U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,963,963 times

Advertisements

Over the past week or so I have been researching what Cable-Internet-Phone we should get. Presently we live in New Jersey and we have Fios by Verizon. We have the Bundle package which is High Definition Cable TV with Showtime and HBO, Wi-Fi Internet, and unlimited calling Lan Telephone line for around 175.00 a month for 3 TV's.

Obviously when you research the options they all sound like their company is the best and has the fastest internet, best TV packages, etc... We are moving into Ocean Ridge Plantation and I already contacted Verizon and they do not offer services in my area. I always felt best to ask users for the best recommendations as all the advertisements say they are the best. Would appreciate any suggestions from the forum.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM

562 posts, read 931,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Over the past week or so I have been researching what Cable-Internet-Phone we should get. Presently we live in New Jersey and we have Fios by Verizon. We have the Bundle package which is High Definition Cable TV with Showtime and HBO, Wi-Fi Internet, and unlimited calling Lan Telephone line for around 175.00 a month for 3 TV's.

Obviously when you research the options they all sound like their company is the best and has the fastest internet, best TV packages, etc... We are moving into Ocean Ridge Plantation and I already contacted Verizon and they do not offer services in my area. I always felt best to ask users for the best recommendations as all the advertisements say they are the best. Would appreciate any suggestions from the forum.

Thank you
Mary, Judi and I (all friends who are moving to ORP within next three years) will be anxious to hear the replies!! Good luck to you!! We all will be down with our hubbies in October - I believe JerseyJ will be down in Sept., too.....

Old 08-08-2015, 09:41 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
We are moving into Ocean Ridge Plantation and I already contacted Verizon and they do not offer services in my area. .... Would appreciate any suggestions from the forum.
I don't live in southern Brunwick, but I have read that ATMC (Atlantic Telephone) is offering fiber optic service in some areas. Web Site here: Home Page | ATMC

I would certainly check whether they have service at your address. They offer several bundles.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:05 AM

784 posts, read 1,634,470 times
Biscy... we've been here for 4 years now ( tomorrow is our 4 year anniversary of our landing ), we also had FIOS in NJ.... we researched ( and continue to check them all from time to time ) all of them especially Direct TV.... we have had Time Warner for the entire 4 years with the triple play, TV / Internet / Phone.... they're the best so far as we can see, very good service, quite happy with them.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 AM

145 posts, read 234,874 times
Quote:

Thank you
Biscy,

Technical:
I am about a few months behind you and I have been doing some research. I presently live in Northern Virginia and have the FiOS triple play. I have found FiOS to be very reliable which is due to its system architecture. Unlike cable (Time Warner Cable - TWC, in this case) both FiOS and to the best of my knowledge ATMC (Fiber to the home - FTTH - branded as FOCUS), there are no active components to break down between the box on the side of your house and the local video headend, most likely located in the local phone office (if ATMC is like Verizon). Time Warner, just like most modern non-fiber to the home systems (aka fiber to the neighborhood - FTTN) bring the optical signals to the neighborhood and then convert them to electronic signals and distribute them around the neighborhood. While this system is much better than cable 10 years ago, is not as reliable as FTTH. If high speed Internet is important (50 Mbps, 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps), ATMC can deliver it where the capacity of cable is limited and you are sharing that bandwidth with others.

Satellite:
While satellite has more diverse programming than TWC and ATMC, the weakness with satellite is that when it rains really hard, the signal can be blocked due to the density of the water moisture stored in the clouds. Twice this has happened to me while I was visiting SJP.

Programming:
Comparing TWC and ATMC, I believe TWC has more channels. For example the have a 24 hour day NC based news channel. ATMC does not. Some of TWCs sports packages include YES TV and NESN (just not live sports).

Are you a Baseball fan?
Every square inch of the country is divided into "home" territory for one or more teams. The Home teams for NC are the Orioles and the Nationals. Neither TWC or ATMC carry MASN which is the network that carries the O's and Nats. So even if you are a Mets, Phillies or Yankees fan and subscribe to MLB Extra Innings or MLB.TV all games which are played against the O's and Nats and carried on MASN are blacked out. It does not seem fair, but it's the rules. As a Red Sox fan, I am not happy. The only way to get around that is to subscribe to DIRECTV or DISH and subscribe to their respective MLB packages.

At this point in time, I plan on going with ATMC.

Fiber to the Home - Focus | ATMC

Please let us know what you end up doing.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:52 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,782,454 times
PilotPaul has some excellent points. It might be worthwhile to subscribe to different services to optimize what you get. For example, ATMC sounds like the better high-speed Internet, but DirecTV has the better television.

(We have a mixture of plans, and also an over-the-air antenna. The antenna is great when DirecTV goes out in the heavy rain.)

Old 08-09-2015, 08:07 AM

Beautiful down there in the Fall too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Mary, Judi and I (all friends who are moving to ORP within next three years) will be anxious to hear the replies!! Good luck to you!! We all will be down with our hubbies in October - I believe JerseyJ will be down in Sept., too.....

Old 08-09-2015, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the tip Golden....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I don't live in southern Brunwick, but I have read that ATMC (Atlantic Telephone) is offering fiber optic service in some areas. Web Site here: Home Page | ATMC

I would certainly check whether they have service at your address. They offer several bundles.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 AM

Thanks Stoney, we had TW for the 20 years we lived in Charlotte and had pretty good service too. Been a crazy summer up here, We were supposed to move July 6th but the contractor who replaced our deck 5 years ago didn't get the proper approvals from our town and we had to go before the Zoning Committee Thursday night. My attorney never showed up so yours truly had to address the group. Things turned out well and we got a 10-0 Variance approval. now we have to wait 2 more weeks for the decision to "Memoralize" on august 20. Amazing exercise and expensive.... If I didn't get the variance we would have had to tear the deck down. 16x20....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Biscy... we've been here for 4 years now ( tomorrow is our 4 year anniversary of our landing ), we also had FIOS in NJ.... we researched ( and continue to check them all from time to time ) all of them especially Direct TV.... we have had Time Warner for the entire 4 years with the triple play, TV / Internet / Phone.... they're the best so far as we can see, very good service, quite happy with them.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:23 AM

Thanks buddy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
Biscy,

Technical:
I am about a few months behind you and I have been doing some research. I presently live in Northern Virginia and have the FiOS triple play. I have found FiOS to be very reliable which is due to its system architecture. Unlike cable (Time Warner Cable - TWC, in this case) both FiOS and to the best of my knowledge ATMC (Fiber to the home - FTTH - branded as FOCUS), there are no active components to break down between the box on the side of your house and the local video headend, most likely located in the local phone office (if ATMC is like Verizon). Time Warner, just like most modern non-fiber to the home systems (aka fiber to the neighborhood - FTTN) bring the optical signals to the neighborhood and then convert them to electronic signals and distribute them around the neighborhood. While this system is much better than cable 10 years ago, is not as reliable as FTTH. If high speed Internet is important (50 Mbps, 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps), ATMC can deliver it where the capacity of cable is limited and you are sharing that bandwidth with others.

Satellite:
While satellite has more diverse programming than TWC and ATMC, the weakness with satellite is that when it rains really hard, the signal can be blocked due to the density of the water moisture stored in the clouds. Twice this has happened to me while I was visiting SJP.

Programming:
Comparing TWC and ATMC, I believe TWC has more channels. For example the have a 24 hour day NC based news channel. ATMC does not. Some of TWCs sports packages include YES TV and NESN (just not live sports).

Are you a Baseball fan?
Every square inch of the country is divided into "home" territory for one or more teams. The Home teams for NC are the Orioles and the Nationals. Neither TWC or ATMC carry MASN which is the network that carries the O's and Nats. So even if you are a Mets, Phillies or Yankees fan and subscribe to MLB Extra Innings or MLB.TV all games which are played against the O's and Nats and carried on MASN are blacked out. It does not seem fair, but it's the rules. As a Red Sox fan, I am not happy. The only way to get around that is to subscribe to DIRECTV or DISH and subscribe to their respective MLB packages.

At this point in time, I plan on going with ATMC.

Fiber to the Home - Focus | ATMC

Please let us know what you end up doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or