U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 05:04 PM

75 posts, read 197,761 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My family and I moved here with little time to choose a house to rent in the general Wilmington area (our house in PA sold and we had to be out quick). Since my son will be starting UNCW soon - we ended up in Wilmington in a golf community not far from Carolina Beach. We're actually quite close to the Cape Fear River. We expected it to be warmer than PA of course (and we have lived FL), but we didn't expect such High Humidity, mosquitoes and no see-ums every day. Its to the point we don't go outside until after 5:00 and then you get bit up. My poor Sheltie is very mad that I don't walk him as often as I used to. I hate having to slather on the bug spray just to unload the groceries.

I digress.....my question is - Is it any less humid - maybe due to a breeze - being closer to the Ocean vs the Cape Fear River? Is the mosquito and sand fleas problem this bad? I've noticed in downtown Wilmington (in town) there's less bugs outside, but we are not city folk. How about Wrightsville Beach, Middle Sound, Hampstead or Holly Ridge? any better? We have done some driving around, but not enough. (I think Kure and Carolina Beach may be too honky-tonk for us, lol). We plan to buy a house soon, and would appreciate some helpful input! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 05:14 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Humidity is the same. Right on the beach, there will usually be a breeze off the ocean that makes it more tolerable. Usually, but not always. And I mean right on the ocean (like you can see it), not "close" to it.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:15 PM

353 posts, read 471,248 times
Yeah, what he said ^. You literally have to be on the beach for there to be any appreciable difference. And sometimes the wind happens to be coming from the inland side, so you get no benefit at all then.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 PM

10,672 posts, read 11,292,569 times
In my experience you have to actually be ON the beach. Like not in your yard, but on the sand. There's a good breeze then.

Sorry you didn't know it was hot and humid. We coulda told ya that.

Your bugs might be better elsewhere in the Wilmington area. Could definitely be worse being close to the river. Stay further away from water when you buy your house. Unless you go for that ocean front place.

BTW, sand flea is another name for mole crabs and they live in the surf's edge. No-see-ums are just no-see-ums.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:39 AM

183 posts, read 240,870 times
Your on the coast.It is humid and you can't do a dang thing about it .Sorry ,you could possibly treat your property with a mosquito spray but it won't last long.It has been a really wet spring hence more biters.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
One thing you could do for walking the dog is to investing in some light-weight clothing with insect repellant imbedded in it. I have a pair of "Bugs-Away" slacks, and they seem to work for gardening.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:49 AM

4,956 posts, read 2,196,692 times
No

Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 PM

31 posts, read 33,336 times
Just moved to Hampstead 2 months ago. The first month I think I was eaten alive by bugs and mosquitos but now its gotten better for some reason. Hot and humid everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or