Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:01 PM

53 posts, read 89,740 times

Advertisements

Not really sure where to start. We are relocating to NC, from Maine (the frozen tundra!). We were there in March, but had limited time. We did visit Shallotte, Southport, Leland, Wilmington, Oak Island and Sunset Beach. I loved the beaches. We stayed in Shallotte. However, we didn't see any teenagers. I have a 16 year old daughter, and I want her to have a chance to make some good friends and have things to do. So as far as the East coast goes, what would be recommended for safe, small, things to do, teenagers, and very low crime? Does that exist? We really didn't like Leland so much, houses way too close. We also visited Seven Lakes, Pinehurst areas. Pinehurst seemed to be more of a retirement area. Seven Lakes was beautiful. Also, have been finding some nice homes online in Carthage. Now, to the West...mostly looked over towards Brevard. Didn't get a chance to visit, but looks beautiful, and has all four seasons, which I think would be nice. Also, looking at Mooresville, which I have heard some good and some bad. So anyone out there with information on any of those areas? My husband would really like to be by the ocean, but I need to find the right area, the low crime (where you can go for a walk in the evening without worries), things to do, shopping, even the quaint downtown shopping would be nice (we have nothing here!). I like the idea of having a yard and I cannot stress enough how much I need a place where my daughter can make friends....good friends. Our area is very clicky, the kids are very disrespectful and mean, so my daughter is home schooled, but would like to enjoy at least her senior year in high school, doing the things high schoolers should be doing. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
My husband would really like to be by the ocean, but I need to find the right area, the low crime (where you can go for a walk in the evening without worries), things to do, shopping, even the quaint downtown shopping would be nice (we have nothing here!). I like the idea of having a yard and I cannot stress enough how much I need a place where my daughter can make friends....good friends. Our area is very clicky, the kids are very disrespectful and mean, so my daughter is home schooled, but would like to enjoy at least her senior year in high school, doing the things high schoolers should be doing. Any help is appreciated.
I can only comment on eastern North Carolina. I think you should look at some past threads on Newport. The high school gets good ratings, there seems to be a good community spirit and the kids sound wholesome and well-behaved. (Many families are military.) Newport will not have quaint downtown shopping, but you can visit Beaufort and Morehead City for that.

You should probably separate out your questions on Mooresville and Brevard. They will get the best answers in the Charlotte and the Western NC sub-forums respectively.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,239 times
Eastern NC is a nice place not alot of large cities. Its strange in the regard that just a few miles in from the ocean its all farm country. Charlotte is the hub of Mooresville Statesville Hickory etc. Seems like when ever I go to that area it has grown again Ive never been to Asheville but I hear its really pretty. btw Iam also from Me originally

Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
There are plenty of teenagers in Wilmington. Not sure why you wouldn't have seen any. There are some retirees there, too, but it's not really known as a retirement destination like Pinehurst. I think I would curl up and die if I had to live in Pinehurst btw, and I grew up down the road. Gotta like golf if you live there. Super hot in the summer, too. Hottest place in the state — significantly hotter than the coast.

In North Carolina the population centers are in the middle of the state (the piedmont), with Charlotte and Raleigh as the biggest cities. On the coast, Wilmington is the largest city, but it only has a population of 112,000, so not quite twice the size of Portland.

If I were going to live on the coast, I'd look at Wilmington which does have a very nice historic district and riverwalk, or maybe Southport or Beaufort, but they're very small. You could look at New Bern, but it's a retiree destination again, and not so much a teen place. Wilmington would be great for a teen, though.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:03 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
Our area is very clicky, the kids are very disrespectful and mean, so my daughter is home schooled, but would like to enjoy at least her senior year in high school, doing the things high schoolers should be doing. Any help is appreciated.
If you think your area is "clicky" you will find ENC to be very much so as well.. Especially towards outsiders. Many of the towns are economically depressed as well..

Old 06-12-2015, 06:40 AM

183 posts, read 326,795 times
I will vouch for Newport.My fiance works there for a non-profit.We live in New Bern and she commutes daily .Havelock has the military base so you will run into many military families.I love being so close to the beach but not right on it.You have plenty of choices activity wise to fill your plate.I might be retired but I am far from immobile and my fiance has just started in a local rock band.If you want to there is plenty to do.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:35 AM

353 posts, read 604,501 times
Quote:
...I cannot stress enough how much I need a place where my daughter can make friends....good friends...
I don't want to come off too harsh here, but do you really expect your daughter to suddenly make "good" friends in a single year of high school (I'm assuming from your statement she will be a senior this year)? Even if she's a junior, there's going to be a steep learning curve when it comes to adjusting to a completely new town, new social environment, new house, new everything. Even the most perfect, well-adjusted person in the world would take a while to fit in. How long have your daughters been home schooled? Have they been taking part in any group activities - youth group, sports, Girl Scouts, etc - with other kids during this time? I'm just trying to get an idea of what level of culture shock you'll be exposing them to.

That being said, I think your kids will have an easier time fitting in in a larger school and town than in a small one. In a bigger school, they won't stick out so much as being "the new kids". I've seen first hand what can happen when new kids show up in small town schools - they may be treated almost as alien life forms and never fully accepted.

Wherever you go, I would encourage you and your family to join some groups and organizations that are of any interest to you. I'm not a church person, but if you and your family are, I think joining a church early on will help you fit in and help you all make new friends. Encourage your children to take part in extracurricular activities, to give them more time to interact with local kids. You all - especially your children - will have a lot of ground to make up.

I know and have known several people in the Wilmington area who are from Maine. Kind of weird, when you consider how low the population of Maine is to begin with. My ex was from Lowell, former next-door neighbors were from Caribou, current co-worker is from Searsport. I keep thinking there can't be many of you left up there

Old 06-12-2015, 08:19 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
If you want your daughter to make friends, I strongly suggest moving to one of the places where lots of people move....Charlotte and Raleigh. there will be a lot more "new" people there and many of the "old" people will have been new at one time.

If you move east or west, with the possible exceptions of Asheville in the West and Wilmington in the East (or a military centric area like Havelock, Jacksonville,or Fayetteville) your child will be mixed in with a bunch of folks who have been together for years. It will be difficult for her to be accepted quickly.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I'm not sure what your housing budget is, but I'm going to suggest the Chapel Hill - Durham area (not Raleigh). I know a lot of homeschooled kids in this area and I think she could fit in well and make many new friends if you want to continue that path. They are a very welcoming bunch, but do have a lot of organized activities and even a prom. It's not the beach or the mountains, but it's very pleasant scenery and a pretty easy day trip to the beach and an easy weekend trip to the mountains.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:45 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Hendersonville has a top 1000 high school, there are none in Eastern NC. Cary has 2.

The best schools on the coast are Dare County schools (OBX), however the population is seasonal and there is not much to do.

Wilmington would be my forced choice in the NC beach areas.

Try Beaufort, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina