U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 11:04 AM

647 posts, read 1,036,386 times

Advertisements

What exactly establishes someone as a resident of NC?

We have been renting, just moved into a condo, but are not sure if we'll stay beyond the end of this year. We'd rather not go through the process of retitling our 2 cars and obtaining NC registrations and licenses if we won't be here.

I know you need to do all that within 60 days of becoming a legal resident of NC, but what exactly determines a "resident"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 12:00 PM

11,252 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
I know you need to do all that within 60 days of becoming a legal resident of NC, but what exactly determines a "resident"?
There is an official definition for the purposes of obtaining in-state tuition. There are probably different definitions for the purpose of voting and for paying state income tax. Intenetion to stay is probably one of the criteria.

IMHO, if there is at least a 50% chance you will not stay in North Carolina after the end of this year, I would not re-title the car. There are enough out-of-state plates that you prbably will not be penalized.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:44 PM

784 posts, read 1,634,470 times
The only "entity" that cares at all if you have lived here for more than 60 days are the police.... if stopped by the police for any reason and they ask how long you have been here, the answer is "just got here about a month ago, we're renting" .... absolutely no way to check on that nor will they try... period... just as long as you have a valid drivers license from some state somewhere and insurance on your car from that state you will be just fine..... people come here and stay for any length of time without being residents.... just like yourself they may not be sure about staying either.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:24 PM

So, even if we have just purchased a condo, it's unlikely that anything can trigger when or if we are legal residents of the state by virtue of us purchasing a condo.

Thanks for the quick response!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:40 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
"Residency" is determined by a number of things...your primary residence, where you pay taxes, where you are registered to vote, etc. Do you own a home in another state? What address did you list on your tax return last year? What address will you use this year? I can't tell if you want, or don't want, to establish residency in NC? I assume you had residency somewhere before you moved to NC?

Where you claim your primary residence doesn't matter until your challenged on it by someone...whether that's the IRS, state department of Revenue, division of motor vehicles, etc. At that point you have to make your case, based on the preponderance of the evidence.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:36 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,420,530 times
It may depend on WHY you are claiming residency. As mentioned, for in-state tuition, you must live here a minimum of 1 year, but that in itself is not always enough. This decision is up to the university or school in question and subjective factors come into play.

For other things, like filing Federal taxes in NC, I believe you have to "live" here half of the year (this is mostly an issue with people who have houses in two states). To register to vote in NC, you only have to live here for 30 days. Elizabeth Dole famously ran for, and won, a US Senate seat from NC using her mother's address, when nobody really thought she actually "lived" here. When she lost her next election, suddenly you never heard her claiming to be an NC resident anymore.

Otherwise, being deemed a "resident" of somewhere is subject to the rules for whatever particular entity/college etc you need to be a resident.

What is the specific reason you are trying to establish residency?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,333,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It may depend on WHY you are claiming residency. As mentioned, for in-state tuition, you must live here a minimum of 1 year, but that in itself is not always enough. This decision is up to the university or school in question and subjective factors come into play.

For other things, like filing Federal taxes in NC, I believe you have to "live" here half of the year (this is mostly an issue with people who have houses in two states). To register to vote in NC, you only have to live here for 30 days. Elizabeth Dole famously ran for, and won, a US Senate seat from NC using her mother's address, when nobody really thought she actually "lived" here. When she lost her next election, suddenly you never heard her claiming to be an NC resident anymore.

Otherwise, being deemed a "resident" of somewhere is subject to the rules for whatever particular entity/college etc you need to be a resident.

What is the specific reason you are trying to establish residency?

I believe she is attempting NOT to establish residency and go to all the trouble of re-registering her cars, getting NC licenses etc. She is contemplating selling her condo and moving out of State.

Please correct me if I am mistaken!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,420,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
[/b]

I believe she is attempting NOT to establish residency and go to all the trouble of re-registering her cars, getting NC licenses etc. She is contemplating selling her condo and moving out of State.
Well, the law says you are supposed to register cars, etc within 60 days. That doesn't mean plenty of people don't game the system and not do so, and if she were truly about to move, she could probably be around more than 60 days for awhile and not be challenged. If caught, maybe she could somehow prove she was about to move and perhaps not get fined, I don't know.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:09 AM

Thank you all, information has been quite helpful. I rather suspect we'll go ahead and register and title our cars in NC and get NC licenses. It appears that that should be done within 60 days and I'm not good at being a rule breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or