Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

I came across this article this morning. Rocky Mount is #78 and Goldsboro is #93. East St. Louis, IL came in at #1. Those are the only two NC cities that made the list. Rocky Mount doesn't surprise me, but I am a little surprised about Goldsboro. I knew it was in the top ten most dangerous places statewide, but I didn't think things had gotten to the point that they made it on the national list. I knew it was rough there (having grew up in Wayne County) but damn...

Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I bet Kinston is feeling good about that!

Old 02-03-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I bet Kinston is feeling good about that!
The only thing keeping Kinston from being on the list is the fact that it's population is less than 25,000.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:43 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
" The City on the Rise"... Rocky Mount..

Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,066 times
Rocky Mount is a city of nearly 60,000 people, not without its warts. I've recently relocated from NYC to Rocky Mount and here's what I've decided. I chose to live here and I'm also choosing to try and make it better. None of this "city on the rise" garbage. (marketing without results) I'm interested in actually contributing and working to make it a better place. It absolutely sucks to be on the list of most dangerous places and have to overcome yet another obstacle to being an attractive place to move to. However, there are people here that care and are working to improve. Capital Broadcasting is investing a ton of money here to get the BrewMill going. (Brew mill to boost Rocky Mount economy :: WRAL.com) It's a spark...its something. Other places downtown there is construction happening and slowly people are taking interest. (OUR WORK, https://curmilus.wordpress.com/2015/...ount-telegram/)

Overall its not the sort of place that you just join an already thriving and ideal community. Its for people that have vision and want to help be a part of changing and growing a community. There is so much opportunity and potential here. Its located right on 95, halfway between NY and Florida. (hello airbnb) It's located on a River which is actually pretty attractive. It has a large, diverse, poulation. Downtown Rocky Mount is beautiful and in need of people that want to own restaurants, bars, boutiques, etc. It will be slow I know but I don't think we should thumb our nose completely at what could happen here.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:28 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
It's crazy because I never feel unsafe in Goldsboro. I do get annoyed by the bums asking for money/cigarettes when I'm downtown, but they don't make me feel like I'm in danger or anything.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
It's crazy because I never feel unsafe in Goldsboro. I do get annoyed by the bums asking for money/cigarettes when I'm downtown, but they don't make me feel like I'm in danger or anything.
Same here. I always knew what areas to avoid, like Slocumb and Elm Streets. Most of the crime happens along those two streets and the immediate surrounding area. Herman Park was considered a rough area, but during the 14 years I went there (1995-2009), the only trouble I've ever had was during my last 2 years of going there, Jehovah's Witnesses kept pestering me to join them. Goldsboro does have it's issues, but it's 10 times better than the ****hole I'm currently living in (Danville, VA).

Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 AM

895 posts, read 2,095,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Same here. I always knew what areas to avoid, like Slocumb and Elm Streets. Most of the crime happens along those two streets and the immediate surrounding area. Herman Park was considered a rough area, but during the 14 years I went there (1995-2009), the only trouble I've ever had was during my last 2 years of going there, Jehovah's Witnesses kept pestering me to join them. Goldsboro does have it's issues, but it's 10 times better than the ****hole I'm currently living in (Danville, VA).
Just out of curiosity, what do you do in Danville?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you do in Danville?
I worked at a small private garage until the owner retired recently. My grandmother (who passed away a couple of years ago) had a brother near Danville that had lung cancer (who passed away a few months after she did in the same year) so we moved to be close to him. We left NC in 2009 and moved to VA. I grew up in Wayne County (lived in Fremont most of the time and spent a lot of time commuting to Goldsboro and Wilson) since I was 6 years old in 1995 and wouldn't have left otherwise. Just of curiosity, why are you asking?

Last edited by LM117; 03-29-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Surprised Durham is not on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina