U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 4,401 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am planning on relocating to NC. I have been looking in Wilmington area and also New Been area.
I have 2 middle schoolers who are very active and also love sports.
I am taking a trip down in early Aug to narrow it down.
I am looking for any recommendations on good schools and active communities.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD008 View Post
I am planning on relocating to NC. I have been looking in Wilmington area and also New Been area.
I have 2 middle schoolers who are very active and also love sports.
If you like the New Bern area, I think you should consider Newport for better schools.

If you are more interested in Wilmington, there are numerous comments on the schools already. I usually recommend Hampstead/Topsail schools, but there are decent middle schools within Wilmington. Check this thread for comments by locals like HP91 and PapPappy:
Wilmington school districts

Is commuting to a job a factor, or are you bringing a job with you?

Old 07-12-2015, 11:13 AM

98 posts, read 77,721 times
There's a relocation magazine that just came out a month or so ago that goes into a little detail about the crystal coast communities. If u have a realtor they could send it to you, or just wait till you are there to visit and pick it up in a grocery store. It's pretty good, but I would just use the search function for this forum and you'll be overloaded with good information. I've been finding communities and then while on vacation driving through them seeing how they are and the distances to what we want to be close to. Very helpful as Google Earth isn't the best to judge driving time or traffic.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:15 PM

goldenage1,
I will be bringing my job with me.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:23 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
I think Wilmington would be a much better choice.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:47 PM

carolinadawg2
It seems housing cost is much cheaper in New Bern. I am definitely am more concerned with school options but hoping maybe there is a happy medium?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:45 AM

353 posts, read 471,837 times
Are you looking to rent or buy a home?

You can buy an older, brick ranch home in probably the best school district in Wilmington (Hoggard High and it's feeder middle and elementary schools) for $200k-ish - less if it needs work or hasn't been remodeled, more if it's been remodeled/updated and is closer to Wrightsville Beach.

Rent in that area for a similar type home will run anywhere from $1000 to $1500, depending on the same variables as buying.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM

Definitely renting to begin with until I learn what area I really fall in love with.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
New Bern's housing is cheaper. For the main reason why...scroll out of a map of NC and look at the proximity to the Ocean of each place.

In general that's the rule for property costs (there are a few exceptions) in Eastern NC. Closer to the larger cities also affects property value...as certainly can the particular neighborhood.

I would answer your question this way...where would your kids be happier? Where there is more opportunity to be active, where there is more friends, etc...? Not hating on New Bern, but the reality is that New Bern is A LOT of retiree's. Not a whole lot of kids to play with. It has programs, they are just smaller in nature...and it doesn't have the beach.

I think you may be overthinking this...because of your wallet.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:36 AM

HP91,
I am really basing in the schools and not the wallet. Just trying to get an idea. I have heard great things about New Bern from other threads. The questions you asked are very much the information I am trying to learn. I would much rather have active areas. I have looked at maps and I do see how far from the ocean it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or