U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
PKB

2 posts, read 9,070 times

Advertisements

Thank you Beffery2 for your response to all the complaints about Greenville. I've been here for more years than any who have responded and like you want to say if you want "big city" then go to one. But better yet look around a little here first. My 2 kids and I never had a problem finding neat stuff to do. There's Sunday in the park, plays,art walks and though regretfully the live music isn't what it used to be, there are even some new venues such as Fountain General Store and Whimpies ( 15 min from G'ville) which provide neat local color and live bands. We are a short ride from Raliegh with a GREAT art museum huge all week open air market and antiques, a hop from the ocean,forts and aquariums,and you don't have to be a fisherman to have a blast by just packing a lunch and heading to Tar or Pamlico River, or one of the many creeks and landings in the area. As for visiting with neighbors try living in smaller outlying towns such as Ayden, Grifton or Tarboro. I have not resided in subdivisions but have found people in historic and more established parts of towns to be more than enough company for me. Another really cool place for us "older" folks is Cinderienne's in Ayden. Its a quaint wine and beer shop that has absolutely wonderful gatherings that feel more like " Cheers" than podunck NC. My point? I have been to bigger and maybe better places but few freindlier,safer, or cheaper. Sometimes you do have to actually look for " stuff to do" but I promise you it's out there. Pick up your newspaper, ask around, and check out eastern NC online. Or better yet, open a bar for us old folks and help us all out! lol Good luck and seriously, get out and ride a little. It may not be Charleston, but it may surprise you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 03:32 PM

451 posts, read 1,689,118 times
^Great post! Since Greenville is not a touristy area, there aren't many major attractions that a city like Charleston would have. But, there are lots of things to do. You have to go out and look for them sometimes, but they are there. There are some cool places and stores in town but they don't advertise like a big-box store does, so they can be hard to find.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 47,582 times
If all you have to say is "if you don't like it, then leave" then don't bother replying. I was just wanting suggestions of places to go for family outings, things to do on a lazy Sunday or somewhere to go get a few drinks and listen to some music. Thank you to those who have given recommendations...they are appreciated.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:36 PM

16 posts, read 47,586 times
I am in my early 30's with 3 children. My husband and I are moving to the East coast of NC just not sure where yet? Any suggestions? How about Washington?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 9,762 times
I have lived in Greenville for about 7 years now. I graduated from ECU with a BS, then stayed and finished my MBA, and still decided to stay after that and work. I love it so far. Yes the crime is up, but I don't think it is any worse than most other cities. I am 25 and out of the college phase, though I do go back to my old stomping ground bars from time to time, and I feel like there is plenty to do for middle-age individuals. There are plenty of opportunities for mingling, meeting people, etc;

Favorite restaurants (non-chain) - CPWs (best italian), Wimpies (in Winterville - has live music and great seafood), Professor OCool's (great for catching sports/games, good drink specials, family-friendly, great american food), Backwater Jacks in Washington (great food - best burger around, great beachy atmosphere, great drinks, VERY kid friendly - on the waterfront by a park), Boli's (downtown - best pizza in town, not the cleanest restaurant, great drink specials), Daily Grind - great martinis, desserts, and food, Chefs 505 - great bar and food but more expensive

Bars for the 30's crowd (not the downtown college bars):
Chefs 505 lounge
Starlight Cafe (downtown)
Fourth Street Wine Bar in Jefferson's (downtown)
Daily Grind for martinis
Professor OCools
City Hotel and Bistro (great live music)
Ham's (great food, drink specials, and karaoke/live music)
Tiebreakers (great live music/poker/etc

Great ideas for families:
KidFest (find out dates in the mixer or daily reflector newspapers)
ECU Football/Basketball/Baseball games
ECU theater/music for plays/shows
Riverpark North Science and Nature Center
The estuary in Washington
Washington Waterfront
Day Camps at Greenville Aquatics and Fitness Center or Pitt County Community and Schools
Storytime at Barnes and Noble or the Public Library
Greenville City Recreation programs for sports/camps/art classes and more
Tons of events like canine crawl, art walks, international festival, kids festivals, holiday festivals and more
Many of the parks that Greenville has to offer

I have heard that it is easy to meet other couples for playdates, etc; at church, I had a friend tell me that she never really felt connected or like she belonged to a social group until she found a home church. So if you are religious, you might want to check out some of the many churches in Greenville.

