Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 AM

129 posts, read 149,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
yep! you can tell you are from NJ!! you say 'shore' instead of going to the 'beach' LOL - Just a side note: there is a tavern in Wilmington, I think it is called "Copper Penny" and above the front door is a huge sign with an Eagle on it that says, Home to the Philadelphia Eagles South" LOL - thought you would get a kick out of that!! Here's information from the internet:
:
That is funny! I will certainly check it out when we visit, though we are life long Yankee fans...so they may not befriend us quickly

And yes, no one in NJ says "Going to the beach". It is the shore. Not sure I could change that terminology, go ahead and mark with a scarlet NJ...I'll take it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:16 AM

3,060 posts, read 4,796,219 times
You can't say you are going to the "shore" when you get to NC...You. Just. Can't.

Better option would be to use the name of the beach town you are going to...we are going to Topsail or Kure or Wrighstville.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:24 AM

98 posts, read 127,722 times
FYI - If you are going to Topsail, the locals pronounce it Topsull. It's a great beach.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 PM

65 posts, read 83,108 times
We are from Delaware and are moving to NC! We say "beach" here in Delaware, too!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 PM

605 posts, read 1,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SittinInATree View Post
We are from Delaware and are moving to NC! We say "beach" here in Delaware, too!
HI! Where in Delaware are you??? Our best friends live in Bear, DE and are getting ready to break ground (I think trees have already been removed) in Ocean Ridge Planatation...where are you moving and when??? We will be in ORP in about three-four years...

Old 07-02-2015, 07:34 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,999,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Wonderful info, thanks! We are very laid back people with "north east roots" Living in the outskirts of Phoenix was a huge culture shock for us, but we have definitely adopted the west coast laid back attitude. The only two things we miss from NJ is the food and the shore. We are looking forward to hopefully relocating to the Wilmington area in the next two years. Just need to obtain solid employment for my husband.

Thank you!
Since you bring up food, the fact that Harris-Teeter carries Taylor Ham, Hoffman franks from Syracuse, and what seems like the entire Boar's Head deli line should tell you a bit about the number of northerners here. There's also a pizzeria called Brooklyn Pizza Company that's proud to tell you they really are from Brooklyn and it definitely passes the taste test.

And towns like Carolina Beach and Kure Beach could be plopped down on the Jersey shore and they'd fit right in. Add the charm of the downtown Wilmington riverfront and you have a great place to live.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:56 PM

65 posts, read 83,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
HI! Where in Delaware are you??? Our best friends live in Bear, DE and are getting ready to break ground (I think trees have already been removed) in Ocean Ridge Planatation...where are you moving and when??? We will be in ORP in about three-four years...
Oh how cool We live in Dover, not too far from Bear. We are moving around next March but I would like to come sooner if I can convince my husband

Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 AM

87,982 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
That is funny! I will certainly check it out when we visit, though we are life long Yankee fans...so they may not befriend us quickly

And yes, no one in NJ says "Going to the beach". It is the shore. Not sure I could change that terminology, go ahead and mark with a scarlet NJ...I'll take it
Wait a minute--just a slight correction. If you don't live at the shore, you say you are going down the shore. However, if you live ten minutes from the ocean, as I do, you do say you are going to the beach because you are already down the shore! There will be a quiz at the end of the week...

(I am going to Oak Island, NC, in September, and looking forward to it, regardless of the sharks.)

Old 07-07-2015, 12:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,601,604 times
Quote:
Wonderful info, thanks! We are very laid back people with "north east roots" Living in the outskirts of Phoenix was a huge culture shock for us, but we have definitely adopted the west coast laid back attitude. The only two things we miss from NJ is the food and the shore. We are looking forward to hopefully relocating to the Wilmington area in the next two years. Just need to obtain solid employment for my husband.

Thank you!
I guess you would call me a three-quarter back. I left Wilkes-Barre Pa for Phoenix. After 8 years I needed to be closer to my aging family, was ready for a cooler climate and needed greenery back in my life. We moved to Raleigh originally because I wanted a bigger city. After 8 months of driving to wilmington nearly every weekend we moved here. It's a great place if you like a small city. I prefer something bigger with freeways and such, so it's just a stop over for us.

I loved Phoenix metro. Spent most of my time in Chandler, owned a house in Maricopa but just couldn't adapt to the heat and needed water back in my life. I also refused to live in a climate with winter. Now that I have seen more of the east coast I think my next, hopefully final stop will be in the south east side of Jacksonville Florida. The home styles are very similar to what i loved in Chandler, there is a good freeway system. It's a big enough city to support multiple hospital systems, more airline selection and some more niche commercial offerings.

I've met a lot of northerners that are very happy here. Sadly I don't get to hear that many southern accents, I need to go inland a little for that. On the flip side of that, there isn't nearly the push to join someone's church here. Raleigh was a pretty rough with that for a pair of non-believers.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,601,604 times
Quote:
We have learned to make our own pizza at home. Arizona doesn't help in our crave for authentic pizza either. Just loads and loads of taco shops.

What are the typical "transplant" neighborhoods?
I guess i should have read the whole thread before my last post!

Have you not been to Spinato's? Best pizza in Phoenix! I like the Ahwatukee restaurant myself, it's at I-10 and Chandler Blvd. I liked the "super 6" pizza. If you don't like it feel free to ship me the leftovers...and stop at Rudy's BBQ just across i-10 for some brisket while you are sending a care package. I don't like this vinegar soaked pork they call bbq around here.

I live in Ogden, zip code 28411. 2 of my neighbors are from the Pittsburgh area, another from Connecticut. I don't think anyone on my street is originally from NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina