U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 11,384,581 times

Advertisements

The best schools in the state are in Chapel Hill, but they may be too much for her if she hasn't been in school. They have a large number of gifted kids and if your kid is prone to be competitive and stresses about grades they can be very competitive academically. If she's more easy-going and doesn't fall in with the uber competitive crowd it might be good. Orange County Schools and Chatham County schools are also both good, but don't have the reputation for competitive academics that CHCCS does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM

52 posts, read 59,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
I don't want to come off too harsh here, but do you really expect your daughter to suddenly make "good" friends in a single year of high school (I'm assuming from your statement she will be a senior this year)? Even if she's a junior, there's going to be a steep learning curve when it comes to adjusting to a completely new town, new social environment, new house, new everything. Even the most perfect, well-adjusted person in the world would take a while to fit in. How long have your daughters been home schooled? Have they been taking part in any group activities - youth group, sports, Girl Scouts, etc - with other kids during this time? I'm just trying to get an idea of what level of culture shock you'll be exposing them to.

That being said, I think your kids will have an easier time fitting in in a larger school and town than in a small one. In a bigger school, they won't stick out so much as being "the new kids". I've seen first hand what can happen when new kids show up in small town schools - they may be treated almost as alien life forms and never fully accepted.

Wherever you go, I would encourage you and your family to join some groups and organizations that are of any interest to you. I'm not a church person, but if you and your family are, I think joining a church early on will help you fit in and help you all make new friends. Encourage your children to take part in extracurricular activities, to give them more time to interact with local kids. You all - especially your children - will have a lot of ground to make up.

I know and have known several people in the Wilmington area who are from Maine. Kind of weird, when you consider how low the population of Maine is to begin with. My ex was from Lowell, former next-door neighbors were from Caribou, current co-worker is from Searsport. I keep thinking there can't be many of you left up there
My daughter will be a junior this coming year. She has been home schooling since half way through her freshman year. For many reasons. Mostly because we do live in a small town, and if you don't act like a robot and follow the "popular" group, you are shunned, rumors are spread and life is not fun. I know this happens everywhere, but there are other circumstances. Also, the school here, is bases on mostly foreign students that come from other countries and pay a whole lot of money (more than a college tuition), and sports. If you aren't involved in certain sports, and you aren't from another country, they really don't care. However, she does get involved with things, and she has plenty of friends, unfortunately, most are not in this town. lol. She is very mature for her age, and very friendly. She loves to try new things, and she is the least judgmental girl you would ever meet. She gives everyone a chance. She babysits for several local families, as the little ones seem to love her and she is awesome with them. Most adults in this town will tell you that they don't understand why the teenagers here give her such a hard time, as she is pretty, she is smart and she is very personable....we believe it's a jealousy issue. Also, she is very close with us, and you don't see a lot of that here with kids her age. Her class and the year ahead of her are known as the worst classes, and disrespectful. She isn't that way, she won't bully others, she has a heart of gold and helps the underdog. So, I think she will make friends okay. Even if they aren't life long friends, she will have fun and people to hang out with. Not much to do here.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 PM

52 posts, read 59,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjb1953 View Post
I will vouch for Newport.My fiance works there for a non-profit.We live in New Bern and she commutes daily .Havelock has the military base so you will run into many military families.I love being so close to the beach but not right on it.You have plenty of choices activity wise to fill your plate.I might be retired but I am far from immobile and my fiance has just started in a local rock band.If you want to there is plenty to do.
I sure hope no one thinks I don't want to be near retirees....I just would like that mix. I love senior citizens and my husband works part time at a senior citizen apartment complex as the maintenance manager, he takes care of snow removal (yuk), lawn care, all the little things that break and he is on call basically 24/7 in case anyone has any problems there.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 AM

11,302 posts, read 19,879,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
I cannot stress enough how much I need a place where my daughter can make friends....good friends. Our area is very clicky, the kids are very disrespectful and mean, so my daughter is home schooled, but would like to enjoy at least her senior year in high school, doing the things high schoolers should be doing.
I am not sure of your religious persuasion, but have you considered a small private or Christian school for your daughter? They are all over the state, and parents use them to avoid many bad things about public schools.

My brother's kids were home-schooled until high school. Then the shy or sensitive kids went to the local Christian school, and the more resiliant ones went to public high school. The Christian school put emphasis on being loving to classmates. They also de-emphasized the material things that make some kids jealous and envious.

Otherwise, I suggest looking for an area where there are many transplants and the kids are used to seeing new faces, eg growth areas around Charlotte or Raleigh. Or the military-oriented towns around Jacksonville.

I am afraid if you went into a small town like Rutherfordton that your daughter would be surrounded by kids who have lived there their whole lives. It might be very hard for her to be accepted with only two years to get to know kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or