U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 47,570 times

Advertisements

I've been here since 2003 and I have yet to find really anything to "do" besides going out to eat and shopping. I don't hunt, fish, or go camping and my daughter is not interested in playing sports. I would enjoy going to a bar or club once in a while but don't want t be surrounded by drunk college kids.
I live in decent neighborhood in Winterville but the neighbors don't really talk here. So, what to do in Greenville? We're 30 somethings with a 9 yr old daughter that love to socialize, meet new people, and have a good time. Moved here for the job but were MUCH happier in Charleston, SC. Man I miss it there... so much to do there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 AM

46 posts, read 179,638 times
I feel your pain ttk95. Greenville sucks if you are over 25 and married.

Per capita we have very few independent restaurants/shops/pubs that cater to the 30/40/50 crowd.

My spouse and I usually go out of town when we want such companionship (even New Bern is better at 1/3 the population!). The Chelsea and the Flame in New Bern are both good places.

My long term goal is to move away from this two bit college town but that is a work in progress at the moment.

Green Lantern pub on 5th street was a half-decent place when they first opened but their food and quality of service have gone down the drain. Ham's has good beer but the atmosphere is college oriented (MTV spring break on huge TV screens in the dining area just one example), on top of that smoking ruins the dining atmosphere of the entire restaurant.

I have heard that Rucker John's (new place near Pitt Community College) has a nice, smoke-free atmosphere that caters to someone besides college kids.

Have you ever tried Backwater Jack's in Washington? It's only about a 20-25 minute ride from Greenville.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,204 times
For independent restaurants that don't directly cater to the college crowd, i'd recommend A Tavola, CPW's, Finelli's, and Starlight Cafe (uptown).

Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 42,198 times
University Chop house is great too. I am fustrated aswell with the lack of night life in the area for us old folks...over 30....ha. Are you from SC to begin with, or somewhere else, seems like there are a lot of imports in this area, does not make sense that there are not more upscale resturant/nightlife type places.... someone could make a mint. I find our little family is secluded aswell, we don't do much. There is a great resurant in Washington called Pia's. Try it.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,204 times
Agreed...Pia's is excellent. Also try Chef 505 for good food and a pretty cool bar.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 AM

3 posts, read 47,570 times
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to try a few of them out. I'm just an average guy with an average family that likes to have a good time... I don't need anything extremely flashy, just a comfortable place to hang out and meet a few people.

BTW, we're looking for a new house... anyone know a neighborhood where the neighbors actually TALK to each other that I could check out? I moved to my subdivision in Winterville thinking we could meet a bunch of neighbors to talk to and hang out with but it's not like that at all here.

You guys have to understand that I come from a military background and hanging out with your neighbors and going out to have a good time has been a way of life for me.

Thanks again for the replies.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM
MJN

11 posts, read 51,754 times
Default Don't know of a neighborhood in Greenville, but just wanted to say

that I've lived here all of my 43 years and man, what a boring place to live!!! If dh and I could afford to live somewhere else, specifically VA, we'd be out of here in a heartbeat. I mean there is NOTHING to do here, you have to always GO somewhere outside of Greenville to have any fun. I don't know what the attraction is to Greenville. You would think someone would capitalize on the fact that this is a growing area (for whatever reason) and bring some FUN to the area. And by that, I mean something besides ANOTHER RESTAURANT, kwim? People have to want to do something else besides EAT, I would think! Anyhow, I found this site this afternoon because I'm researching VA to see if we can move there. BTW, I think Greenville people tend to keep to themselves pretty much. Sorry, but that's what I've observed all my life.

Have a good day!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 AM

46 posts, read 179,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
that I've lived here all of my 43 years and man, what a boring place to live!!! If dh and I could afford to live somewhere else, specifically VA, we'd be out of here in a heartbeat. I mean there is NOTHING to do here, you have to always GO somewhere outside of Greenville to have any fun. I don't know what the attraction is to Greenville. You would think someone would capitalize on the fact that this is a growing area (for whatever reason) and bring some FUN to the area. And by that, I mean something besides ANOTHER RESTAURANT, kwim? People have to want to do something else besides EAT, I would think! Anyhow, I found this site this afternoon because I'm researching VA to see if we can move there. BTW, I think Greenville people tend to keep to themselves pretty much. Sorry, but that's what I've observed all my life.

