Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM

12 posts, read 40,669 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Washington for about a year now and am bored silly. (Moved here for my husbands job) We are between the ages of 50 and 60-- he's younger and I took early retirement due to some wise investing some years go.

But what to do now? what are others my age doing with there liesure time?
I wish we had more places to eat with a nice atmosphere.

I have a dog too and would love to do something with him when its cold outside or too humid???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 AM

159 posts, read 608,742 times
There's an active Arts Council in Washington. Have you thought about volunteering for one of the events or exhibits? The downtown also sponsors events like Farmer's Markets, craft shows, etc., which could also use volunteers. The Summer Festival is revamping - that will certainly need volunteers. Maybe the Turnage Theater could use some help.

You mention a dog - have you looked into the local humane society. For a while, it was quite active and visible in the community. I don't know if it still is.

I think for many of the locals, church is the focus of many social connections, so that's always an option if you are so disposed.

You could take classes at the community college. I took a pottery class there once and enjoyed it. My classmates were of all ages. We took a wild day trip to the potteries in the Seagrove area (what a random group of people, yet we laughed the entire time) and to visit an art professor at ECU.

I know the area well, so I can feel your pain. I hope you find something that interests you!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I'm 65. I'm not retired. I lived in DC a couple times as a beltway consultant, and I still have friends there. I have a son there, now, who'se a journalist. Now mind you, I only visit for 1-2 weeks at a time and i always stay near Cleveland Park. I run the park or in the neighborhoods or both. I have tired of the many art museums. I play tennis. I watch college sports in the region, esp. if I am there during lacrosse season. I sail. I go to concerts, lots of concerts. I shop. I'm a man, but I love to look for second-hand shops and bargains and then i resell them from Denmark. I hang out in cafés. I take walks. I got to lectures at local/regional universities. I watch people.

It's a great city. I've watched it change from the late '50s-on. What a dump it used to be.

More places to eat? DC has some of the best "cheap eats" and greatest variety of food, in the whole world, and I am not kidding.

Buy an IPOD, download some 60s music you loved and that makes you feel young, put on your walking shoes, and take the dog for a long walk. Let the music inspire you; get young again. It's a great city for us youngies.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:50 PM

46 posts, read 211,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I'm 65. I'm not retired. I lived in DC a couple times as a beltway consultant, and I still have friends there. I have a son there, now, who'se a journalist. Now mind you, I only visit for 1-2 weeks at a time and i always stay near Cleveland Park. I run the park or in the neighborhoods or both. I have tired of the many art museums. I play tennis. I watch college sports in the region, esp. if I am there during lacrosse season. I sail. I go to concerts, lots of concerts. I shop. I'm a man, but I love to look for second-hand shops and bargains and then i resell them from Denmark. I hang out in cafés. I take walks. I got to lectures at local/regional universities. I watch people.

It's a great city. I've watched it change from the late '50s-on. What a dump it used to be.

More places to eat? DC has some of the best "cheap eats" and greatest variety of food, in the whole world, and I am not kidding.

Buy an IPOD, download some 60s music you loved and that makes you feel young, put on your walking shoes, and take the dog for a long walk. Let the music inspire you; get young again. It's a great city for us youngies.

Good luck.

... UMMM.... you do realize that this thread is about Washington, North Carolina? (population approximately 10,000).

That northern town called Washington is just SLIGHTLY larger and has 1 or 2 more cultural offerings than the jewel of the Pamlico...

Old 02-14-2008, 01:18 PM

12 posts, read 40,669 times
Thanks for clearing that up Foyle- it is Washington, NC not DC.

I do love our lil Washington, regardless of moments of boredom. Thanks for all the great ideas Esperanza27713!!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,161 times
I moved to Washington,NC three years ago. Teach at an elementary school and now looking for a house to rent that is affordable. Please help!!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I would love to live in Washington.

For humid or cold...buy a coat. Take the dog to the waterfront.

Volunteer to help out at the Pamlico-Tar River Foundation.

Volunteer to work at the Estuarium.

Eat those hotdogs (bright red) that my brother likes so much.

See if an elementary school could use a person to work with poor readers.

Get a boat and learn to fish.

Get a kayak and learn to kayak (never to old for that)

Drive the 25 minutes to Greenville if you want a better restaurant.

If it makes you feel any better, there used to be a GREAT seafood restautrant where the condos are now. That does not help now.

Get involved with one of the Churches. I know the Episcopal Church in town does a lot or outreach stuff. You can help out there I am sure, even if you are not an Anglican.

You have bound to have tried the restaurant, about 3 blocks down from PTRF on the main street. Can't remember the name, but that is a superb place.

Wow, I would love to live in Washington.

lln

Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Close to little Washington is Bath, a historical spot with real old buildings, nice grounds to walk around. I ditto the idea of running up to Greenville...they have concerts on campus, so you should go to the ECU website and get tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina