U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 01:47 PM

58 posts, read 63,256 times

Advertisements

Going to look at a house in Kure beach for yr round rental. Anyone know of area ,I think its off of Alabama. We have kids do you know if its a community in that area or just houses. Middle school is Murray. Any info on crime or shoppingbwould be helpful. Thanks. We are keeping Mayfaire apartments idea if all else fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 05:42 PM

353 posts, read 471,666 times
Pleasure Island (that's Kure Beach, Carolina Beach, Fort Fisher) has a long history of being a bit sketchy. It attracts a rougher crowd than Wrightsville. Not saying that's ALL that's there - my sweet and wonderful son and his friends like to hang out there - just that there's a comparatively high percentage of yahoos and rednecks down there. There's definitely more crime and, knowing what I know about the area, I wouldn't want to try to raise teenagers there. It might be great for some and work out perfectly fine, but I'm not comfortable with the odds.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:50 PM

58 posts, read 63,256 times
Thank you so much for your honest opinion.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,809,684 times
It may be honest but its not accurate. Carolina Beach has a lower crime rate than Wilmington. Its perfectly safe. I don't know anything about Murray MS.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:59 AM

The comparison, if there was one, was between east Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach and Pleasure Island. Nothing I said was inaccurate.

Carolina Beach is, and has been for as long as I can remember, Hells Angels territory. They may not be involved in daily drive-by shootings, but I still don't want them living next door.

My son, other customers and various restaurant staff were attacked by a whacked out girl and her bf last week in a Carolina Beach restaurant. This was between the Kure Beach shooting incident and the drunk Marine passing out, hitting her head, and dying at Carolina Beach's Freeman Park. Yeah, all just good, family fun.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
The comparison, if there was one, was between east Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach and Pleasure Island. Nothing I said was inaccurate.

Carolina Beach is, and has been for as long as I can remember, Hells Angels territory. They may not be involved in daily drive-by shootings, but I still don't want them living next door.

My son, other customers and various restaurant staff were attacked by a whacked out girl and her bf last week in a Carolina Beach restaurant. This was between the Kure Beach shooting incident and the drunk Marine passing out, hitting her head, and dying at Carolina Beach's Freeman Park. Yeah, all just good, family fun.
LOL, Hells Angels. What other urban legends do you have to share?

The Kure Beach shooting was the first such incident there since at least 1992.

Statistics back up my assertion the CB and KB have less crime than Wilmington. Do you have any data, or just outdated opinions and old prejudices?

Old 07-25-2015, 01:12 PM

Apparently the local news, law enforcement, and various elected officials are working hard to perpetuate this "urban legend".

From October, 2013:
How police handle gangs in Carolina Beach - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Quote:
Carolina Beach has a history of motorcycle clubs, also known as biker gangs, and investigators tell us groups like the Hells Angels and Red Devils are still active in the beach town.
Quote:
The Hells Angels actually helped to quell gang violence from groups like the Bloods and Crips in the 90s, according to this detective. He said the motorcycle gangs think of Carolina Beach as their home.

Apparently it's enough of an issues that it was brought up in a Carolina Beach City Council debate:

Quote:
"With the (identified gang problem) in Wilmington what do you plan to do to protect Carolina Beach from gang encroachment?" said the emailed question. "Do you feel having Hell's Angels motorcycle gangs selling merchandise in the central business district this summer is conducive to the family atmosphere that Carolina Beach politicians say we are striving for?"
Gangs hot issue for Carolina Beach candidates | StarNewsOnline.com

This hasn't magically changed in the 20 months since those two separate articles were written.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:52 PM

"A detective who follows their membership and movement around the county said these gangs are not nearly as violent as the crimes that are happening in Wilmington. "

<Yawn>

Old 07-25-2015, 02:25 PM

How about those gangs of Wrightsville Beach? You know, the ones that would be relevant to this discussion.

The OP is debating whether to move into an apartment in Mayfaire or this one at Kure Beach. If she was considering Creekwood, or Houston Moore, or somewhere around Castle Street, your point would be valid. She's not, so it isn't.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:06 PM

Mayfaire Apartments aren't in Wrightsville Beach. Therefore, your point isn't valid.

CB and KB have less crime than Wilmington. The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina