U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:55 PM

129 posts, read 106,920 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing and reading about "half backs". I've never heard of the term before
Just curious if there is a large population of NJ/NY (North East) transplants in the Wilmington area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:35 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
I keep hearing and reading about "half backs". I've never heard of the term before
Just curious if there is a large population of NJ/NY (North East) transplants in the Wilmington area?
If you count the St James Plantation in Southport as part of the Wilmington area, there are many NY or NJ transplants. They are not half-backs however, as their original intention was to retire in St James. Check the long thread on "Thoughts or Information about St James".

The "half-backs" are more common in the mountains of NC. They are people who originally thought they would retire in Florida but could not stand the heat and moved "half-way back" to the northeast. I think that most of the people who retire in coastal NC had always intended to move there.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:40 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,352,813 times
I meet a number of people that move from Florida to NC, but many have some sort of NC ties and just found Florida too old or (ironically) northern.

Most of the folks I meet from the Northeast chose Wilmington. The ones that don't like it quickly move on down to Florida. I also meet a lot of military that move to Florida because they seem to think staying in Wilmington would be settling. IMO, Florida is big on dreams and QOL, but less about substance, history and culture.

We joke some in Wilmington about the "northerners", which is in reference to the northern part of New Hanover county (Ogden area), which seems to have more northerners. As well, you see a ton of out of town folks move into the unincorporated areas (not on the water) to allude city taxes. Most long time Wilmington folks have no interest in living in the unincorporated areas unless it is on the water...and have pretty much zero interest in living in Leland, which is also full of transplants.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I meet a number of people that move from Florida to NC, but many have some sort of NC ties and just found Florida too old or (ironically) northern.

Most of the folks I meet from the Northeast chose Wilmington. The ones that don't like it quickly move on down to Florida. I also meet a lot of military that move to Florida because they seem to think staying in Wilmington would be settling. IMO, Florida is big on dreams and QOL, but less about substance, history and culture.

We joke some in Wilmington about the "northerners", which is in reference to the northern part of New Hanover county (Ogden area), which seems to have more northerners. As well, you see a ton of out of town folks move into the unincorporated areas (not on the water) to allude city taxes. Most long time Wilmington folks have no interest in living in the unincorporated areas unless it is on the water...and have pretty much zero interest in living in Leland, which is also full of transplants.
Great info, thank you!

Are "Northerners i.e. from NJ or NY" generally accepted in the area?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:14 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Quote:
Yes, as long as:

1. You don't insist on constantly telling the natives how they should do things, and
2. You don't tell us how you used to do things back in Jersey.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 AM

105 posts, read 181,446 times
Quote:
Great info, thank you!

Absolutely, I don't think anyone ever notices. I don't think people in most of North Carolina care. Most of us are not from North Carolina anyway... Since 1980, NC has grown from 5.8 million to 10 million. Wilmington has grown from 56k in 1990 to 112k, now. In Wilmington, once you stay there for a few years, you will become a "local". Wilmington has so many tourists that you quickly become a local...

Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 AM

353 posts, read 471,248 times
Quote:
Great info, thank you!

It isn't as though Northerners are some sort of rarity here. There are quite literally thousands of them currently living in New Hanover County. I think you're over-thinking this

Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,352,813 times
Wilmington is very welcoming to northerners, IMO. It has some Old South qualities to it, but in reality it functions more like a northern town than say Charleston or Savannah. I think that probably is due to Camp Lejeune being nearby for a long time and having a northern influence with the military. Plus it was burned in the Civil War and occupied by Union troops.

Many of the movies made in Wilmington are supposed to be northeast towns.

Where you can run into problems is if you don't embrace a more laid back lifestyle than what the north has. As busy as Wilmington is, it's meant to be enjoyed and not a rat race. You can wear flip flops pretty much everywhere and those with "intense" natures about them can be mocked. Don't buy a boat and try to start fights at the loading docks at Wrightsville...everyone is there for the same purpose. I think Wilmington works best for those from the north from smaller communities...it is not meant to be a "big city"...its a coastal city.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:40 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Quote:
Wilmington is very welcoming to northerners, IMO. It has some Old South qualities to it, but in reality it functions more like a northern town than say Charleston or Savannah. I think that probably is due to Camp Lejeune being nearby for a long time and having a northern influence with the military. Plus it was burned in the Civil War and occupied by Union troops.
So were Charleston and Savannah.

And really, what possible effect could that have on the acceptance of northerners in the present day?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Many of the movies made in Wilmington are supposed to be northeast towns.

Where you can run into problems is if you don't embrace a more laid back lifestyle than what the north has. As busy as Wilmington is, it's meant to be enjoyed and not a rat race. You can wear flip flops pretty much everywhere and those with "intense" natures about them can be mocked. Don't buy a boat and try to start fights at the loading docks at Wrightsville...everyone is there for the same purpose. I think Wilmington works best for those from the north from smaller communities...it is not meant to be a "big city"...its a coastal city.
Wonderful info, thanks! We are very laid back people with "north east roots" Living in the outskirts of Phoenix was a huge culture shock for us, but we have definitely adopted the west coast laid back attitude. The only two things we miss from NJ is the food and the shore. We are looking forward to hopefully relocating to the Wilmington area in the next two years. Just need to obtain solid employment for my husband.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina