U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:40 AM

129 posts, read 106,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
It isn't as though Northerners are some sort of rarity here. There are quite literally thousands of them currently living in New Hanover County. I think you're over-thinking this
We just want to fit in. Here in the suburbia of Phx, us "North Easterners" stick out like a green thumb. They all make fun at how we pronounce certain words. There is a heavy California and Midwest population out here. They all look at us from NJ/NY as if we are Snookie & the annoying crew from the dumbest MTV show falsely depicting the Jersey Shore. Hence why I just wanted to learn how the NC folks accept the NJ/NY transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM

784 posts, read 1,633,880 times
You should not be concerned, basically you have to actually go out looking for someone who is NOT from NJ/NY. Almost everyone you will encounter around here is from up North.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:37 PM

111 posts, read 206,473 times
I have been here 11 years and if I met 10 people born and raised in NC that's alot.

And before you say it, I do get out alot.

Ron W

Old 06-24-2015, 01:18 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
We just want to fit in. Here in the suburbia of Phx, us "North Easterners" stick out like a green thumb. They all make fun at how we pronounce certain words. There is a heavy California and Midwest population out here. They all look at us from NJ/NY as if we are Snookie & the annoying crew from the dumbest MTV show falsely depicting the Jersey Shore. Hence why I just wanted to learn how the NC folks accept the NJ/NY transplants.
We do that here, too. Just usually not in front of you.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:20 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Quote:
The only two things we miss from NJ is the food and the shore.
Well, just know right away that, apparently, nowhere south of Mason-Dixon can on get pizza that is at all comparable to NJ/NY (we hear that almost daily, especially on City-Data ). But Southern food is a genre all its own that most come to like/love. And, also know that you will stand out like a sore thumb if you say "the shore"--around here, it's "the beach" or "the coast".

And, there are plenty of non-NJ/NY folks in Wilmington despite the concentration in certain "transplant" neighborhoods.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:40 PM

562 posts, read 931,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Wonderful info, thanks! We are very laid back people with "north east roots" Living in the outskirts of Phoenix was a huge culture shock for us, but we have definitely adopted the west coast laid back attitude. The only two things we miss from NJ is the food and the shore. We are looking forward to hopefully relocating to the Wilmington area in the next two years. Just need to obtain solid employment for my husband.

Thank you!
yep! you can tell you are from NJ!! you say 'shore' instead of going to the 'beach' LOL - Just a side note: there is a tavern in Wilmington, I think it is called "Copper Penny" and above the front door is a huge sign with an Eagle on it that says, Home to the Philadelphia Eagles South" LOL - thought you would get a kick out of that!! Here's information from the internet:
:

Old 06-24-2015, 03:29 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,694,213 times
Please so yourself a favor. Do Not complain that there are no good bagels. Everybody knows that. Learn to love biscuits.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,329,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Please so yourself a favor. Do Not complain that there are no good bagels. Everybody knows that. Learn to love biscuits.
Biscuits and sausage gravy A little slice of heaven!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, just know right away that, apparently, nowhere south of Mason-Dixon can on get pizza that is at all comparable to NJ/NY (we hear that almost daily, especially on City-Data ). But Southern food is a genre all its own that most come to like/love. And, also know that you will stand out like a sore thumb if you say "the shore"--around here, it's "the beach" or "the coast".

And, there are plenty of non-NJ/NY folks in Wilmington despite the concentration in certain "transplant" neighborhoods.
We have learned to make our own pizza at home. Arizona doesn't help in our crave for authentic pizza either. Just loads and loads of taco shops.

What are the typical "transplant" neighborhoods?

Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
The bagels here in Arizona are just salty soft donuts. We have family in NJ mail us bagels in the winter Less carbs helps the figure I tell myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina