U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,080 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 59 years young single woman in the beginning stages of scoping out possible retirement spots in the next 1-2 years. I have lived in NYC/Westchester areas all of my life and am tired of the long cold winters & the high standard of living and want to start a new life. I would like to be within 15 minutes of the coasts of North or South Carolina. I am thinking of a single level condo (freestanding, no one above or below me), would'nt mind a side by side unit up to $150-$175k. possibly in a 55+ adult community. Looking for insite on all possibilities of towns & cities for me to research. I would also appreciate any information on other expenses associated with these states. (utilities, taxes, common charges, cable and general living expenses). Thank You.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,828,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanina View Post
I am thinking of a single level condo (freestanding, no one above or below me), would'nt mind a side by side unit up to $150-$175k. possibly in a 55+ adult community.
There are many of this type of condo in Wilmington, NC and also in Myrtle Beach, SC. They are probably not in "age restricted" communities but they tend to attract retired people. Look for the Merestone and Summerlin Falls neighborhoods in Wilmington, and others off Carolina Beach Road, but you may have to raise your price a bit. Wilmington has lots to do.

You may also find a few similar units in Leland and Southport. Expenses naturally vary with the services and how much maintenance they do. I think $245/month is a typical fee, but you would be best to consult a Realtor for actual fees.

Here are some past discussions:
55+ Condos
Single retired gal wondering about fitting in....

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-09-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 06:22 PM

85 posts, read 62,937 times
I assume you mean the high cost of living and not the high standard of living you talk about lol? I would argue we have a higher standard of living here, without the high cost!

Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 PM

There also single level condos in Little River, SC and North Myrtle Beach, SC. I like the looks the ones on Lightkeeper's Way and Lighthouse Drive in Little River, and they are in walking distance to the Intracoastal Waterway.

The utilities are difficult to quote as there are numerous different local electric companies. For your budget, you would typically get 1200 to 1400 square feet, with all electric heat and A/C. You could try one of the online Cost-of-Living calculators.

We find the utilities are not cheap compared to Maryland, especially water and sewer charges. However, in a condo, they may be rolled into your condo fees.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-09-2015 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 11:26 AM

BTW, if the OP is interested in natural gas for either cooking or heating, it is available in parts of Myrtle Beach, Little River and parts of Brunswick County and parts of Wilmington. Otherwise it is all electric, or supplemented by propane.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:26 PM

126 posts, read 148,039 times
Do you want the coast for the beach, or are you just looking to be near waterfront. I live in Dutchess County NY. and Work in White Plains, and I originally hale from Yonkers so we are practically neighbors. The wife and I just purchased a waterfront condo in Fairfield Harbour (New Bern) for half of your low dollar figure. I figure if I retired now our taxes, condo fee, POA fee, recreation membership and utilities would be about $500 a month total. Unfortunately I am still a few years away from retiring. FFH however is about 50 minutes from direct oceanfront, but it is right on the Neuse River and ten minutes from downtown New Bern. There are many houses at or below your price range. Town houses and condos are considerably less than your price range.

Between, Taxes, Unions, State dictates, and the cost of living, it is no wonder anyone who can leave NY, is.

What do you think this view would cost on the Westchester side of the LI sound, or the Hudson River?
The taxes alone would be as high as $1000 per month.
Attached Thumbnails
New Yorker looking to relocate to NC or SC-living-balcony.jpg   New Yorker looking to relocate to NC or SC-accross-marina.jpg   New Yorker looking to relocate to NC or SC-livinging-balcony-view.jpg  

Last edited by 85SL; 07-11-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 10:08 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,446,853 times
How much time have you spent in NC/SC that you know this is where you want to live? What did you like about the area?

The coastal areas of the two states are pretty similar except for the cities (Charleston and Myrtle Beach in SC, and Wilmington in NC). NC's beaches tend to be very touristy and not much else.

What do you know firsthand about the area? That can help people know what specifically to tell you to avoid or to steer your toward.

And if you've never been here, how do you know this is where you want to be??

Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 AM

279 posts, read 279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
NC's beaches tend to be very touristy and not much else.
As opposed to SC beaches?!

I honestly think the OP may be better off in SC for cost of living, but I thought that statement of yours was funny.

Last edited by NC-guy; 07-15-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 08:25 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,210,200 times
I hear Arizona is nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or