Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:17 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times

Advertisements

A new shopping center is coming to New Bern. It will be located adjacent to Moore's BBQ. Hobby Lobby and a brand new Harris Teeter will be located there. Harris Teeter's current location at Cross Road's shopping center will close once their lease is up in a few years time. How do I know this info, you ask? My hubby knows the owner of the site work company working on this project. You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
How far is this retail center from Harris Teeter #221, Crossroads Shopping Center, 2019 South Glenburnie Road, New Bern, North Carolina 28562-5228, and Harris Teeter's future Carolina Colours store?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
How far is this retail center from Harris Teeter #221, Crossroads Shopping Center, 2019 South Glenburnie Road, New Bern, North Carolina 28562-5228, and Harris Teeter's future Carolina Colours store?
This new shopping center will be located right down the street from HT's current location. The Carolina Colours location is 15-20 minutes away on the other side of town.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
This new shopping center will be located right down the street from HT's current location. The Carolina Colours location is 15-20 minutes away on the other side of town.
Publix is committed to its store at River Place Shopping Center. I wonder if Harris Teeter #221's replacement store may help or hurt business.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
That is stunning and unexpected news. I wonder if Publix knew of this when they decided to build across the street from Crossroads?

OBTW, I noticed yesterday they had started demo at the big Super Buffet where Publix is going in

Old 07-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
That is stunning and unexpected news. I wonder if Publix knew of this when they decided to build across the street from Crossroads?

OBTW, I noticed yesterday they had started demo at the big Super Buffet where Publix is going in
Publix could gain business from customers who find Crossroads Shopping Center's surrounding area convenient. I wonder if it also knew of Harris Teeter's future Carolina Colours store if the area could support two Publix stores in time.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix is committed to its store at River Place Shopping Center. I wonder if Harris Teeter #221's replacement store may help or hurt business.
I think it will a matter of personal preference. There are many transplants that live in New Bern that miss shopping at Publix--so they'll shop there regardless of whether or not there's a new HT. Then again, there are many folks who are loyal HT shoppers, so who knows. I'm looking forward to the Carolina Colours location opening because it will be a few miles down the road from me. I rarely shop at the Cross Roads location because it's too far out of the way. I only go there when I'm already on that side of town. Food Lion gets most of my business for now.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:20 PM

I think the area can support both retailers. The current HT location is always busy, the check out lines are far too long, and parking is a mess. If anything, Food Lion in James City will end up losing business--especially once the HT at Carolina Colours opens!

Old 07-22-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I think it will a matter of personal preference. There are many transplants that live in New Bern that miss shopping at Publix--so they'll shop there regardless of whether or not there's a new HT. Then again, there are many folks who are loyal HT shoppers, so who knows. I'm looking forward to the Carolina Colours location opening because it will be a few miles down the road from me. I rarely shop at the Cross Roads location because it's too far out of the way. I only go there when I'm already on that side of town. Food Lion gets most of my business for now.
I have not shopped at Harris Teeter in years, but I am quite familiar with it. Being a Kroger banner, Harris Teeter may be active in new store construction as Publix looks to expand in markets across eastern and coastal North Carolina.

It remains to be seen what changes could happen at Food Lion should Ahold's acquisition of Delhaize go through.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I think the area can support both retailers. The current HT location is always busy, the check out lines are far too long, and parking is a mess. If anything, Food Lion in James City will end up losing business--especially once the HT at Carolina Colours opens!
Food Lion faces increased competition from discount food retailer Aldi and traditional supermarket Walmart Neighborhood Market, Publix and Harris Teeter in price, convenience, quality, and service. Ahold has competed against Food Lion, Publix and Harris Teeter before through former asset Bi-Lo, now a Southeastern Grocers banner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina