U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,361,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I honestly don't think another grocery store is needed out in this area
and totally dread another stop light on S. college rd.
Amazing that city planners allow more traffic on S.College road , it
won't be long before neighborhoods are going to demand sound walls put up.
Shopped at Publix while visiting Florida and was not overly impressed
and felt that it was one step down from HT.
Wondering what Publix is going to do more than sell products, as mentioned by
another poster?

I drive past this location every day and have not been
able to figure out where they are going to built the store.
All the corners have buildings on them but tomorrow I
will look for the sign that was put up Monday.
There already is a light at that intersection. And there already should be sound walls on College Rd along Pine Valley, but the State would require the City to pay for it...and the city barely keeps its head above water with all of the unincorporated area drivers that flood city streets everyday.

The store itself will be behind the Bank of America on the corner of Bragg.

As for the rest of College Rd...I have advocated for awhile that a 3rd Southbound lane should be added from Shipyard to Monkey Junction.

The reality is that if the City didn't approve the Publix, then it would move on into the County jurisdiction, and the City would lose the tax base (like all the Monkey Junction businesses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:06 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,636,155 times
Thanks HP91
we are in agreement on all but I want the sound wall
even all the way to Monkey Junction. I hate to think about
what will happen once the library traffic gets added to intersection of 17'th and S.College.
There is rarely a break for surrounding neighborhoods to get onto S.College now
that the whole stretch has been turned into U-turn hell.
The location is kind of puzzling since it seems
that the store then will be in the neighborhood of Pine Valley West and not easily
spotted from S. College.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:53 PM

Trees started to be removed from the Publix site this week.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:11 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,965,791 times
Default Publix #1516, Publix at Pine Valley, 716 Bragg Drive, Wilmington, North Carolina 28412

Publix at Pine Valley will be store 1516. ("Publix Wilmington NC #1516 @ Pine Valley." LDI-Line.)

Old 09-24-2015, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
Food Lion #221 is not a low performer by any means. Top 3 in sales in the Wilmington district. I've worked there for many years and I now currently work for Publix in Atlanta. The new Publix will hurt that store a lot but until then that store is doing very well

Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM

A quick update...exterior walls in place at the Publix in Pine Valley.

Haven't seen a site plan, but nearby residents are wondering if a sidewalk will be added to the Publix side of Bragg...that road will certainly be busier once Publix opens and the store will be within walking distance for a few thousand people.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,270 times
Just moved here after living in Florida for 35 of the past 40 years and doing an average of 50% of my food shopping at Publix. My daughter and her husband moved here 8 years ago. During my visits I went with them shopping at Harris Teeter a few times and in my opinion Publix will flat put them out of business locally...My daughter has all ways called Harris Teeter "the Publix want to be"! Their prices are comparable to Publix but their service isn't no where near that of Publix or even Walmart as far as I'm concerned. Most of the Harris Teeter employees, at two different stores, I dealt with would be fired on the spot for their attitudes if they worked at Publix. Bottom line is Publix matches their higher prices with their excellent service where as Harris Teeter just has higher prices. All though I've never been to a Food Lion in this area...in most parts of Florida you are risking your life if go into a Food Lion unarmed. For all you folks who have never shopped a Publix I guarantee once you have Harris Teeter will be a memory.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:15 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,965,791 times
Publix's entry into the Wilmington area will affect Food Lion, Harris Teeter, and Lowe's Foods.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:52 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix's entry into the Wilmington area will affect Food Lion, Harris Teeter, and Lowe's Foods.
I agree, but somehow the reputation Publix has in Florida does not seem relevant. Most North Carolinians have never lived in Florida.

We just go to the Food Lion because it is the closest. I make an occasional trip to Harris Teeter at 10 miles away. I get specialty items from Harris Teeter, but their basics are too expensive. I have always found that HT's customer service is great. I like that the cashier unloads the cart, and they always offer to help load the car.

I do wish some stores offered a reasonably priced shopping and delivery service. I am comparing to the Peapod service offered by Giant in the Washington DC area. Does Publix have a shopping service?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:54 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I wish Publix (or somebody) would replace the remaining Piggly-Wiggly stores. The ones I have been are dirty and poorly stocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina