U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM

79 posts, read 277,854 times

Advertisements

I think the job market is decent for engineers around here. Sometimes it just depends on the economy and whether there is enough work for all of them! My dad is an engineer and so is my fiance... I know both of their places of business are hiring and there were several large engineering firms that cover eastern nc that were hiring not long ago also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM

452 posts, read 2,128,672 times
It's true there are no waves at the beaches here for the most part. I see surfers and they make me laugh...because there are seriously no waves! Just little, little breaks...on a choppy windy day there are more waves but I still don't see how you can surf in this area. However, people do.

I'm not fond of Wilmington but I'm not really a good person to ask because I only moved to this area 4 months ago, I was pregnant during the move, I'm very homesick, and I also haven't given Wilmington much of a chance. I don't go into Wilmington often at all. I had a really horrible experience at the hospital during and afer the delivery of my baby...and I'm not really able to go exploring much because I have 2 young kids now, and that's also a large source of my homesickness. I always liked to visit the beach area with my first kid but I always loved actually living inland, in the Concord/Charlotte area. Crime and traffic is better here, I feel safer, but there are too many things that I miss so badly from home that I am not objective yet about Wilmington. It seems to be a better environment to raise a family in, in general. My husband loves it, then again, he's BACK home again after all these years. He grew up here and was born here.

A lot of people will warn you about living in Brunswick County if you end up working in Wilmington or even steer you to north Brunswick such as Leland (which is ok but it is growing exponentially and going to be so crowded and less rural in the coming years)...but I always tell people that we like it better as a place to have a house and some land and my husband doesn't mind the commute. I'd rather be in Brunswick County on a daily basis than actually in Wilmington and just save Wilmington as the place to go to if I need a doctor or shopping, or for entertainment. It's pretty quiet here. That is what I like best about it- that, and I love Sunset Beach and Ocean Isle beach (especially Sunset, we live near both of them). I like being a short drive from Myrtle as well since I prefer that area to Wilmington. You can be near both of them here.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 AM

368 posts, read 835,338 times
Oh, BlueLily, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to be away from family and home when you have a new baby. We originally came to NC (with a one year old and a three year old) from upstate New York and now have the opportunity (depending on where my husband gets hired, of course) to move anywhere. Now that a move is actually imminent, I'm starting to feel like maybe I should just give up my brave girl act, admit I'm homesick and head back to New York where my whole big extended family is. It's so hard--I mean we could definitely have a better quality of life in the southeast (and I love it there, I really do), but is a place more important than a person (or, in our case, a whole lot of persons)? I don't know. I feel like we already made one big mistake (CA) and now I'm afraid of making another. My parents are getting up there in age, it's not like I can just say we'll stay in the south for ten years and then head back to NY, my parents might not even be around anymore. And I want my sons to be a part of their family, not just be the strangers who blow into town once or twice a year.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your response and that you're not the only one out there feeling a little blue. Hope thiings work out for the both of us in the coming months--Kristin

Last edited by artistatheart; 03-04-2008 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
I was under the impression that the job market in Charleston would be tighter than in NC (what with the Raleigh-Durham Research Triangle and all)--I'm glad to know that's not the case. Charleston sounds great! I know this is a stupid question, but could you grow an orange tree there? I really want to grow an orange tree in my yard...
You can't grow orange groves on a large scale, but I think with some care, you'd be able to grow an orange tree. Citrus crops were one of the earliest failed crops in the Charleston area, hundreds of years ago.

Charleston's job market is difficult. It is better than Wilmington, and the North Carolina coast in general, but not in the same ballpark as a major city like Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte. Companies tend to base their locations on the cost of doing business, and just about everything is more expensive near the ocean.

Quote:
Really, no waves at the beach?! My 4 year old would be thrilled. My 2 year old would be horrified (he's such a daredevil). My husband and I would love it either way.
No, there are waves. People surf at Folly in Charleston. I think what he means is that compared to Wilmington there are small waves. Wilmington has some of the biggest waves in the Carolinas, and surfing is real popular here. Charleston is average. Waves in Charleston are much larger than the Mississippi gulf coast, for example.

Quote:
And BlueLily--thanks for the tip about the phone company--that's the type of thing we always forget about . We remember to ask about the engineering firms, but forget there are whole industries that, although not strictly "engineering firms" contain a lot of hidden engineering jobs. Thanks, you guys (uh-oh, that's my New Yorkiness showing, if we're going to be living in the southeast, I'd better get used to "you all", not "you guys"--way too Tony Soprano), you're definitely making me think this move might become a reality!
I'd also check our Corning, Valero, the City of Wilmington, and New Hanover County. They should all employ engineers in Wilmington.

Quote:
And, finally, BeachLiving--do you live in Wilmington? What do you think of it? We've been there a few times (on our way to Carolina Beach) and really liked it, but I've read so many opposing views about it in this forum--an insider's view would be really appreciated.
I know you didn't ask me -
but Wilmington has lots of neighborhood diversity, and lots to offer. Some parts of town are high-crime, run down, some parts are high-class and wealthy, and there is plenty in between.

This is why you see so many opposing views. This is also why they film TV/movies here. Because as small as Wilmington is, different parts of the metro area look very different. There are urban, suburban, exurban, 200-year old downtown neighborhoods, 100-year old developments on the fringe of downtown, brand new gated McMansionvilles, vinyl village apartment complexes, trailer parks, slums, quiet million dollar places on the intracoastal waterway, million dollar beach houses on Wrightsville... and each one of them seems to attract a different type of person.

Last edited by anonymous; 03-04-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 8,906 times
Can anyone give information for engineering opportunities outside of electrical? I've got my mechanical engrg degree and not sure how I want to use it, but know that I wouldn't be fit in an electrical position! Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina