U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:00 PM
rwb rwb started this thread

3 posts, read 7,380 times

Advertisements

Because of the high cost of real estate in RI (and the weather) we are considering moving to NC next year. We will both be retired and we are looking for a place with real community and easy access to the ocean - we are sailors, have a boat and love being near the sea and beaches. Part time community work might be good. Cultural resources are important to us eg: theatre, musuems, art galleries, art movies etc. We are not interested in golf, but love hiking - and being Brits we would love a neighborhood pub - but suspect that would be asking too much! Land with water access nearby, a townhouse, or maybe even a pleasant low key well built sub -division with charm might work. All input most gratefully received. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 01:24 PM

956 posts, read 4,073,509 times
Wilmington might be your best bet.
Not much in the way of cultural outlets in many of the other coastal carolina communities. At least not that I ever noticed. My niece lives in Beaufort. While it is nice, not much in the way of culture.....Maybe a couple of small museums....

Old 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM
rwb rwb started this thread

3 posts, read 7,380 times
Thanks -- I had heard that Wilmington was popular with the Hollywood types these days! Maybe some movies had been made in the area. Do you or anyone know anything about the boating communities around there?

Old 11-14-2006, 07:16 AM

956 posts, read 4,073,509 times
Wilmington has a pretty lively arts scene. They have a TV and Movie studio there. I think the TV show, Dawson's Creek was filmed there.
Sorry, but I don't know much about the boating communities. When I lived in Eastern NC, we used to go to Wilmington for weekend getaways. I would suspect that as with most desirable areas on NC coast, it will be pricey. You can find cheap areas from which to boat, but those areas are typically kind of remote.
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 11,295 times
How much are we talking, for pricey??
We are coming from michigan, land of the unemployed...
Any and ALL input on the Wilmington area would be greatly, greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

Old 11-16-2006, 02:53 PM

45 posts, read 200,885 times
Lived in Wilmington (then Greenville then Asheville and now Orlando)and we can't wait to move back to NC. My brother puts his boat in at Scott's Hill Marina. (just N of Wilmington) and boats the intracoastal waterways. If you need any special boating info I'd be glad to pass on his email address.

We may be selling a house we're building in The Cottages at Holly Glen if we end up in Raleigh. (the carissa)(cottagesathollyglen.com) We reasearched that price range and similar communities...

I think you can't go wrong with Wilmington!

Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,488 times
Default Wilmington

Just south of Wilmington is Brunswick County. There are many golf course communities on or near the water with Intracoastal Waterway access that include townhomes, patio homes, and custom built homes. There are also many lots available if you want to build.

Brunswick County is across the Cape Fear River from Wilmington. Depending where you in Brunswick County you could be 10-40 min from Downtown Wilmington.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:17 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,357,197 times
The North Carolina coast offers many options for a boating/fishing life style. Wilmington is one of them. But one word of caution-According to
Business Week Online the most expensive housing market in North Carolina is Wilmington. The 2006 year to date average price for a residential property in Wilmington is $335,725.
Incomparison Morehead City has an average price of $275,314 and Beaufort (NC) $272,057
Coastal North Carolina offers many, many opportunities-With a little "nosing" and "poking" you'll find what best suits you!
Bill

Old 11-22-2006, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,455 times
You have got to be kidding !! Where did you get the median price of residential property for Wimington?? How about Carolina Beach,NC ?? Many Marinas and lots of properties of all types for sale..

Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 PM

212 posts, read 989,202 times
New Bern has all you seek, including the neighborhood pub. Being Brits, you will also feel right at home living near Tryon Palace, the colonial governor's mansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina