped off a pecan pie, another, a warm loaf of homemade bread and another, a beautiful gigantic white Mum. What kind of towns and neighborhoods offer this kind of welcome anymore?

Hope I have given you some thought and a little insight into this area. Maybe you can check it out for yourself soon. Wishing you good luck on your move!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:48 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,755,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I know a number of folks with children that live in Nashville, which is an easy commute to Rocky Mount.

General rule of thumb is the Nash County side of Rocky Mount is better than the Edgecombe County side.
Think that rule is a lot more rock solid than general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or