Have a good day!
I am with you MJN. I have lived here most of my life, left for a while and then returned to assist some extended family (elderly relatives who have since passed) and haven't been able to escape since. I am constantly amazed at the lack of culture in this town. The moment I can get a job elsewhere I will be GONE.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 AM

505 posts, read 2,313,223 times
What is it exactly you people want?

Funny to here people say Greenville has no nightlife.....ROTFLMAO

Yeah...if your 80!

There is more to do in Greenville than probably 90% of all American cities.

By your definition...there is nothing to do in 95% percent of south Carolina or Virginia either.

I can't stand when people come on this board...from a place like Charleston, SC, and then slam a town like Greenville, NC. What the hell do you expect??? There are very few towns in the U.S as cool as Charleston, SC.

I just moved here from NYC....Greenville sucks...waaaaaaaa.

If you don't like it, move! But to compare a town like Greenville to Charleston SC is just lame. There are few towns in this country the size of Greenville with as many nightclubs, bars, etc. I'm not a 30 something, but I guarantee there are bars for 30 something's around G-vegas!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 21,806 times
I havent lived in Charleston, SC. but I do live in Hampton Roads/Tidewater. Here, is wide open for things to do. We have virginia beach ocean front and two other waterfront areas that also host things to do during the year. All five cities has nights clubs and upscale restuarants and great year round activites for singles or family. You will never have to worry about eating at the same place every weekend. I would say there is at least 200 or more diffferent resturants in the tidewater area. The city will host the International Car shows, Boat Shows, Homearoma, Beauty Pageants, and Pro Athlete showing up for charity, plus the Professional Bowling Association stops in about two or three times a year and Professional Pool Players and I hear that the PGA also comes by to play at the TPC golf course located in virgina beach. The five surrounding cities have their own festivals during the year. Downtown Norfolk puts on their own Mardigras. The military will have air shows plus the Blue Angles comes by once a year. Also, dont forget Naval Air Station and NOB for the Navy Ships and Submarines. For family activites we have Tide Water Tides Baseball team, (now own by Baltimore) Admirial Hockey team, Downtown Boxing Club, Car Shows, Art Shows, etc,.... and the chance of hosting the Redskins training camp in virginia beach. .......Don't care about that because I am a cowboys fan. Downtown Norfolk has Opera and Musical Plays during the year. Virgina Beach has a water park and an indoor water aquarium. Norfolk has a small zoo. Bush Gardens, Kings Dominion and another water park is just an hour or half away. For shopping we have about six indoor malls, not including the downtown outdoor shops and williamsburgs outlet malls. The area has about 6 golf courses and like I mention Virginia Beach has the TPC golf course. There are seven different bowling alleys, about twenty movie theaters, one fishing pier. Hampton has a race track, and Camden, NC has a dirt track. I didnt mention that Nags Head is only a hour and few mins. away. For guys or girls that like to be competitive we have Softball clubs, Pool Tournaments, Golf Tournaments, Bowling Tournaments, Fishing Tournaments, and Running, Biking, and Volleyball and Poker Tournaments. There are two offsite horse betting tracks. I am sure that I miss a lot of other things to do. Thats the good part.

The bad part is the Real Estate and various taxes is high. Jobs are ok in the surrounding cities and not hard to find thanks to the Military being here. Traffic is sometimes bad. I work in Virginia Beach and a good day it will take me about 25 mins. to drive 18 miles. A bad day could be 30 to 1 hour to get home. We have bridges and tunnels to deal with and that could be a bad day for driving.

So, saying all of that should I move to Greenville, NC to buy a new house. New houses here starts around $300,000 and up.

Last edited by pbahamie; 01-27-2008 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: not finish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina