Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:44 PM

24 posts, read 40,380 times

Advertisements

Looking for retirement home. Visited many communities and loved Ocean Ridge. Am aware of Mark Saunders and his financial troubles. I was told that the main section of Ocean Ridge is completed with all amenities built. Was told that the HOA had taken ever the management and that there is plenty of money in reserves and being used for upkeep. Then I learned that there are 32 homes for sale, but over 80 lots for sale! Some of the homes have been listed for more than a year! And one resident said everyone is jumping ship and trying to get out. She said the golf courses were in bad shape.

Can anyone else give me the real scoop on what's happening there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 05:56 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Our home is currently being designed for our OR lot, we travel there frequently.

Mark Saunders has had his difficulties in coastal NC but is currently a minor player in Ocean Ridge, owning only 5% of the remaining properties.

Out of the 600 exisiting homes there are currently only 24 homes for sale or 4%,
which would not appear to indicate that everyone is "jumping ship".

We have not played the courses in a year, we do hear that Lions Paw is having some issues with the bermuda grass on the greens.

However, Golf Week 2015 had Leopards Chase and Tigers Eye under "Best Courses to Play State by State". Ranked 9 and 11 for the State.
GOLFWEEK | Best golf courses state-by-state courses 2015 list

Choosing a place to retire is quite a process, good for you for doing the research!

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2015, 10:16 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,757 times
JP.

We just bought a new house in Ocean Ridge and all the concerns the woman raised are ridiculous. The courses are in very good shape, Financials are sound, the issue with Mark Saunders has been going on for close to 5-6 years. community is beautiful. There must be more to the story with the woman who you were speaking to. sure, some houses are on the market for awhile but that is because some of them are much older and need updating. Same argument can be said for some homes in Saint James Plantation.

Hopefully you won't get swayed and I have heard nothing about people running to get out...

Jim

Old 06-28-2015, 12:22 PM

73 posts, read 160,406 times
We drove through ORP recently and everything was as beautiful as ever! We looked at a home for sale there and our buyers' agent - who tells it like it is - didn't say anything negative about the community.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:17 AM

If you decide to buy there I am sure you will love it, as we expect to. Hopefully you visited the Ocean Front Beach house on Sunset Beach. Beautiful facility. Only wish it wasn't so close to the fishing pier with the recent Shark scares.

Bottom line it is a beautiful place and I am close to exiting the Garden State.

PM me if you have any other concerns.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:27 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Ocean Ridge Plantation has a new web page!

Introducing the NEW Ocean Ridge Plantation News Page

Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info on new Web page

Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPearse View Post
Looking for retirement home. Visited many communities and loved Ocean Ridge. Am aware of Mark Saunders and his financial troubles. I was told that the main section of Ocean Ridge is completed with all amenities built. Was told that the HOA had taken ever the management and that there is plenty of money in reserves and being used for upkeep. Then I learned that there are 32 homes for sale, but over 80 lots for sale! Some of the homes have been listed for more than a year! And one resident said everyone is jumping ship and trying to get out. She said the golf courses were in bad shape.

Can anyone else give me the real scoop on what's happening there?
JB Pearse: We have a lot on Kirkwall Point - with the golf pond on our back yard - we bought two years ago i believe and plan on building in about three......Never had a concern with ORP -- the community looks and feels very stable to us --- values of the lots and homes keep rising --- very good sign.....

Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
I play golf at OC and see MANY new homes beng built.

There are MANY reason why some house don't sell right away.

Priced to high is a major reason.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,652 times
Also looking to possibly retire at Ocean Ridge and are going to look at it this April. Haven't seen anything on this thread since summer of 2015. Anyone care to comment on how things are going currently in this community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina