U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:33 AM

145 posts, read 234,925 times

Advertisements

Biscman,

What did you end up doing to Cable/Internet/Phone service?

Any good or bad experiences to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Over the past week or so I have been researching what Cable-Internet-Phone we should get. Presently we live in New Jersey and we have Fios by Verizon. We have the Bundle package which is High Definition Cable TV with Showtime and HBO, Wi-Fi Internet, and unlimited calling Lan Telephone line for around 175.00 a month for 3 TV's.

Obviously when you research the options they all sound like their company is the best and has the fastest internet, best TV packages, etc... We are moving into Ocean Ridge Plantation and I already contacted Verizon and they do not offer services in my area. I always felt best to ask users for the best recommendations as all the advertisements say they are the best. Would appreciate any suggestions from the forum.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 06:59 PM

9 posts, read 8,795 times
All i have heard is that your options at Ocean Ridge is either ATMC cable or get Direct TV. I too have FIOS in MD. We too are moving into Ocean Ridge and was wondering what builder your chose. We are in the middle of interviewing them.

Thanks

Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,964,650 times
Pilot,
The past 2 weeks while staying at my daughters home in Harrisburg NC I have been busy obtaining NC Health Care, Homeowners, Auto insurance before we close on Sept 3rd. Tomorrow is TV-Internet day. Been researching and talking to people who have DirectTV and although this looks most inviting I keep being told that whenever it rains it affects the reception. I might be forced to go with ATMC for TV and Internet and forego the house phone. We use our cell phones all the time anyway. For the 8 years we were back in Jersey all we got was Telemarketers anyway. Trying to keep this bill under 200.00 bucks a month.

If I really hate it I can always opt out after 2 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
Biscman,

What did you end up doing to Cable/Internet/Phone service?

Any good or bad experiences to share?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:24 PM

Guess we are spoiled with FIOS.

We used a small independent Custom Builder called Doug Jackson.

Douglas Builders and Design Inc.

6601 Wellsley Place

Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469

House will be in the October Parade of Homes. We might have one of the smaller homes in Ocean Ridge, only 2600 sq feet but that was by design. 6444 Castlebrook Way SW.

Looking forward to moving in, sold most of our furniture in NJ so guess we will have to do what I despise doing, shopping.

Ha!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olneyiceman View Post
All i have heard is that your options at Ocean Ridge is either ATMC cable or get Direct TV. I too have FIOS in MD. We too are moving into Ocean Ridge and was wondering what builder your chose. We are in the middle of interviewing them.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 AM

353 posts, read 471,914 times
Quote:
Pilot,
The past 2 weeks while staying at my daughters home in Harrisburg NC I have been busy obtaining NC Health Care, Homeowners, Auto insurance before we close on Sept 3rd. Tomorrow is TV-Internet day. Been researching and talking to people who have DirectTV and although this looks most inviting I keep being told that whenever it rains it affects the reception. I might be forced to go with ATMC for TV and Internet and forego the house phone. We use our cell phones all the time anyway. For the 8 years we were back in Jersey all we got was Telemarketers anyway. Trying to keep this bill under 200.00 bucks a month.

If you're going to pay for internet and are mostly using cellphones anyway, check out Ooma for a landline. I've had it for about 8 years and I've turned at least a dozen other people into Ooma converts. Lots of features, you have a back-up to your cellphone(s), costs about what you'd pay for 4 - 5 months of traditional phone service, and 911 can locate you if you ever need to make an emergency call.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM

Nice, will definitely look into this.....

Old 08-31-2015, 06:18 PM

145 posts, read 234,925 times
Biscy,

I think I will end up doing the same thing as you. I bet in two years the entire industry will change and there will be even more content that is being streamed.

Good luck with your closing.

Paul

Quote:
Pilot,

Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,335,442 times
Quote:
Guess we are spoiled with FIOS.

We used a small independent Custom Builder called Doug Jackson.

Douglas Builders and Design Inc.

6601 Wellsley Place

Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469

House will be in the October Parade of Homes. We might have one of the smaller homes in Ocean Ridge, only 2600 sq feet but that was by design. 6444 Castlebrook Way SW.

Looking forward to moving in, sold most of our furniture in NJ so guess we will have to do what I despise doing, shopping.

Ha!!!!
biscman, The photos of your home (almost complete) are really nice.
Where will you be shopping for furniture?

Will your builder help you select furniture for the Parade? How much input do they want to showcase their entry?

I found a site for your address and someone posted "damn that house is no longer available". Apparently someone else had their sights set on that home.

We will be down later this month to finalize our plans and then down for the Parade in Oct.

Along with Pilot Paul, Good luck with the closing and the final move!
jj

Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 PM

Fully agree, technology constantly changes. We are driving down to stay for 3 days at a 1 bedroom condo in Brunswick Plantation as our walk through is Wed at 4 pm and closing Thursday at 9 am. Having a couple of Plantation Shutter companies coming out to measure and get some quotes before the movers deliver.

hoping the rain stops by Friday. Brunswick Plantation condos are nice and they allow any size dogs too. We're almost at the end of the journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
Biscy,

I think I will end up doing the same thing as you. I bet in two years the entire industry will change and there will be even more content that is being streamed.

Good luck with your closing.

Paul

Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 PM

Thank you. Our house is the runt of the litter on Candlewood. All other homes are twice as big as ours.
Shopping for furniture should be interesting as we aren't sure yet where the best places to go yet. Probably in Myrtle, Wilmington, or Shallotte I guess. You have any suggestions?

Builder is pretty flexible and hasn't brought anything up for the Parade. He was just glad he got buyers who were willing to have the house used for the Parade. We were involved in a miny tug of war with 2 other partys and he accepted our deal because we were the only one who agreed to show the house in the Parade....

Thanks for the good wishes and hopefully our closing will go well.
and our movers show up on Friday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
biscman, The photos of your home (almost complete) are really nice.
Where will you be shopping for furniture?

Will your builder help you select furniture for the Parade? How much input do they want to showcase their entry?

I found a site for your address and someone posted "damn that house is no longer available". Apparently someone else had their sights set on that home.

We will be down later this month to finalize our plans and then down for the Parade in Oct.

Along with Pilot Paul, Good luck with the closing and the final move!
jj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or