U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 AM

50 posts, read 93,113 times

Advertisements

I signed up for info regarding this new community development and have not received "didley" back in a very long time. Can anyone share if anything is going on with construction? Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:06 AM

4,961 posts, read 2,209,197 times
Other than driving by there on occasion, there doesn't seem to be a lot going on. There is a rough driveway and a construction trailer, that is about it. It hasn't changed since the winter.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:07 AM

152 posts, read 184,322 times
I have driven by it a couple of times last week and I didn't see any activity. The shopping center at Midway and 211 continues it very slow progress. The slab has been poured, but the new sign says the Lowe's Food will be open in the spring of 2016. The new Tractor Supply store in Shallotte broke ground a few weeks ago and the walls are already up. Go figure.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:03 AM

4,961 posts, read 2,209,197 times
I tried to see what I could find on-line about recent/planned development around Southport.

There is not too much recently (this year). A few highlights (paraphrased from memory):

The new road that will connect the intersection of 87 and 133 at the entrance to Sunnypoint and Long Beach road continues to make progress despite grade issues made by the contractor. Right now the sporadic traffic snarls between River Road and Long Beach on 211 continue, particularity with for those going toward the beach. New traffic patters are helping with thru traffic on 211 but the last I read was the project will not be complete until early 2016.

A Oak Island Town Council meeting minutes mentions The Charles but seems to be either in the dark or unwilling to publish any current information on actual status.

The Preserve at Oak Island continues to be an eyesore with unfinished buildings falling into decay and litigation appears to have all parties tied up with no one willing to spend the cash to clean up the mess.

The retail center at the intersection of Midway Rd. and 211 is making slow progress. The new Lowes Food store appears to have utilities and a concrete slab in place with little "vertical" progress being made. Slowdowns appear to be related to weather. In fairness it has been pretty wet and it is a big site that appears to get waterlogged pretty easily.

Plans for developing the Mirasol into a mixed center with out parcels adjacent to 211, larger big box stores and residential and commercial business sections still appear in recent news with interested developers, permits etc. moving forward. In the mean time, a mountain of sand/dirt has grown on site.

Widening 211 to 4 lanes between Long Beach Road and Midway Road is slated to begin in the next year or two. Due to the deaths of 5 people on 211 in a one month period earlier this year, local governments are petitioning to accelerate the plan and extend the widening all the way to 17. Long term state plans include widening 211 all the way to the I-74 corridor.

The construction of new power lines along 211 is making good progress an will probably be complete in the next few months. I'm not a big fan of telephone poles to start with but these new concrete poles look better and at least they don't lean at all kinds of odd angles.

Leland, St James and Southport are all leading the population growth figures in Brunswick county.

In general St James continues to grow as community while other plantations in the area struggle. This underlying community/population growth is a major factor in the growth of Brunswick county in general.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:30 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,822,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I tried to see what I could find on-line about recent/planned development around Southport.

There is not too much recently (this year). A few highlights (paraphrased from memory):

The new road that will connect the intersection of 87 and 133 at the entrance to Sunnypoint and Long Beach road continues to make progress despite grade issues made by the contractor. Right now the sporadic traffic snarls between River Road and Long Beach on 211 continue, particularity with for those going toward the beach. New traffic patters are helping with thru traffic on 211 but the last I read was the project will not be complete until early 2016.

A Oak Island Town Council meeting minutes mentions The Charles but seems to be either in the dark or unwilling to publish any current information on actual status.

The Preserve at Oak Island continues to be an eyesore with unfinished buildings falling into decay and litigation appears to have all parties tied up with no one willing to spend the cash to clean up the mess.

The retail center at the intersection of Midway Rd. and 211 is making slow progress. The new Lowes Food store appears to have utilities and a concrete slab in place with little "vertical" progress being made. Slowdowns appear to be related to weather. In fairness it has been pretty wet and it is a big site that appears to get waterlogged pretty easily.

Plans for developing the Mirasol into a mixed center with out parcels adjacent to 211, larger big box stores and residential and commercial business sections still appear in recent news with interested developers, permits etc. moving forward. In the mean time, a mountain of sand/dirt has grown on site.

Widening 211 to 4 lanes between Long Beach Road and Midway Road is slated to begin in the next year or two. Due to the deaths of 5 people on 211 in a one month period earlier this year, local governments are petitioning to accelerate the plan and extend the widening all the way to 17. Long term state plans include widening 211 all the way to the I-74 corridor.

The construction of new power lines along 211 is making good progress an will probably be complete in the next few months. I'm not a big fan of telephone poles to start with but these new concrete poles look better and at least they don't lean at all kinds of odd angles.

Leland, St James and Southport are all leading the population growth figures in Brunswick county.

In general St James continues to grow as community while other plantations in the area struggle. This underlying community/population growth is a major factor in the growth of Brunswick county in general.
Good synopsis overall, with two updates/corrections. Demolition on The Preserve has begun. Apparently the future of the redevelopment of the property is still up in the air, however.

The widening of 211 is scheduled to begin sometime between 2017 and 2019.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:27 AM

152 posts, read 184,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post

Another correction and additional information.
The plantations in Leland seem to be doing fine; Winding River, River's Edge and SeaScape are completely sold out with only resales available to buyers. Site work at the Lowes Midway has on/off for two (?) years with little progress until the last couple of months.
Brunswick County is pushing hard for a regional shopping complex at Supply (intersection of 17 and 211 area) with a couple of major big box stores. This location would a "destination" shopping complex to service the southern part of the county.

Last edited by Mr. Purple 2; 06-23-2015 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or