U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,705 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Jacksonville NC. We have a small house that has a horrible yard. It's not grass, it's straight weeds. I wouldn't dare to walk on my "grass" barefoot, or let out daughter play on it. It grows at a rate beyond belief.

Our small back yard about 75' wide and 75' deep has nothing but overgrowth and a small creek behind it.

The thing that we cannot stand the fact the we cannot enjoy our yard. If I walk outside on our wooden deck, within minutes, I will be covered in bug bites and extremely itchy. This is if I even don't go into the grass. At night, flying insect like misquotes, Beatles, and moths swarm around our porch lights, and if we open a door, the house is instantly filled with same.

We have Orkin treat our house and that works great for keeping ants, and bugs out of the house, with the exception of the flying insects.

Is this normal for all of Coastal NC? Or is it because of being so close to a creek and so much overgrowth?

We are currently building a house on 6 acres in Maysville and are determined to be able to enjoy our new yard and are really hoping we don't have the same problems that we do in our current home.

The new lot has very sandy soil and I was considering sodding a huge part of our yard, or I was thinking about putting down a layer of top soil and then planting seed.

We are from Ohio and remember grass being soft and something that could be laid on and enjoyed. Are we not able to get this type of yard here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 01:59 AM

282 posts, read 352,431 times
It sounds like you need to go out, completely uproot the first few inches of soil and throw it out, and bring in new soil and grass. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Dig up the whole yard and start over.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:53 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,759,419 times
if you want a great yard:
get rid of the mess you have
put in a sprinkler system
put down good soil
sod
water

If you cut corners, you will get less results. I recommend either centipede or st augustine. Do not do fescue. You need a different grass than you used in Ohio, it gets too hot down here for fescue.

Great yards just do not happen, they require work and resources! Good Luck

Old 07-26-2015, 06:21 AM

353 posts, read 473,052 times
Add a screen porch to the new house, they're really wonderful. I'm sitting on mine, drinking my morning coffee as I type this. Stick a ceiling fan in it, while you're at it.

This is the little critter I assume you're fighting with? The Biting Truth of No-See-Ums
If so, I think your move to drier soil will take care of them. I don't have them in my yard - even though it's stays pretty moist, is bordered by a creek and a salt marsh - but when my kids were playing little league ball, at the local ball fields we all fought a nightly battle with no-see-ums. About all we could do to ward them off was cover every centimeter of exposed skin with heavy duty insect repellent (including our hair/scalps). It was pretty nasty.

As far as your grass is concerned, with your sandy soil you'll need to water and amend the soil a lot to have a decent lawn. Go with centipede or - my personal favorite - St Augustine grass, avoid Bermuda unless you want to spend a lot of time and money maintaining it just to keep it from looking like total crap.

Do yourself a favor, find an out-of-the-way corner and build a nice, big compost pile. Bag your grass when you mow, put it on the pile. If you have any food scraps (other than meat or dairy), throw them on the pile. Torn up paper and cardboard can go on the pile. If it comes from a plant, it's compost. There are a million websites that can tell you all about them, many bordering on fanatical, but they're good to have, they make free plant food, and they keep you from dumping toxins on your yard for your kids to roll around in.
In the fall, after the grass starts to turn brown, spread compost over the whole lawn and rake it in. You can water it, too, if you want, or just let nature take care of it. Over the fall and winter, the little critters in the soil will be busy eating the compost and turning it into plant food.

Good luck with your home and yard.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:46 PM

4,961 posts, read 2,209,197 times
Well ... sod is expensive ...

You can buy various weed killers for your lawn that simply attach to a water hose and you spray. There are also insecticides that will take out a lot of bugs.

I like to be leery of all out chemical warfare but .... with care ... it might give your yard a chance and compared to the cost of sod ... I just might be worth it. Once you get it under control .... Aerate in the fall, over seed with with a good hot weather grass ... maybe centipede or Bermuda that tends to crowd out weeds ... fertilize ..... cut and water regularly ... in hot summer ... water every other day. This is a long term approach but with patience and a limited budget ... it just might work for you.

Bugs like mosquitoes are never going to go away unless there is a breeze.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Well ... sod is expensive ...

You can buy various weed killers for your lawn that simply attach to a water hose and you spray. There are also insecticides that will take out a lot of bugs.

I like to be leery of all out chemical warfare but .... with care ... it might give your yard a chance and compared to the cost of sod ... I just might be worth it. Once you get it under control .... Aerate in the fall, over seed with with a good hot weather grass ... maybe centipede or Bermuda that tends to crowd out weeds ... fertilize ..... cut and water regularly ... in hot summer ... water every other day. This is a long term approach but with patience and a limited budget ... it just might work for you.

Bugs like mosquitoes are never going to go away unless there is a breeze.
It's pretty cheap if you go to a neighbor's house when they are away (on a separate street) and just dig up some for yourself. Just don't get caught!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM

111 posts, read 207,161 times
Take it from me stay away from Centipede grass. You probably never heard of Ground Pearl but its an import from Australia and it loves to eat the roots of Centipede grass, here is the kicker, there is no way to get rid of it. No chemical can touch it!
Short of scraping up the top 12" of soil your stuck with it.

I couldn't understand why I needed more and more water, fertilizer, and fungicide to keep the !awn somewhat alive. Until Lawn Doctor told me to forget it and ditch the grass and this is coming from a company makes its money from maintaining lawns.

Ron W.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Take it from me stay away from Centipede grass. You probably never heard of Ground Pearl but its an import from Australia and it loves to eat the roots of Centipede grass, here is the kicker, there is no way to get rid of it. No chemical can touch it!
Short of scraping up the top 12" of soil your stuck with it.

I couldn't understand why I needed more and more water, fertilizer, and fungicide to keep the !awn somewhat alive. Until Lawn Doctor told me to forget it and ditch the grass and this is coming from a company makes its money from maintaining lawns.

Ron W.
centipede grass!! ahhh! A feral hybrid between grass and centipedes!! Don't let your kids play in that!! It bites and has countless legs!!!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:07 AM

31 posts, read 33,501 times
We have centipede grass and it was here when we moved in so stuck with it. I would say it is for people that want green grass and hardly ever have to cut it. It is vines that grows across the ground. It sprouts without getting tall. It is not good on bare feet and isn't lush grass that you are used to at all. I was used to lush grass that was easy on the feet and it isn't happening with centipede grass.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,822,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
centipede grass!! ahhh! A feral hybrid between grass and centipedes!! Don't let your kids play in that!! It bites and has countless legs!!!
Don't quit your day job. I doubt the comedy thing is going to work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or