There is plenty to do! You just have to know where to look! Many neighborhoods have socials/cookouts through their neighborhood associations. Once you plug into a couple of groups/networks, the rest should just fall into place.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 18,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttk95 View Post
I've been here since 2003 and I have yet to find really anything to "do" besides going out to eat and shopping. I don't hunt, fish, or go camping and my daughter is not interested in playing sports. I would enjoy going to a bar or club once in a while but don't want t be surrounded by drunk college kids.
I live in decent neighborhood in Winterville but the neighbors don't really talk here. So, what to do in Greenville? We're 30 somethings with a 9 yr old daughter that love to socialize, meet new people, and have a good time. Moved here for the job but were MUCH happier in Charleston, SC. Man I miss it there... so much to do there.
I too have felt your pain. I highly reccomend Chef's 505. I single handedly owe them for keeping me there for 3 years .The crowd is 25 and up. The place is classy, moody and modern. Great place to have dinner and drinks. People are usually the transplants, so you are def more apt to meet people who are educated and cultured.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,670 times
Default a fantastic neighborhood to live in greenville

Colony Woods in greenville, nc is the friendliest neighborhood you could ever ask for. We had a house built here in 2007. There are a few homes for sale and plenty of lots available to have a home built. The great thing about this neighborhood is everyone that lives here are friends. Someone in the neighborhood has a get together at least once a month. The guys get together to watch football or baseball and even have a fantasy football league together. the ladies get together to play bunco and do weekend shopping trips. Other parties that we all have had such as christmas, halloween, kids birthday, labor day, summer BBQ and even an impromptu day after tropical storm hannah party! A huge tree in one of the owners property had been blown over from the storm and everyone in the development pitched in to lend a hand to clean it up! when was the last time you could say that happened in your neighborhood? The Homes here are reasonably priced and are in the style of craftsman and bungalow but all brand new! The ages range from mid twenties with no kids to mid 30's and 40's with kids to late fifties. There are people who were born and raised in greenville and went to ecu to people from california, new york, boston, vermont and florida yet we all have a bunch in common and one big thing is we all love this community we have created. So if you are looking for a great place to live, raise a family or retire you won't find a better place to be. Where else can you find yankees, red sox, mets, braves, dodgers fans nicely co-exist? the same for cowboys, giants, dolphins, chargers, panthers and patriots fans! Hope to see you here soon!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,507 times
There is a new resturant with live music on Friday & Saturday nights. The atmosphere is laid back with adults in mind but seems to be family friendly. The fireplace is in the middle of the bar and the Baby Grand sounds wonderful not to mention the food was great and the drinks were too! It's called Harry & Jean's. It's on Woodruff Rd across from Costco. The staff seemed eager to please and we enjoyed ourselves alot for our date night. We're the 40's and 50's crowd LOL.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:07 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,045,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttk95 View Post
I've been here since 2003 and I have yet to find really anything to "do" besides going out to eat and shopping. I don't hunt, fish, or go camping and my daughter is not interested in playing sports. I would enjoy going to a bar or club once in a while but don't want t be surrounded by drunk college kids.
I live in decent neighborhood in Winterville but the neighbors don't really talk here. So, what to do in Greenville? We're 30 somethings with a 9 yr old daughter that love to socialize, meet new people, and have a good time. Moved here for the job but were MUCH happier in Charleston, SC. Man I miss it there... so much to do there.
Have you tried the Firehouse Gameroom & Bar in Ayden. There is a cover charge to get in (keeps the riff-raff out) but they have what the name implies. I do believe kids are welcome. 3567 A&T Lane in Ayden. Call them to make sure it's what you're looking for before you go. 252-746-8198

I realize it can be difficult to make friends here for whatever reason. I moved here from MD in 2006 and only recently found someone that would call me back if I called them. It's someone else that recently moved here from MD.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,045,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Murphy View Post
It's called Harry & Jean's. It's on Woodruff Rd across from Costco.
You do know we're talking about Greenville, North Carolina right? There is no Costco or Woodruff Rd. in Greenville, North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina