Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 05:10 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenloyer89 View Post
Thank you guys! This is exactly what I needed to know before I moved, again. I wish I had done more research into OKC before we got here, because this heat is just too much for us. (sad because I actually grew up in the desert of California, but dry heat is a lot different than this stuff) If anyone has any towns in mind that might fit what we need/want, please let me know!
Look at one of the mountain cities on the Appalachian spine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 01:51 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Try the Currituck area just across the sound bridge from the Outer Banks. If you like the beach, its close to the beach, depending on where in Currituck you live. I live about 15 miles west of Currituck on the out skirts Elizabeth City. Can get humid now till the end of August but definitely not like Florida, but not enough to decide not to move here if you ask me. Winters are not bad either. Schools are good and not much violence.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:27 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
wilmington is extremely hot, and extremely humid. however, most of the east coast has humidity. I think if you're looking for something on the east coast, it's gonna be humid regardless. if you want something that doesn't get as hot, you have to look further north. I worked in VA beach about a month ago, and it was 117 with the heat index. a coastal breeze does little for you if the air it's blowing is that hot.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:41 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
Quote:
Thank you guys! This is exactly what I needed to know before I moved, again. I wish I had done more research into OKC before we got here, because this heat is just too much for us. (sad because I actually grew up in the desert of California, but dry heat is a lot different than this stuff) If anyone has any towns in mind that might fit what we need/want, please let me know!
I will say this if you're pretty sure the east coast is where you want to head. if you want to be near the coast, you should probably look into new england. 80 and humid is easier to deal with than 105 and humid. but they also have harsh winters. if you are open to moving further inland, there are great areas south of the mason dixon line. keep in mind that you'll still deal with heat and humidity, just not as often. here are some towns I like:

1. charlotesville, va
2. greenville, sc
3. ashville, nc
4. staunton, va
5. roanoke, va
brief examples. again, depends on what you're looking for. also keep in mind that some of these are retirement havens, which really does a number on cost of living.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Try the Currituck area just across the sound bridge from the Outer Banks. If you like the beach, its close to the beach, depending on where in Currituck you live. I live about 15 miles west of Currituck on the out skirts Elizabeth City. Can get humid now till the end of August but definitely not like Florida, but not enough to decide not to move here if you ask me. Winters are not bad either. Schools are good and not much violence.
And where would one find employment in the fields listed by the OP in that area?

Old 07-21-2015, 08:03 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
And where would one find employment in the fields listed by the OP in that area?
Lots of businesses now use Temp services, or temp to hire. The company I work for uses them all the time and hires from them. Lots of jobs can be had going through them, jobs not posted anywhere else. Entry level and skilled positions. There are always jobs to be had, but they WONT come looking for you. Good candidates, with experience, and good work history, drug free, ( some actually drug test right in their office now), usually get a call in a few days. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:26 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Lots of businesses now use Temp services, or temp to hire. The company I work for uses them all the time and hires from them. Lots of jobs can be had going through them, jobs not posted anywhere else. Entry level and skilled positions. There are always jobs to be had, but they WONT come looking for you. Good candidates, with experience, and good work history, drug free, ( some actually drug test right in their office now), usually get a call in a few days. Good luck.
You missed my point.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:13 AM

10 posts, read 11,275 times
I recommend doing what i did… My Husband and i (along with our 4 kids) moved to Jacksonville- mainly due to its affordability for large families and proximity to the beaches. It was an area i never considered until someone recommended it from this site (thats you goldenage1 thanks a ton!!). We are renting, which is a good thing, because this city is not where i want to settle down. However it did afford me the opportunity to explore the area and find our next and hopefully forever home which will be in Swansboro. Southern NC is better than northern in my opinion…check the demographics on crime, schools, etc. And yes, its hot lol but it doesn't stop me from taking the kids outside every day and besides…don't you want it to be hot? thats what these beautiful beaches are for

Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 AM

10 posts, read 11,275 times
also, there are plenty of jobs in jacksonville….they may not be in your desired field, but thats what fresh starts are all about. Good luck and i hope you enjoy your journey!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:34 PM

8 posts, read 11,270 times
Quote:
I'm originally from California as well but not desert, San Luis Obispo (central coast). Beautiful there but EXPENSIVE! I'm also researching moving to the NC coast with my son BUT, I know what I'm getting into there, I've lived on the east coast from Maryland down to Georgia so I'm used to the heat and humidity. What I'm trying to get away from is the freezing, snowpocalypse winters! For what you're looking for, heat and humidity being your major factor I would suggest anywhere above New York state. You're not going to lose the heat and humidity below there. However, cost of living is more up north so you may want to look inland. You're just not going to find your weather wants, on the coast AND low cost of living. Otherwise, as someone else suggested, the Oregon coast up into Washington State is absolutely beautiful with nice summer temperatures. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina