U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times

Advertisements

If you want to do things in Charleston, you're gonna have to be in Charleston.

Greenville has all the ECU sports and arts activities.

You are thirty minutes, max from Little Washington. Great waterfront, great downtown and Dick's hot dogs. The Estuarium there is also worth a visit.

You are another 20 minutes from Goose Creek State park. Hiking, nature and lots of critters. About the same distance, different direction is the Aurora Fossil Museum. That should occupy you for a day trip.

You really are not that far from Raleigh and the roads there are great. Just invest in whatever the trip is, and like Andy and Barney did, go down to Raleigh, "cause they got great Chinese in Raleigh."

OR, maybe you change, and develop some interests that Greenville can accommodate.

Good Luck.

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,545 times
Beffrey2 - What you wrote was uninformative to say the least. You did not cite any examples of things to do in Greenville, and your projection of 90% more things to do than the remainder of the US is hilarious. Not only is there nothing to do here, there is no iMax theater, there's only one place that brews its own beer & it's horrible, there's barely any live music, there are never any large concerts, no real museums, downtown is all boarded up & what's not boarded up is just the same bar repeated over & over...

Today is Saturday and I thought it'd be cool to see a play with my friend (I'm 30 and she's 29) and we could not find anything going on at any theaters. There aren't even places to play laser tag!

We just want to do SOMETHING. What is WRONG with this town? I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgilead View Post
Beffrey2 - What you wrote was uninformative to say the least. You did not cite any examples of things to do in Greenville, and your projection of 90% more things to do than the remainder of the US is hilarious. Not only is there nothing to do here, there is no iMax theater, there's only one place that brews its own beer & it's horrible, there's barely any live music, there are never any large concerts, no real museums, downtown is all boarded up & what's not boarded up is just the same bar repeated over & over...

Today is Saturday and I thought it'd be cool to see a play with my friend (I'm 30 and she's 29) and we could not find anything going on at any theaters. There aren't even places to play laser tag!

We just want to do SOMETHING. What is WRONG with this town? I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone.
Nothing is wrong with Greenville. It has an average to above average number of things to do compared to other cities of it's size in NC and a whole lot of others states.

A couple of stats for you to chew on...

1: There are less than 500 iMax theatres in the WORLD. To expect Greenville to have one is asking way too much.

2: Across all of NC there are only 40 microbreweries. Spread among 24 cities. The average per city is 1.6. And that number is only because Asheville has 7.

3: Downtown is far from boarded up and full of carbon copy bars. Try going to downtown in the DAYTIME. There are a bunch of nice shops there including a cool coffee house type place.

4: There's live music. You just don't like it.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKB View Post
I have been to bigger and maybe better places but few freindlier,safer, or cheaper.
Safer? Don't people get shot here pretty often? Someone opened fire at a downtown bar not too long ago and I hear it happens pretty often in this town.

Your post ("get a grip") was long and well-intended; but you mentioned there being plays, art walks, etc. which rarely happen (if ever) and definitely aren't happening right now, so...

I'll admit that this town is beginning to redeem itself with the introduction of Fresh Market and it's long list of gluten-free items. I do wish it were a little bigger. It's just difficult coming from progressive cities like Seattle and Asheville to a city that seems so behind-the-times when it comes to nutrition and culture.

*shrugs shoulders* I don't know... it'd be nice to find a coffee shop that has decaf espresso & soy milk (staples/standards for all coffee shops) besides Starbucks.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM

168 posts, read 435,740 times
Shot "pretty often" is a bit of an exaggeration. I think there were 10 total murders on greenvilles's city data for a year, and zero in Winterville. It is probably on the "safer side" of southern towns/cities, especially with a large University. And probably 9.9 out of every 10 weren't just random acts of violence, they was something behind each one (drugs, money etc.)

As for Nutrition, I plan on going to ECU as a Nutrition Major so hopefully I can bring some more "nutrition" into G-ville, although I don't think it's terrible atm.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:56 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,381 times
There are more cultural activities during the spring and fall semesters at ecu. Summer is much slower. Seems like some people forget that this is a small city...seattle it aint!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:50 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,180,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgilead View Post
Safer? Don't people get shot here pretty often? Someone opened fire at a downtown bar not too long ago and I hear it happens pretty often in this town.

Your post ("get a grip") was long and well-intended; but you mentioned there being plays, art walks, etc. which rarely happen (if ever) and definitely aren't happening right now, so...

I'll admit that this town is beginning to redeem itself with the introduction of Fresh Market and it's long list of gluten-free items. I do wish it were a little bigger. It's just difficult coming from progressive cities like Seattle and Asheville to a city that seems so behind-the-times when it comes to nutrition and culture.

*shrugs shoulders* I don't know... it'd be nice to find a coffee shop that has decaf espresso & soy milk (staples/standards for all coffee shops) besides Starbucks.
UNCs SGA president was gunned down and murdered. Violence happens everywhere. I would say most people think CH is very safe. Like another poster said, the MAJORITY of violent acts are against people their know.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 AM

291 posts, read 671,013 times
Fellow members of the #278. I am giving my 30 days notice and moving from this town. I have lived in a couple of different states, and cities in each, but this was by far the worst place I have ever lived. I am sorry but it's not even close.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,707 times
Default Hampton Creek

Forgive me because I have no idea how to use this website! I was just interested in your post because you mentioned the women in the neighborhood get together to play bunco. I have been looking for a group to get together with and I believe you live right down the street from me. Let me know if I could possibly sub in sometime!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicman View Post
Colony Woods in greenville, nc is the friendliest neighborhood you could ever ask for. We had a house built here in 2007. There are a few homes for sale and plenty of lots available to have a home built. The great thing about this neighborhood is everyone that lives here are friends. Someone in the neighborhood has a get together at least once a month. The guys get together to watch football or baseball and even have a fantasy football league together. the ladies get together to play bunco and do weekend shopping trips. Other parties that we all have had such as christmas, halloween, kids birthday, labor day, summer BBQ and even an impromptu day after tropical storm hannah party! A huge tree in one of the owners property had been blown over from the storm and everyone in the development pitched in to lend a hand to clean it up! when was the last time you could say that happened in your neighborhood? The Homes here are reasonably priced and are in the style of craftsman and bungalow but all brand new! The ages range from mid twenties with no kids to mid 30's and 40's with kids to late fifties. There are people who were born and raised in greenville and went to ecu to people from california, new york, boston, vermont and florida yet we all have a bunch in common and one big thing is we all love this community we have created. So if you are looking for a great place to live, raise a family or retire you won't find a better place to be. Where else can you find yankees, red sox, mets, braves, dodgers fans nicely co-exist? the same for cowboys, giants, dolphins, chargers, panthers and patriots fans! Hope to see you here soon!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
Greenville is a joke. The people are not friendly, the jobs are a joke, the driving is dangerous beyond belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina