U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband has been offered a job in Washington, NC. We will be moving there from in August from Austin, Texas. We are looking forward to a slower pace and less people! Austin has an average of 180 people moving here each day and my husband's commute is 2 hours each day. We won't miss that either.

It will be my husband, myself, and our 6 yr old liitle boy. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to seek or to avoid? Because we have an only child we'd love to find a neighborhood with other children with whom he could play. Do you have anything else to share? I'd love to hear your thoughts as we will be moving before we visit.

We are excited about the public montessori but learned today that they have 19 children on the waiting for the first grade. Any thoughts about Eastern Elementary? My son will be attending first grade.

Many thanks in advance!

Leslie J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:54 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,038,572 times
Assuming you have a decent budget, most of Washington Park is nice. This would be the peninsula area east of Havens Gardens at the eastern end of Main St., which is a also great street to live on if you want to live in Washington proper. Smallwood is also a decent neighborhood.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
Washington Park is nice...be careful of homes that aren't elevated though because much of the area floods.

If you like Historic houses, the District is nice....there is even some waterfront homes. Stay as close to Main Street as possible. It doesn't flood.

I think I would have to look into Cypress Landing, it really is a beautiful neighborhood and the golf course is a hidden gem. It was built in a retirement theme, but many of the families of Washington have moved over there. Schools could be a concern.

Finally, there are a number of people who work in Washington who live in the Greenville area and commute. If you can't get something on or near the water in Washington, you may just want to head to the outskirts of Greenville..maybe the Eastern Pines area which has good schools. Would be about a 30 minute one way commute for your husband but on back roads through Grimesland, so no real traffic (except an occasional tractor).

Old 06-26-2015, 09:33 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,050,792 times
Washington is a decent place, close to the beach which is a plus. I wouldn't want to live there myself but if that's your only option... *shrugs. Have fun.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:53 AM

277 posts, read 273,969 times
G0ddess, can you share some of the nuances of Washington, NC that one might wish they knew.
I am wondering from the comment in red lettering, both for myself as we are contemplating the area too.
When people haven't a clue, these nicely put details can help a person make a better decision if a place will suit them or not. Can you please be open, for the sake of the poster and for me too?

Thank you ahead!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:06 AM

9,369 posts, read 7,175,772 times
For schools, I always recommend you research at ncreportcards.org. Washington is in Beaufort County. I spend a few days every year in Washington; my in-laws are from there and spend the summer there.

In Washington itself, it appears they split up elementary school (k-5 elsewhere) into 2 year schools. And the results for Eastern Elementary are not appealing. But,2nd grade is a whole different school.

Chocowinity's school is maybe 10 minutes to Washington downtown. But Washington is a bit spread out, so a better idea of where the job is would help. Bath (15 minutes east of the eastern reaches of Washington) looks pretty good school-wise for the earlier grades, not sure why stats dip in 7-8 grade.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Bo, can you describe the "vibe" of Washington?
If Washington were the backdrop of a movie.. how would you describe it and what would the characters be like?

Old 06-27-2015, 09:23 PM

the downtown waterfront area is being "reborn". The sales pitch of the 2006-2008 period, calling every river community/soundfront community the "Inner Banks" ruined a lot of people betting on something they shouldn't have...basically ever, in my personal opinion.

Washington has a very quaint downtown that is indeed burgeoning in many ways. But quaint and small are the rule of the day. When you figure that a house "on the river" is the top way to go, then folks get spread out. Washington Park and those areas within 2-3 blocks of the river downtown are the nicest.

But it's a small town, and I'm sure it splits into the haves and have nots. I'm a WalMart avoider, but I know its about the busiest thing going in Washington.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM

Very eloquently put. Thank you Bo 😉

Old 06-28-2015, 12:38 PM

please let me be clear - I don't live there, and have never stayed in town for more than about 4 days in a row. And haven't taken it upon myself to explore the trajectory of Washington's socio-economic progress. It's just personal observation and some conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or